HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:19 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
Well you can certainly have 2 of these for the cost of a naza+gps. Although I have never flown naza, I just got back from the tennis court flying my hex with this APM 2.5 and I am very happy with it considering it has had no tuning so far. Not perfect out of the box, but I see tons of potential.
My buddy let me fly his Naza+GPS, and it was good. I have doubts I will be able get my APM to fly as good, but yeah Naza is expensive and can't do half of what APM can do.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
I got one of the early RCtimer UAV kits with the wires that need to be cut and soldered for the GPS and datalink modem. I'm finishing up soldering on the main board. I haven't even plugged the NEO6 GPS in yet. (it's a v2) I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me: once I get the wires spliced together correctly, can I just plug in the GPS module and go, or do I NEED to change the baud rate of the GPS before it'll work? If I need to change the baud rate of the GPS, how do I physically connect the GPS to my laptop to accomplish that? Can it be done through the USB port on the main board with the GPS connected to the main board, or will I need to buy one of those FTDI adapters? What about the pinout / wiring of the FTDI adapter if it's required? Is the 'ucentre' software the only way to change the GPS's baud rate?

THANK YOU to anyone willing to take the time to help me out with this..
Carpetbombing is offline Find More Posts by Carpetbombing
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:00 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2004
92 Posts
My RC Timer APM2.5 combo (GPS and telemetry) came today, exactly 1 week after ordering with express shipping, and it was delivered on a holiday. It came in a well-taped box inside of a DHL bag and was delivered by what my wife described as "a guy dressed like Ronald McDonald, but not a DHL employee." The corners of the box are a little dented and the boards (in separate antistatic bags) were wrapped in one layer of thin bubble wrap, but they appeared to be fairly well protected by the placement of other items in the box.

The APM2.5 board came with connecting cables with the proper ends for the GPS and telemetry. The GPS and telemetry came with their own cables but the controller end is meant for a standard 0.1" pin layout.

I plugged the board into USB, watched the drivers load (Win7), changed the connection from TCP to COM3, clicked "Connect" and the Flight Data screen came alive! I then connect the GPS using the supplied cables (a very tight fit, so no worries about them becoming disconnected in flight), powered it on and in a couple of minutes I had 5 satellites locked in and the map placed me in the dining room of my house!

So far it's plug-and-play. Next step is the radio telemetry, but I'll save that for another night.

Specs for my project:

HK F550 clone
NTM 2826 1000kv motors
Multistar 30A ESCs
9x4.7 or 10x4.5 props (I might try 8" props)
RCTimer APM2.5
u-blox NEO-6M GPS
RCTimer 3DR-clone 915MHz telemetry downlink
RCTimer 2-axis camera gimbal
Futaba 8FG transmitter (I would like to use S.Bus but haven't found any references)

Future components planned:

Landing gear (need suggestions)
Sonar
Optical Flow
Attopilot
FPV
jmkirsch is offline Find More Posts by jmkirsch
Last edited by jmkirsch; Nov 13, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:37 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkirsch View Post
My RC Timer APM2.5 combo (GPS and telemetry) came today, exactly 1 week after ordering with express shipping, and it was delivered on a holiday. It came in a well-taped box inside of a DHL bag and was delivered by what my wife described as "a guy dressed like Ronald McDonald, but not a DHL employee." The corners of the box are a little dented and the boards (in separate antistatic bags) were wrapped in one layer of thin bubble wrap, but they appeared to be fairly well protected by the placement of other items in the box.

The APM2.5 board came with connecting cables with the proper ends for the GPS and telemetry. The GPS and telemetry came with their own cables but the controller end is meant for a standard 0.1" pin layout.

I plugged the board into USB, watched the drivers load (Win7), changed the connection from TCP to COM3, clicked "Connect" and the Flight Data screen came alive! I then connect the GPS using the supplied cables (a very tight fit, so no worries about them becoming disconnected in flight), powered it on and in a couple of minutes I had 5 satellites locked in and the map placed me in the dining room of my house!

So far it's plug-and-play. Next step is the radio telemetry, but I'll save that for another night.

Specs for my project:

HK F550 clone
NTM 2826 1000kv motors
Multistar 30A ESCs
9x4.7 or 10x4.5 props (I might try 8" props)
RCTimer APM2.5
u-blox NEO-6M GPM
RCTimer 3DR-clone 915MHz telemetry downlink
RCTimer 2-axis camera gimbal
Futaba 8FG transmitter (I would like to use S.Bus but haven't found any references)

Future components planned:

Landing gear (need suggestions)
Sonar
Optical Flow
Attopilot
FPV
Attopilot?
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:58 PM
Australia, QLD, Gatton
Joined Jan 2007
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
Attopilot?
Voltage and current sensor add on.
danger_mouse is online now Find More Posts by danger_mouse
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:48 AM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
390 Posts
[QUOTE=Carpetbombing;23253095]I got one of the early RCtimer UAV kits with the wires that need to be cut and soldered for the GPS and datalink modem. I'm finishing up soldering on the main board. I haven't even plugged the NEO6 GPS in yet. (it's a v2) I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me: once I get the wires spliced together correctly, can I just plug in the GPS module and go, or do I NEED to change the baud rate of the GPS before it'll work? If I need to change the baud rate of the GPS, how do I physically connect the GPS to my laptop to accomplish that? Can it be done through the USB port on the main board with the GPS connected to the main board, or will I need to buy one of those FTDI adapters? What about the pinout / wiring of the FTDI adapter if it's required? Is the 'ucentre' software the only way to change the GPS's baud rate?

THANK YOU to anyone willing to take the time to help me out with this..[/QUOTE

The APM 2.5 should interrogate the GPS (UBLOX normally), and configure it accordingly.. if it doesn't then you have two options..

