GLM
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,374 Posts
Discussion
“Dreams Of Empire” – Bart83 – GLM

Dreams of Empire

Hello all,

Bart83 and I would like to announce the launch of a joint project we have been working on across the world – his design of an Empire flying boat – and my laser cutting of a short kit for same.

If you are seeing this - hopefully you have been following his most excellent build thread with step by step CAD drawings and elegant photographs depicting the evolution and realization of his dream.

I contacted Bart early on in his thread and discussed the idea of a joint venture as we both have a deep affection for flying boats – which has resulted in a wonderful collaboration bringing this together. I have always felt it takes more than one to make this happen in a reasonable amount of time with as busy as life can be sometimes.

All credit goes to Bart for his production and engineering of the CAD plans for the aircraft. Plainly a work of art!

His is the main thread to follow as he is well ahead on all aspects and of course no thunder can be matched with this magnificent storm of genius.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1719075

Bart will of course chime in as he gave the go ahead to go public and "Fire away!!!"

He has created a contact address for plans at: Flyingdutchmanplans@hotmail.com Available when the maiden flight has occurred.

The Short kit can be viewed here:
http://www.morganmill.com/RC/Short_E...3_Class-C.html

As you might come upon this from an alternate route Bart's original thread can be found here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1719075

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Last edited by GLM; Jan 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:15 PM
GLM
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,374 Posts
Some pictures of my progress...

I'll fill in parts of the story of this beauty as I go - for now I have to do some work...

Edit - 1-17-13

It was Christmas time and I got a new camera in the middle of taking build photos - and of course the numbering for the photos got scrambled - so they are out of sequence.

I started with a little different approach as I wanted to catch up with Bart and his build. I laser cut the side framing out of MPF (Model Plane Foam) then laminated the sheeting to it - this was a boon time wise - might be a few grams heavier however. It also might be an option in the short kit - depends on requests.

Sorry for the shot gun blast of pictures - as things calm down a bit I'll post pictures in sequence for a more traditional build thread.

Cheers!

Gary
Last edited by GLM; Jan 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:27 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,391 Posts
Looking real good Gary !!

Good luck and lots of joy on your build.

SUBSCRIBED !!!!!

Cheers,

Bart
Bart83 is online now Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:42 PM
GLM
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,374 Posts
Thanks Bart!

I cant' wait to fly it at our bi-annual float fly in April.

Cheers!

Gary
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:58 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,397 Posts
All the best with the build GLM (and Bart too), and it's good to know that Ivan's spark of innovation is inspiring new models in the "Spirit of Ivan"
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:57 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2011
78 Posts
Hi Bart / Gary,

Wonderful job !! Have seen the website as well and looks great
Hope to continue building the Empire next week, but still a lot of other work waiting........

Succes and regards Paul
Kootje is online now Find More Posts by Kootje
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:32 PM
GLM
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith Mike View Post
All the best with the build GLM (and Bart too), and it's good to know that Ivan's spark of innovation is inspiring new models in the "Spirit of Ivan"
Hi Mike,

Yes the box frame then the sub assemblies work very well.

Thanks for the best wishes!

Cheers!

Gary
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:36 PM
GLM
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootje View Post
Hi Bart / Gary,

Wonderful job !! Have seen the website as well and looks great
Hope to continue building the Empire next week, but still a lot of other work waiting........

Succes and regards Paul
Thanks Paul,

I saw your pictures earlier and was inspired by your build. You're welcome to put a link up if you wish. I think you may have contacted me earlier this year about my Dornier Wal - was that you?

Cheers!

Gary
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:49 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,391 Posts
Here is Paul's masterpiece in the making , he is also going for a full sheeted hull.

Name: Paul.jpg
Views: 162
Size: 58.1 KB
Description:

Cheers,

Bart
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:16 AM
GLM
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,374 Posts
Got some more work done on the stabilizer.

I got stuck waiting for parts - past that now and have a little airspeed

This is Bart's design for the stabilizer mechanism - pure genius...

I drilled a through hole in the hex elevator rod joiner and used ss set screws to get a bite on the rod - seems to hold well. Collars to hold the rods against the the brass bushings.

Did the black control arms with the laser - wow - you would think that rather easy but I seem to have figured out the most difficult way possible. Won't go into details as it might incriminate me...

Used Sullivan Golden Rods but had to turn the 4-40 all thread down on one end to 2-56 so I could use the Red & Yellow version as I wanted the bigger clevis - things were getting a little tight in there - was hoping to use the larger Black and yellow but they were to short...

Next to build are the horizontal and vertical stabs.

Looking forward to finishing the tail section - lot of work there.

I'm going to airbrush some Minwax Polycrylic on the hull framing before I sheet it to hopefully add a little water protection.

Here are some pictures of the tail mechanizm.

Cheers!

Gary
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:31 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,391 Posts
Nice Work Gary ,

As you can see it is a tigt fit back there but is wel worth the struggle. Make sure to spray a little corrosionX on the metal and brass parts to prevent any unwanted corrosion or rust as it may
make the controls move heavy.

As winter wonderland has arrived here in NL i am a little busy on my work. Hope to get some work done on monday. Dit prepare some the motor , servo and led wires this week so i'm almost ready for the top sheeting of the wing.

Name: Afb0025.jpg
Views: 667
Size: 171.1 KB
Description: Name: Afb0028.jpg
Views: 75
Size: 111.8 KB
Description:

Cheers,

Bart
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:49 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,391 Posts
Hi Gary ,

What is this tool on the upper left of this photo ? A fellow modeler from the dutch forum asked me.

Cheers,

Bart
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:49 AM
GLM
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart83 View Post
Nice Work Gary ,

As you can see it is a tigt fit back there but is wel worth the struggle. Make sure to spray a little corrosionX on the metal and brass parts to prevent any unwanted corrosion or rust as it may
make the controls move heavy.

As winter wonderland has arrived here in NL i am a little busy on my work. Hope to get some work done on monday. Dit prepare some the motor , servo and led wires this week so i'm almost ready for the top sheeting of the wing.

Attachment 5458189 Attachment 5458190

Cheers,

Bart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart83 View Post
Hi Gary ,

What is this tool on the upper left of this photo ? A fellow modeler from the dutch forum asked me.

Cheers,

Bart
Hi Bart,

Thank you

Definitely worth the struggle! I have dreamed of internal controls forever!
I marvel at what you came up with every time I put my hands to work.

I call CorrsionX the magic juice - I wouldn't go anywhere with out it.

Trying to figure a way to make an access hatch so I can get at the equipment if necessary. Haven't come up with anything clever yet.

I was envious of the wide open field I saw in the picture - so many flying opportunities - then I looked at the temp gauge... then thought hmmm - good time to be building

Looking forward to the wiring layout for the motors and the top sheeting!

The tool in the picture is a 3-1/2" razor blade mounted in a set of pliers - I think originally it was meant to cut radiator and fuel hose but I use it for rough cutting balsa - it's ok at that purpose but tends to crush it a little.

I'll take some closer pictures of it when I go out to the shop today and post them here.

We Carry on!

Gary
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:44 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,222 Posts
Regarding the cutter tool, Midwest Products makes similar tools for the model market: https://www.midwestproducts.com/stor...1/Cutters.aspx

Great job on an elegant flying boat!

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:48 AM
GLM
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffinIN View Post
Regarding the cutter tool, Midwest Products makes similar tools for the model market: https://www.midwestproducts.com/stor...1/Cutters.aspx

Great job on an elegant flying boat!

Geoff
Thanks Geoff,

The middle and most expensive one looks to have a fairly high quality cutting blade.

Cheers!

Gary