HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:32 PM
USA, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Oct 2009
100 Posts
Build Log
ASM C-130 Turned into "Fat Albert"

Hello,

I am beginning my "Assembly" log since it is an ARF kit of a ASM C-130 turned into the Blue Angels "Fat Albert" minus the jato.

My C-130 will be electric using Hacker motors with Castle Creation ESC's and Thunder Power Batteries

My plans call for Air Retracts, Full Nav Lighting including retractable Landing Lights and Taxi Lights, and operating Rear Cargo Door.

Stay tuned for pictures. I am in the process of stripping the Coast Guard markings off and figuring out how to mount the Hacker Motors in the nacelles.

Gary
greeter896 is offline Find More Posts by greeter896
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:42 PM
Balsa and Foam can Coexist
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,768 Posts
Wow this sounds pretty cool! I always like watching that C-130 roar across when I watch the yearly Blue Angles show. Subscribed to this thread
WAGliderGuy is offline Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Old Jun 15, 2010, 06:48 PM
USA, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Oct 2009
100 Posts
ASM C130 "Fat Albert" Progress Report

Hello,

I have the fuselage and one wing half stripped. I am including a picture if the C-130 as it would come out oft the box.

To remove the markings from the fuselage you just peel the vinyl off and remove the glue residue with Laquer Thinner. Same way with the wings unless your also going to remove the covering then you would use a Heat Gun.

BTW, suggestions, info, pictures greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Gary
Last edited by greeter896; Jun 15, 2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:51 AM
USA, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Oct 2009
100 Posts
ASM C-130 "Fat Albert" Update

Hello,

Some additional detail regarding this project;

I will be using four Hacker A30 10xl motors and four Castle Creations Phoenix ICE 100amp ESC's on this project. I understand this is overkill on the ESC's but they weigh the same and are of the same size as the 75amp version and once I retire this plane one way or another the 100amp ESC's will be more versatile for other projects. I would like to use 9x7 four blade props but most likely end up using 10x7 three blade props.

Regards,

Gary
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:05 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,140 Posts
cool project!
I love the blue angels and fat albert is always a fun part of the show

hope it turns out great for you

Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:56 AM
FL
Joined Jul 1999
342 Posts
Suggertion....

You want suggestions.....

Better get that table cleaned off before the wife gets home. LOL
Seeing this reminds me of all the times I worked on the table and always had it cleaned up before the wife got home. Thanks to the cell phone I always knew when she was on her way home. hehehe

OK on a serious note I to am interested in your project build.
I also have the ASM C-130 and she flys really nice.

Also what is the second plane you have on the table?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeter896 View Post
Hello,

I have the fuselage and one wing half stripped. I am including a picture if the C-130 as it would come out oft the box.

To remove the markings from the fuselage you just peel the vinyl off and remove the glue residue with Laquer Thinner. Same way with the wings unless your also going to remove the covering then you would use a Heat Gun.

BTW, suggestions, info, pictures greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Gary
testfly is offline Find More Posts by testfly
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:01 PM
Joined Jun 2009
5 Posts
Looks great

I just picked up a 1/2 built one from a mate who lost interest (including 4 brand new OS32-4/Strokers, & retracts. I got it for a throw away price (less than the cost of 2 engines) and its in pretty good shape for something that has been sitting in the back of a garage for 2 years.

Being Australian, mine will be getting the 90's style 3 colour camo scheme (brighter colours than the US camo scheme- we have less ozone here and the sunshine is brighter). The new Aussie sceheme is the boring grey/greyer scheme, which is no good for RC flying.

Its good to see that the orange stripes come off easily, as it will significantly reduce the time taken for repainting.

Good luck with your C-130, I will be subscribing to this thread to watch your progress.

Cheers

Mindfall
Mindfall is offline Find More Posts by Mindfall
Old Jun 18, 2010, 02:13 AM
USA, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Oct 2009
100 Posts
ASM C-130 "Fat Albert" Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by testfly View Post
You want suggestions.....

Seeing this reminds me of all the times I worked on the table and always had it cleaned up before the wife got home. Thanks to the cell phone I always knew when she was on her way home. hehehe

OK on a serious note I to am interested in your project build.
I also have the ASM C-130 and she flys really nice.

Also what is the second plane you have on the table?
Hello Troy (testfly),

Glad you found my thread! Yes, the wife gets on me about the table but I don't know what the big deal is cuz we always eat in front of the TV

The other plane is a Topflite Cessna 182 arf.

For those of you who own a ASM C-130, Troy makes some of the best mods for this plane! I have purchased every one of them and let me tell you they are first rate!!! You can see a sample here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_51...12/key_/tm.htm

He also makes the coolest Paraplane's and you can check them out here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_51...12/key_/tm.htm

I plan on putting one of these on my X-Mas list.

To those following this thread, welcome! I hope you will enjoy the journey. I received some very good news today, I have been contacted by a party and they have offered their assistance with any information I may need about the "Fat Albert" to sucessfully complete this project.

Here is one of the best pictures I have seen to date of "Fat Albert".

BTW, I am having a hard time finding a way to lower and raise the rear cargo door. I estimate the amount of travel to be approx. 3.5".

Regards,

Gary
Last edited by greeter896; Jun 19, 2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 02:42 AM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,004 Posts
Sail winch
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Jun 18, 2010, 08:22 AM
Morgan City/Patterson, Louisiana, United States
Joined Oct 2004
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeter896 View Post
Hello Troy (testfly),

BTW, I am having a hard time finding a way to lower and raise the rear cargo door. I estimate the amount of travel to be approx. 3.5".
Just set it up as a big gear door and use either two air cylinders or two servos. If you use servos, set them up so that in the up position the linkage goes past center so the servo isn't loaded when the door is up.
rcmigpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcmigpilot
Old Jun 20, 2010, 02:48 PM
FL
Joined Jul 1999
342 Posts
Spektrum offers a 278oz standard size servo (A6030) for about $85.00 that you could add a 3" arm to. I would think 1 one each side would still offer enough power with 3" arms on them. You can get them in reverse direction as well.
I am using them on a retract conversion I have done on a TF 310 project I am almost complete with now. http://www.seabreezeparachutes.com/c-310/view.html
testfly is offline Find More Posts by testfly
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:20 AM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by testfly View Post
Seeing this reminds me of all the times I worked on the table and always had it cleaned up before the wife got home.
lol.... that is so true!!
metalfred is offline Find More Posts by metalfred
Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:38 AM
USA, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Oct 2009
100 Posts
Rear Cargo Door

Hello,

I would like to thank those of you who have suggested ideas on how to move the rear cargo door up and down. After checking into it further the amount of travel should be 5" instead of the 3" previously thought. I have been unable to locate any air cylinders long enough for this amount of travel. The only solution that will come close is the winch servo which was suggested. The winch servo will give me approx. 4.89". These winch servo's weigh 3.8oz each and are the size of a 1/4 scale servo. To do it right I would need two of them. I haven't decided if this extra weight is worth the trouble.

Regards,

Gary
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:08 AM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,004 Posts
Gary, surely if you have the connection from the servo enough to the the door hinge you won't need so much travel? There are plenty of really powerful servos (see typical link below 2.75oz, same size as normal servos) which could be used with longer servo arms. My very rough calculations show that with a 3" long servo arm, and connection on the door 2" from the hinge, the servo would still have about 50 oz/in of torque, which would surely be enough to lift one half of the door about 5 inches.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._.118sec_/_78g
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:47 AM
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Sep 2009
39 Posts
Are you going to hinge the top half of the cargo door to fold into the upper part of the fuse?

Bob
BobRickey is offline Find More Posts by BobRickey