HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:57 AM
United States, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined May 2007
90 Posts
Discussion
Banana Hobby is awful to deal with.

Hello all, I hope that other people have had better luck than me. I pre-ordered a Thrust Vectoring F-16 on 12/17/09. Apparently there was an e-mail that was sent out that they were not going to ship them because of technical difficulties with the airplane which I never received. I have tried for over three weeks to cancel my order with multiple e-mails, hundreds of phone calls and even a pm to Pete himself on here! Finally I talked to someone via the online chat over a week ago to cancel my order which I did and was told I would receive my money within 24-48 hours. Well no money! I honestly do not know if this place is a scam or the customer service is just that bad, it is so frustrating. I will NEVER order anything from Banana Hobby again. I was actually going to because I found a lot of interesting stuff on there. I have a feeling I will never see my money or the plane I bought. Good luck to all and let me know if you have any other ideas.
400xp is offline Find More Posts by 400xp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:18 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,687 Posts
You're not the first!!
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 02:02 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
You got BH'd.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Jan 15, 2010, 03:05 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,016 Posts
Hope you can get it resolved. Just remember they are trying to improve.

There is a Banana Hobby customer Forum here:http://www.rcgroups.com/banana-hobby-560/
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kuczy; Jan 15, 2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:14 PM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
Hey Pete, you're a great guy, and we all cut you some slack for your growing pains but probably getting to close to crunch time for a lot of us ...
kelberts is offline Find More Posts by kelberts
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:57 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
263 Posts
yeah I kept an open mind, but with 3 unanswerd emails 2 chat sessions which took 45 for one, and hour and a half for the other connected to a "steve"...it took 20 minutes for him to even start typing!!!! My other gripe is the shipping prices! How can rc castle charge 36$ for regular airmail and 49$ for speed mail from asia to my home in the U.S., and BH to charge 88$ for just ground mail over 100$ for airmail just to send it up the coast!!!! I cant imagine if I had orderd something and had an issue. I agree Pete is a good guy but I have never had such a hard time trying to give somebody my money. Sorry for rant dudes.
KaptnKurt is offline Find More Posts by KaptnKurt
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:39 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptnKurt View Post
yeah I kept an open mind, but with 3 unanswerd emails 2 chat sessions which took 45 for one, and hour and a half for the other connected to a "steve"...it took 20 minutes for him to even start typing!!!! My other gripe is the shipping prices! How can rc castle charge 36$ for regular airmail and 49$ for speed mail from asia to my home in the U.S., and BH to charge 88$ for just ground mail over 100$ for airmail just to send it up the coast!!!! I cant imagine if I had orderd something and had an issue. I agree Pete is a good guy but I have never had such a hard time trying to give somebody my money. Sorry for rant dudes.
Does this really need to be answered??? Its called really bad business practices. I wouldnt order anything from them if you were paying for it, for me.
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:53 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400xp View Post
Hello all, I hope that other people have had better luck than me. I pre-ordered a Thrust Vectoring F-16 on 12/17/09. Apparently there was an e-mail that was sent out that they were not going to ship them because of technical difficulties with the airplane which I never received. I have tried for over three weeks to cancel my order with multiple e-mails, hundreds of phone calls and even a pm to Pete himself on here! Finally I talked to someone via the online chat over a week ago to cancel my order which I did and was told I would receive my money within 24-48 hours. Well no money! I honestly do not know if this place is a scam or the customer service is just that bad, it is so frustrating. I will NEVER order anything from Banana Hobby again. I was actually going to because I found a lot of interesting stuff on there. I have a feeling I will never see my money or the plane I bought. Good luck to all and let me know if you have any other ideas.
This is the suspicion that folks have come down to, which I have heard before: They want to return your money, but either don't have it at the time, or would like to keep it a little bit longer, to make payroll or whatever. I don't know this for a fact, and don't want to be reported for stating this either, so I will state again that it is a suspicion. It is a legitimate suspicion, when we hear of so many delays in getting credits for unshipped product, and delays in shipping product.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:08 PM
NJ
Joined Nov 2008
175 Posts
I still don't understand how they can take your money on a pre-order when they dont even know when it will be released. I can understand if they were just waiting for the manufacturer, but it seems like they take ur money when the plane is still in R&D. One reason i wont buy from them is the shady ethics behind there "well take your money, and get your plane to you when ever". Imagine if they sold 100 planes and used up the money, and the plane never made it to production. They would probably go under. Also, like most places that take pre-production orders, you never pay full price, u put a down payment to ensure you get the first off the line, yet i feel if they did that, they would just take as many orders as they can, and not even think about how many planes would actually be ready to ship.
And yes it is a shame since they have a couple really nice planes. Pete seems to be a great guy, brings us flight reports and everything, but at the end of the day its all about how you run your business.
Personally, i avoid a lot of shady businesses, especially places like half.com, where u can sell books and stuff, they hold your money until 2 pre-set dates, middle and end of the month. Basically for the given amount of time it takes for them to get YOUR money to you there earning interest. Pisses me off that not only do i have to pay them a fee to sell, i also have to wait for MY money so they can make even more in interest. Really shaddy.
JackDaWack is offline Find More Posts by JackDaWack
Last edited by JackDaWack; Jan 15, 2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:16 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFLYR View Post
This is the suspicion that folks have come down to, which I have heard before: They want to return your money, but either don't have it at the time, or would like to keep it a little bit longer, to make payroll or whatever. I don't know this for a fact, and don't want to be reported for stating this either, so I will state again that it is a suspicion. It is a legitimate suspicion, when we hear of so many delays in getting credits for unshipped product, and delays in shipping product.
BH difficulties with canceling orders and being slow with crediting customers credit cards for cancelled orders really reads like a business that has a cash flow problem. I seriously doubt they have sufficient cash reserves or a ling of credit to support their business which is in a rapid growth mode. A year and half ago small businesses could even fund growth with low interest credit cards but those days are gone. Banks requires certain covenants be maintained to get a line of credit at a rate that's not as high as a loan shark. Or simply, BH's balance sheet is so bad they cannot get a line a credit. I suspect BH's balance sheet is terrible so BH is using customer prepaid credit card deposits then ordering parts and planes.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:46 PM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,289 Posts
payment for pre-order is the norm, non payment for pre-order is the exception.

everything aside, I'm going to comment on the OP's thread as I'm not a small business owner and I'm not going to comment on line of credit or cash flow. Here goes.

400xp, in this thread (f-16 thread)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post13997754

You commented on the 7th of Jan that you had yet to contact BH and cancel your order, often a common problem with dealing with BH, they are slow.

Here you state that over a week ago you did finally get through and cancel, so indeed the 7th to the 16th is 9 days, which is infact 2 days or 48 hours over 1 week if you cancelled on the 7th. Is it the weekend? So best, or in your case, worst case senario is you are posting this thread pretty much exactly as the clock.... No actually I'm going to leave it up to you gentlemen to work out.

Cheers, I hope you get your refund. Well actually I'm pretty sure you will as other than the delays everyone does seem to get their money back. I also hope you take the time to come state the outcome and close this thread.

Cheers... Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,833 Posts
Here some of you guys need to research your suppliers. I dug up PLENTY on the better business bureau's website. Just look at the number of complaints that were filed against them. 211 is no joke. And that is just the people who actually went through the trouble to report them. No wonder why they are not supported by the bbb. Read in full about your banana hobby site. Maybe this will open ones eyes for the future! