HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2014, 09:18 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
6,831 Posts
Discussion
Dr. Mad Thrust 90mm Afterburner Ring

Hi Guys, anyone using one of these? I bought one and would like to use it, but have found there are a few idiosyncrasies with it.

1) The LED's are on the whole time in one form or another when it is powered (very dim blue at idle settings)
2) It changes intensity quite gradually through the whole range of throttle. This is easy to deal with, I just slaved another channel to function as the afterburner controller bringing the LED ring to life at the very top end of the throttle.. so no worries there.

#1 still vexes me a little. At idle, or motor off, there is still a dim blue glow to all the LED's. They obviously should be off when the channel setting is to the lowest level. It makes me wonder if there is a setup issue with mine not covered in the one sheet quick setup page included with it.

Anyone have a neat trick on how to turn the whole unit off remotely for no glow what so ever until I'd like to light it off? I was thinking a seperate channel controlled "electrical switch" circuit might be a band-aid. I'm running 12.5 volts through the afterburner ring (minimum 11 max 40 volts for the unit). I'm not sure but I actually think I have some old receiver operated electrical switches in my hobby drawers.. now to see if they will work well enough to control 12.5 volts - I could wire it in the power leads. Sucks to suck up an extra channel but I'm using a 14 channel receiver in the jet anyway so I have one extra.

Anyone have an idea that is less "Rube Goldberg" than mine to fix the LED lights on all the time issue in this el cheapo afterburner ring?
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:55 AM
FLARE !!! WOAH
Joined Mar 2014
38 Posts
hi mate I don't have this system but I have a very similar one , from rc castle on my viper . and mine is the same , on off throttle it is dimly lit , and full throttle it is bright .
one thing that I was a little disappointed with was the ring size I had to fit it externally as my thrust duct was 84mm ID . THE 70MM version is 84mm OD .
are you supposed to fit them inside the exhaust duct ???
wingtipper is offline Find More Posts by wingtipper
Old Mar 30, 2014, 06:26 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
6,831 Posts
Well the loosely arranged afterburner "light strings" can be laid in a custom manner to suit the duct size. It is best to have them outside the duct, it's much more efficient for thrust / performance. If you have a clear thrust tube you can place them outside the thrust tube and then they will show through the tube. In a foam model with a solid foam thrust tube some guys put them aft of the foam duct and dress up an exhaust cone to sort of camouflage the LED's until they activate.

I am using the rigid ring in a Fly Fly F-100. It actually works well to place the ring aft of the foam thrust tube and then use a plastic exhaust cone lines with aluminum tape. The LED's are invisible until they turn on.

In a way I realize that I was able to not worry about the dim lights so much. As long as I don;t fly at night (ha ha) the dim lights, while visible inside, are not visible outside in daylight unless you are in a dark shadow. IOW when in flight, below afterburner activation settings, you will not see the afterburner ring.

Here are some photos of the install for you Wingtipper, they are in these "single posts" from my F-100 build blog:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=113
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=118
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2014, 09:30 PM
FLARE !!! WOAH
Joined Mar 2014
38 Posts
WOW Eddie P . that's a great job , amazing . thanks for showing . wish mine was like that .
wingtipper is offline Find More Posts by wingtipper
Old Mar 31, 2014, 08:27 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
6,831 Posts
Thanks Wingtipper for the encouragement sometimes we all need a little... with a little bit of cut and paste you will be right where you want to be on your build too.
RCG Plus Member