HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:18 AM
England
Joined Nov 2005
1,077 Posts
Discussion
JR NES591s at six volts

Hi

I'd like to run my AR8000 at six volts from a pair of paralleled NIMH packs but I've read that these servos may not like that much. Please does anyone have a definitive answer ?

Thanks
netdudeuk is online now Find More Posts by netdudeuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:32 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,476 Posts
Here's a discussion about that on an R/C forum in the UK:

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/...gs.asp?th=8950
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:10 AM
England
Joined Nov 2005
1,077 Posts
Thanks. I spoke with the importer and he said stay with the 4.8 volt packs.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:58 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,476 Posts
Concerning using 6 volts to power NES 591 servos, the impression I get is that the situation is similar to using LiPo cells in a transmitter: People who've tried report that it works, but the manufacturers and vendors prefer to cover their butts by telling you not to do it.

But I just noticed that you're talking about using a pair of paralleled NiMh packs, which will be perfectly okay if they're both 4.8 packs. The output voltage of the paralleled packs will still be a nominal 4.8 volts and won't affect the safe operation of the servos at all. If you're under the impression that hooking a pair of 4.8 volt packs in parallel will give you 6 volts then you have it wrong.

Paralleling two 4.8 volt packs is a good way to help protect a Spektrum receiver from problems that might arise from negative spikes in voltage, if that's what you're worried about. The two packs working together will be more able to hold their voltage against load spikes than a single pack of the same size and type alone. If the extra weight in your model won't be a problem then that's a good way to go.

Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Last edited by Miami Mike; Aug 11, 2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:05 PM
England
Joined Nov 2005
1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike View Post
The impression I get is that the situation is similar to using LiPo cells in a transmitter: People who've tried report that it works, but the manufacturers and vendors prefer to cover their butts by telling you not to do it.
Yes. The guy said that some people do report that they successfully use them on six volts but he also told me that some people send in faulty ones that were used on six faults. I say it's not worth the risk.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:12 PM
England
Joined Nov 2005
1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike View Post
The impression I get is that the situation is similar to using LiPo cells in a transmitter: People who've tried report that it works, but the manufacturers and vendors prefer to cover their butts by telling you not to do it.

By the way, I just noticed that you're talking about using a pair of paralleled NiMh packs, which is perfectly okay if they're both 4.8 packs. The output voltage of the paralleled packs will still be a nominal 4.8 volts and won't affect the operation of the servos at all. I was thinking of the question you posted on the Batteries forum, where you asked about using six volts. That's an entirely different question.
I'd forgot about that thread I'll correct it.

When I first spoke with Overlander, the guy recommended the six volt pack but when I spoke with the servo importer, they said only use a 4.8 volt pack. Hence the difference in the two threads.

Agreed. Two in parallel would give the same voltage and be able to supply twice the current. Hence, a combination of more airtime and better ability to deal with higher current draw. On the other hand, two in series would give twice the voltage but at only the same current rating. Not what I need.

Thanks