HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2011, 08:20 AM
Finland, Kaarina
Joined Jul 2011
49 Posts
Discussion
SKYANGEL 50mm F-8 Crusader

Got it from ready2fly.ch. This is my first EDF and I have never before even seen EPO. It looks great and EPO seems to be a fantastic material.
One of the tail wings is a little bit warped. Can this be straightened out somehow (EPO)?

I haven't received the LiPo yet nor the gyro I ordered for this jet.

What I was thinking about was landing gear. I know these jets are hand launched and belly land but as I have sort of a retractable landing gear fetisch and starts and landings are the most fun part for me I was thinking if it would be possible to add that to this jet. Anyone have done something similar? It would be awesome to have that.
tylev is offline Find More Posts by tylev
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2011, 08:49 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,921 Posts
Congrats on your new jet.

The warping is pretty common...and it can be fixed with hot water or a hair dryer. Basically, if you heat the area, and hold it so you correct the warp until it cools, it will hold the shape you want.

The trick is to not get it too hot...the cells of the foam will blister if you do. The common wisdom is that hot water from a coffee maker is just about the right temp. Boiling water will be too hot.

Retracts on a plane this size will be a real challenge...I think you're looking at the wrong model for that application but it would be impressive if you could pull it off!

As for the gyro- assuming you have some flight experience under your belt, you probably won't need it...and again, with limited space, it might be difficult to find a place to cram it into....nevermind the weight penalty... and yes, on this scale, grams matter.

When you get some flying time under your belt, you can boost the performance pretty easily on these jets...
-add a thrust tube of the proper diameter
-balance the fan
-run a 4s/1000/40c battery
-switch to a 6-blade fan (better)
-switch to a Wemotec fan and a motor from www.donsrc.com (even better)

Good luck!! There is a giant thread running on the 50mm planes... you'll learn a lot there.
MRGTX is online now Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:19 AM
Joined Dec 2009
31 Posts
Lessons learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
Congrats on your new jet.

The warping is pretty common...and it can be fixed with hot water or a hair dryer. Basically, if you heat the area, and hold it so you correct the warp until it cools, it will hold the shape you want.

The trick is to not get it too hot...the cells of the foam will blister if you do. The common wisdom is that hot water from a coffee maker is just about the right temp. Boiling water will be too hot.

Retracts on a plane this size will be a real challenge...I think you're looking at the wrong model for that application but it would be impressive if you could pull it off!

As for the gyro- assuming you have some flight experience under your belt, you probably won't need it...and again, with limited space, it might be difficult to find a place to cram it into....nevermind the weight penalty... and yes, on this scale, grams matter.

When you get some flying time under your belt, you can boost the performance pretty easily on these jets...
-balance the fan

Good luck!! There is a giant thread running on the 50mm planes... you'll learn a lot there.
I know it all now, cause I just read the whole Thread!!!
canopee is offline Find More Posts by canopee
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:26 AM
Joined Dec 2009
31 Posts
at the risk of my nose growing even bigger and all sorts of generic and possibly deserved wisecracks,I must enquire ,if anyone knows any more sources for this A-7 ,That have them in stock and maybe even airframe only?
canopee is offline Find More Posts by canopee
Old Jul 30, 2011, 01:43 PM
Finland, Kaarina
Joined Jul 2011
49 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, that I will try tomorrow! EPO seems like *the* material for RC planes.

Quote:
OK. I will surf around and see what retracts are available. I can't machine any myself so it will have to be ready made. Also the real retracts for F-8 are quite specific so I don't have any illusion of finding anything near those.

Quote:
I read that these are quite difficult to fly so I ordered the gyro too. I have flown quite a lot but not very fast planes. I quess the start is the tricky part when hand launching. Regarding weight, I haven't really any experience of that with a model this small. Maybe I am over my head regarding retracts.

Quote:
-balance the fan

Thanks! Sure fun to modify. Tips like this are gold worth. Dang this plane is nice looking. For 79 it could just as well stay on the bookshelf just like that on a stand.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 04:10 PM
Wave off!!! Wave off!!!
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
Center of Gravity Issues

Does anyone know what the center of gravity is for the Skyangel 50 mm F-8 Crusader? If anyone has any advise on the best setup for this bird (including the CoG) it is very appreciated. Cheers!
zoomzoom7435 is offline Find More Posts by zoomzoom7435
Old Aug 20, 2011, 04:13 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom7435 View Post
Does anyone know what the center of gravity is for the Skyangel 50 mm F-8 Crusader? If anyone has any advise on the best setup for this bird (including the CoG) it is very appreciated. Cheers!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1480110
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Aug 20, 2011, 04:42 PM
Wave off!!! Wave off!!!
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
Thanks for your help and prompt reply. Cheers!
Old Aug 21, 2011, 03:15 AM
Finland, Kaarina
Joined Jul 2011
49 Posts
I haven't flown it yet. I am waiting for the LiPos (still...). Attaching image of F-8 user manual.
As mentioned, 84mm from leading edge of wing.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 08:32 AM
Wave off!!! Wave off!!!
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
Thanks

Thanks. This illustration was omitted from the instruction manual that came with my aircraft. The mini F8 seems like a well put together EDF Jet. I took out the original ESC & EDF unit and replaced it with a 5400kv EDF unit, and 30amp ESC purchased from Don's RC.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:16 AM
Finland, Kaarina
Joined Jul 2011
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom7435 View Post
Thanks. This illustration was omitted from the instruction manual that came with my aircraft. The mini F8 seems like a well put together EDF Jet. I took out the original ESC & EDF unit and replaced it with a 5400kv EDF unit, and 30amp ESC purchased from Don's RC.
Interesting! Be sure to post info on how it flies.

Yes I think it is very nice built. I had a warped tailwing but it got it better with hot water and some massage. I won't change the EDF just yet. Have to see how it flies first.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:55 AM
lud
Making mischief in the air
Berkshire UK
Joined Jan 2008
880 Posts
bump..
any updates or flying observations ?

i cannot get mine to fly n toasted the motor on the maiden.. replacement offerings from HK arnt going well either..
now waiting for a 50mm 8blade AOE flan to reach me and then we'll try again...

Trying to balance mine @ CG (4s/6blade/ nip tuck/ubec) i had to add tail weight
however it was not flyable and went straight to flat spins from launch.
I've since added nose weight and setting flapperons and some set mechanical down flap im hoping will get the thing flying.. (not yet remaided as my fan assy have all been poor)

TBH pretty disapointed with it as my F-86 flies really nicely on 4s with the same mods
lud is offline Find More Posts by lud
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:06 AM
Finland, Kaarina
Joined Jul 2011
49 Posts
I threw mine in the garbage bin. Tried 5 times to get it into the air but smacked it over and over into the ground. It was pretty asymmetrical to start with and the elevator servo would work on and off (took a while until we figured that out). Got a reply from ready2fly.ch that they were not ready to send me replacement servo and with that I decided to strip it of the valuables and get rid of it.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:11 PM
Joined Dec 2010
190 Posts
If you watched the Hobby King video when they released the A-6 and F-8 the A-6 launched first time and flew well. The F-8 kept crashing into the ground on hand launch.
FoamieFlier is offline Find More Posts by FoamieFlier
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:46 AM
Finland, Kaarina
Joined Jul 2011
49 Posts
Nope I didn't... (unfortunately)