Either change the baud rate of the GPS to 38400, you will need an FTDI adapter
to do this and a copy of ucentre (see previous posts).. this is the easier option and recommend one..

Or change the baud rate of Arducopter, you will need to use Arduino to do this and edit the file APM_config.h
Jumpy07 is offline Find More Posts by Jumpy07
Last edited by Jumpy07; Nov 14, 2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:51 AM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
390 Posts
Quote:
This may be worthy of adding to the list, but I have not tested one yet. I ordered it today, if and when I get it I will report back, but i have read it is nearly identical to the 3dr one except it has a linear reg which on later versions of the 3DR one is replaced with a switching reg.

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/on-screen...and-apm-2.html
Yep, read my warning in the guide re: wirining MinimOSD and supplies.. dont follow the wiki as you will fry the board.. use the recommendation in the guide.. you are right 3DR have / are changing the design.... but the chineese clones use the old design..
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:55 AM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
My buddy let me fly his Naza+GPS, and it was good. I have doubts I will be able get my APM to fly as good, but yeah Naza is expensive and can't do half of what APM can do.

Kev
APM 2.5 can fly as good as NAZA but needs a lot more tweaking and effort to get there.. on the plus side when you have done that... its much more powerful..
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:25 AM
Australia, QLD, Gatton
Joined Jan 2007
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpy07 View Post
Two Options..

Either change the baud rate of the GPS to 38400, you will need an FTDI adapter
to do this and a copy of ucentre (see previous posts).. this is the easier option and recommend one..

Or change the baud rate of Arducopter, you will need to use Arduino to do this and edit the file APM_config.h
Mine was plug and play once I soldered up the wires with default settings. I could probably up the speed, but I want to try to interface the CN-06 v2 with my existing CL-OSD.
danger_mouse is online now Find More Posts by danger_mouse
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:11 AM
Joined Nov 2012
3 Posts
Hi all,

I just ordered, following your useful suggestions, a RCTimer APM2.5 Clone with RCTimer CN06v2 (NEO6).

Now, can you please tell me, connecting the CN06v2 with my PC using a TTL 3.3V serial port, what modifications have I to do to the GPS configuration?

I think that these units come from the factory with 9600bps settings and without NMEA mode enabled.

I found out in Arducopter's Wiki a 3DR configuration here: 3DR-Ublox.txt

Is it ok also for NEO6 or is only valid for LEA6 model?

Another question for you: once configured with this method, can I connect the unit directly to APM2.5 Clone without do anything else? It is supposed to work?

Thank you
mysticpv is offline Find More Posts by mysticpv
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:19 AM
DVE
Russian Federation, Sankt-Petersburg, SPB
Joined Jul 2011
578 Posts
Btw, genuine GPS is not much more expensive.
http://store.diydrones.com/MediaTek_.../mt3329-02.htm
DVE is offline Find More Posts by DVE
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:53 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,706 Posts
Do you guys think that you could use a voltage/current sensor from another osd kit to provide the APM with the data it needs to measure current and voltage from the battery?

I have extra current sensors from a Skylark Tiny OSD and I am trying to be sure there is no danger in trying it out before I connect it. I would imagine that after calibration it should work just fine...
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:20 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2004
92 Posts
We definitely need to get some clarity on the NEO-6M GPS config. It would be nice to get confirmation on the default settings and whether they should be changed. I should have some time in a couple days to look into this unless someone beats me to it... I have the RCTimer FTDI board and the wiring harness that came with the GPS should help me in getting the two devices connected (pins might need to be re-ordered).

Jumpy07 posted the changes to the GPS a few pages back, and I understand the "3DR-Ublox.txt" is only for the LEA GPS.

The NEO GPS will work out of the box connected to the APM2.5 without doing anything. It might not be performing at the optimal settings, but it will acquire signal and functionally work in Mission Planner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpv View Post
Hi all,

I just ordered, following your useful suggestions, a RCTimer APM2.5 Clone with RCTimer CN06v2 (NEO6).

Now, can you please tell me, connecting the CN06v2 with my PC using a TTL 3.3V serial port, what modifications have I to do to the GPS configuration?

I think that these units come from the factory with 9600bps settings and without NMEA mode enabled.

Another question for you: once configured with this method, can I connect the unit directly to APM2.5 Clone without do anything else? It is supposed to work?

Thank you
jmkirsch is offline Find More Posts by jmkirsch
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:24 AM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpv View Post
Hi all,

Thank you

Its a 5v supply for GPS

Neo 6 normally comes configured at 9600 baud, from what others have said I think the APm 2.5 changes the baud rate on boot to 38400, but would recommend changing it in ucentre to 38400 as it should be better..

The 3DR text file as far as I know is only for the LEA 6. some people have tried it on the NEO 6 V2 and have said it works.. but cant confirm

You can tweak the Neo 6 in ucentre.. would recommend config for 6g aero application, as I think as standard its set up for automotive use.. also 3D fix etc..

When I get a min will see if I can create a text file that loads the config..

You can buy a NEO 6 for 19 on ebay.. and a LEA 6 for 40
Last edited by Jumpy07; Nov 14, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:27 AM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
390 Posts
Quote:
Do you guys think that you could use a voltage/current sensor from another osd kit to provide the APM with the data it needs to measure current and voltage from the battery?

I have extra current sensors from a Skylark Tiny OSD and I am trying to be sure there is no danger in trying it out before I connect it. I would imagine that after calibration it should work just fine...
Nothing stopping you.. if you have one make senses..

However MinimOSD and attopilot is a cheap combination.. and integrates with Arducopter.. including the GCS.. so you loose a lot of functionality with a seperate OSD..