HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2014, 01:57 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
3,785 Posts
It's a serial port.

You can use all 16 channels (not 12) out of the box.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2014, 04:32 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2013
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn View Post
Thanks, Fred!

Does anyone know what the purpose of that unused, white connector in the battery compartment is?

Also, to use the radio in 12 channel mode, will I need to do any firmware updates? Or, can the radio be used for all 12 channels as it comes when purchased?

Thanks,

capn
Just set it to D16 mode in radio setup and then bind with your receiver (aiming your using sbus or 2 x8r's).
skquad is online now Find More Posts by skquad
Old Apr 19, 2014, 04:40 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jul 2012
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn View Post
Thanks, Fred!

Does anyone know what the purpose of that unused, white connector in the battery compartment is?

Also, to use the radio in 12 channel mode, will I need to do any firmware updates? Or, can the radio be used for all 12 channels as it comes when purchased?

Thanks,

capn
I take it you're asking about the Internal RF mode setting LR12. That mode is planned for when FrSKY makes available/introduces their announced long range 12-channel receiver. Apparently intended for FPV, so it probably won't support telemetry.

Since the serial port is inside the battery compartment, it's likely for a future product like a Bluetooth wireless Trainer connectivity. No one seems to know what it's actually for.
Barry2020 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2020
Old Yesterday, 01:07 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry2020 View Post
Since the serial port is inside the battery compartment, it's likely for a future product like a Bluetooth wireless Trainer connectivity. No one seems to know what it's actually for.
Maybe it is the connector where you would send and receive data when using the mysterious SP2UART sensor. If so, not the best location.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM
Joined Apr 2010
2 Posts
DSMX/DSM2 Module Hack

Hi guys,
I'm new here. I've been flying rc for a few years now at my local field. I've recently ordered a Taranis and x8r combo from Aloft Hobbies, It should be here early this week. I've read through every page of this thread, all I can say is wow, you guys have done some really nice mods!

Anyways I'm going to do the removable antenna mod, with a RP-sma cable, UFL and 2dbi antenna.

Also I happened to acquire a dx5e which I'm going to steal the rf module from it. theres also a Spektrum integrated case on its way to me from ebay. I've read on other sites that Dx5e module requires a serial data stream to function (not PPM). From fooling around with companion9x and the Taranis simulator, I've been unable to figure out how to get this option on the TX. Is there some special patch or something that needs to flashed to the Taranis firmware to allow DSM2/DSMX serial data to be sent to the external pins?

Thanks for your help,
Mike
gun_mike is offline Find More Posts by gun_mike
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
15,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gun_mike View Post
Hi guys,
I'm new here. I've been flying rc for a few years now at my local field. I've recently ordered a Taranis and x8r combo from Aloft Hobbies, It should be here early this week. I've read through every page of this thread, all I can say is wow, you guys have done some really nice mods!

Anyways I'm going to do the removable antenna mod, with a RP-sma cable, UFL and 2dbi antenna.

Also I happened to acquire a dx5e which I'm going to steal the rf module from it. theres also a Spektrum integrated case on its way to me from ebay. I've read on other sites that Dx5e module requires a serial data stream to function (not PPM). From fooling around with companion9x and the Taranis simulator, I've been unable to figure out how to get this option on the TX. Is there some special patch or something that needs to flashed to the Taranis firmware to allow DSM2/DSMX serial data to be sent to the external pins?

Thanks for your help,
Mike
If you install the latest version (R2940) it will include DSM2 mode.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM
Joined Apr 2010
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
If you install the latest version (R2940) it will include DSM2 mode.
Thanks for your reply.

Mike
gun_mike is offline Find More Posts by gun_mike
Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
879 Posts
Is there a place where you can put notes on a model or a mod that will give you a notes page? I've got too many models and it would be nice to have my notes at my fingertips on the radio. I currently use Evernote for this.
Adding voice tags to the switches is great, but it doesn't completely replace a need to have additional notes.
Kerbob is offline Find More Posts by Kerbob
Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbob View Post
Is there a place where you can put notes on a model or a mod that will give you a notes page? I've got too many models and it would be nice to have my notes at my fingertips on the radio. I currently use Evernote for this.
Adding voice tags to the switches is great, but it doesn't completely replace a need to have additional notes.
I believe version 2.0 has that option.
bobf is offline Find More Posts by bobf
Old Today, 12:45 AM
Joined Jul 2011
65 Posts
Hello everybody!I need to install booster 1w on my Taranis!But when I install it and turn the radio on it shows "antenna problem"Have anybody installed booster?Help me please!
andrew199936 is online now Find More Posts by andrew199936
Old Today, 01:34 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,180 Posts
Hey Can you Taranisites check my wiring?

I am wiring up my special AIO goggles plug. I use a special snap-on DIN to power my goggles from the 9x/9xr, and also to bring Headtracker PPM into the radio trainer port PPM - without using a messy tangle of wires. I just need to to be sure this is going to work. I did plug in a 1/8 jack and test the continuity. And I compared to how my 9x is wired up using continuity with the same 1/8 jack.

9x wiring, I have been using 1.5 years powering my goggles and running headtracking, works great:

Taranis wiring: (12V + and - tapped at the lipo plug)

I think I will do the antenna mod - put in a SMA on a coax pigtail I have. Just so I can use my patch some times.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker