HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2013, 02:58 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,724 Posts
Build Log
EQT - Design inspired by Lee Renaud

The EQT was inspired by the .049 powered Q-tee designed by Lee Renaud years ago. The Q-tee was my first RC model back about 1980, so I have always had a soft spot for Parasol type designs. Over the years I have built a number of them. The last few years I had converted a few to electric. I always thought it would be nice to come out with a similar design but have it ready for electric power right from the start rather than a conversion. The EQT is the result. Originally I designed this version for myself and my kids. (I have three more pilots in the family). I have had many people inquire about a kit for my version so I decided to release a short kit. If your looking for an original Q-tee this is not your plane. My version is lighter as well as accommodations for an outrunner and other minor changes.

All the hard parts to cut out are done on the laser. Here is a list of the items you will need to complete the basic airframe. Regular builders my have what you need in the scrap box.

For fuselage.
1 each 3/32 x 1/8 x 36 balsa
1 each 1/8 x 1/8 x 36 balsa
1/8 x 1/4 hardwood for cabanes

For wing
1 each ¼ x ¼ x 36 balsa
1 each 1/8 x ½ x 36 hard balsa or hardwood
1 each ¼ x 1 balsa trailing edge stock

For tail
1 each 3/32 x 3/16 x 36 balsa
1 each 3/16 x ¼ x 36 balsa

1 sheet 1/16 x 4 x 36 for wing and fuselage sheeting.

Landing gear wire .078 was used.

I have thought about releasing a full kit but at this time I'll stick with a short kit. I may in the future add more to the kit such as sheeting and wire, but I don't think it will be any time soon.

If your interested send me an e-mail at jtech@jtechlaser.com

Photos coming soon.

Jim
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Last edited by eliworm; Jun 30, 2013 at 10:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:25 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,724 Posts
Keep everything square. Remember neatness counts. On the sheeting for the forward fuselage, I have used both 1/16 and 3/32. What ever you have laying around will work. I have wet formed it in a single piece or as I did here, I planked the forward section and sanded everything smooth.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:29 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,724 Posts
Here is the stab ready for sanding. Notice the strip wood is slightly wider than what's called out for on the plan. Use whatever you have that's close as long as it's the right thickness. I had 3/16 square on hand so that's what I used.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:48 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,525 Posts
What size are you building this?

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:44 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,724 Posts
Hi Andy,
Spars are 36 inches but with the wing tips wingspan is 37.3 inches. I'll be adding more photos and details as I go.

Jim
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:07 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,958 Posts

The Q-Tee was my first RC as well, about the same time! After a number of successful flights, I decided to do something stupid. Fear not, as I still have that Q-Tee, and (after more than 30 years!) I am almost complete with the repairs!

I also have an Aerosphere kit that I plan to convert to e-power. Some time ago, prior to purchasing the Aerosphere kit, I'd played with my CAD to attempt what you have accomplished.

Watching!

James
Deuce is online now Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Jun 29, 2013, 01:42 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliworm View Post
Hi Andy,
Spars are 36 inches but with the wing tips wingspan is 37.3 inches. I'll be adding more photos and details as I go.
Thanks, Jim. It would be cool to have your design changes pointed out as you build. Basically telling us what you are doing differently than the original. It's always interesting to hear what others think.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:23 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Thanks, Jim. It would be cool to have your design changes pointed out as you build. Basically telling us what you are doing differently than the original. It's always interesting to hear what others think.

Andy
The main change is the redesigned nose to easily mount an outrunner. Lighter ply at the nose. Simplified the fuselage formers. Swiss cheese the airframe for lighter weight. Wingtips for a bit more style. I also use balsa for the leading edge and spar in the wing but hardwood could be used if someone wanted to go that route.

This evening I was in a covering mood so I started there even though I haven't built the wing yet.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 02:59 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Good project Jim. The QT was one of the first designs I recall from when I got access to US model mags, always have thought it a cute little model. Following your build, looking forward to how you fit/swap the battery.

Parasol mono's are neat and not seen enough!

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jul 02, 2013, 03:29 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,428 Posts
A really nice little flyer you'll have there once it's finished.
Given it's four days since you posted, the wing must surely be finished and covered by now, right?

Gordon
GeeW is online now Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Jul 02, 2013, 08:01 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,724 Posts
Thanks for the kind words all.

Gordon, actually I have a few wings done but they are the wrong color. I needed some good build photos to post so I'll build a fresh wing. It's that four letter word in the way right now. (work)

Jim
Old Jul 05, 2013, 12:26 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,724 Posts
OK, that four letter word that starts with a "w" is out of the way. (wife?)

Here is a photo of the elevators joined together with the 1/8 hardwood dowel. Ready for sanding and covering.
Old Jul 06, 2013, 08:04 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,724 Posts
A few photos showing the wing center section. I do the shaping of the leading edge and trailing edge cut out before I join the two halves together. A strip of fiberglass wrapped around the center section and some final sanding and I'll be ready to cover.