HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:47 AM
KK4QIN
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,083 Posts
Help!
what can i use for this?

So, what I'm trying to do is find a program where I can do two things.
1. Have myself, not the program, arrange the parts of an airplane on a sheet of foam virtually so I get the most efficient use of foam, and do this scale of course. Say, on a 24x36" piece of foam.

2. Have that file to be read by a CNC router, since the only plans I will be working with at the moment will be 2d. I realize that it depends on the CNC machine, but what is the most popular file so I can ho that route just in case.

Thanks so much,
-Seth
nightfox7 is offline Find More Posts by nightfox7
Last edited by nightfox7; Nov 09, 2012 at 09:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:25 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,482 Posts
Not sure I fully understand the question. Are you looking for a program to automatically do this for you? If so, and you find one, it sure would be nice
If your looking for a program for you to do this with, I use Sketchup with a plugin from here http://www.phlatforum.com/viewforum.php?f=97.
Works GREAT. As most foamies mostly contain larger pieces it is a rather easy process to maximize the foam sheets.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:05 AM
KK4QIN
Joined Jan 2012
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
Not sure I fully understand the question. Are you looking for a program to automatically do this for you? If so, and you find one, it sure would be nice
If your looking for a program for you to do this with, I use Sketchup with a plugin from here http://www.phlatforum.com/viewforum.php?f=97.
Works GREAT. As most foamies mostly contain larger pieces it is a rather easy process to maximize the foam sheets.
Fixed my question now, i am looking to arrange the pieces myself. So with sketchup you can organize things on a sheet? or is it that plugin that allows you to? Or, does that plugin make the files readable for the Phlatprinters?

Questions questions
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:22 AM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7 View Post
Fixed my question now, i am looking to arrange the pieces myself. So with sketchup you can organize things on a sheet? or is it that plugin that allows you to? Or, does that plugin make the files readable for the Phlatprinters?

Questions questions
I would second Sketchup and the plugin mentioned. Yes, Sketchup will let you draw out parts and move them around The plugin will let you define whether you want an inside or outside cut, offset the tool path for bit diameter and output the Gcode that can be read by almost any CNC program (Like LinuxCNC, Mach3, etc.) to control most any machine.

Mark
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Last edited by Quick61; Nov 09, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:26 AM
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005
865 Posts
devcadcam it will give you G codes for most cnc machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7 View Post
So, what I'm trying to do is find a program where I can do two things.
1. Have myself, not the program, arrange the parts of an airplane on a sheet of foam virtually so I get the most efficient use of foam, and do this scale of course. Say, on a 24x36" piece of foam.

2. Have that file to be read by a CNC router, since the only plans I will be working with at the moment will be 2d. I realize that it depends on the CNC machine, but what is the most popular file so I can ho that route just in case.

Thanks so much,
-Seth
dpot is offline Find More Posts by dpot
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:43 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpot View Post
devcadcam it will give you G codes for most cnc machines
Yep. I also use this, and it works great. It is a cost, where the Sketchup/SketchUcam is free.
On my machine at least I need to be careful where the Z axis 0 is. With DevCAD/CAM it is at the bottom of the piece, and with SKetchUCAM it is at the top. I make sure I comment the Gcode file so I know where to zero when I go to re-cut a piece later.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:27 PM
KK4QIN
Joined Jan 2012
1,083 Posts
did a little. looks right?

Hmm... cant get the file to upload..
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:46 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,124 Posts
To upload a file thats not in the list, you can put it in a compressed folder, .zip
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:19 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,571 Posts
Many programs also will allow you to "nest" parts. This is a process where you set up your material size, draw a part or three, then tell the software how many copies of the part you want and what size tool / spacing you need. The software will rotate and fit the parts to most efficiently use the material.

Even if you only want one of each part, you can still use software nesting to give you the best arrangement to minimize scrap and use smaller material sizes.

Attached is an example I did of control horns. There are 13 each of 2 different horns and 26 of a third horn on this 6x8 sheet.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004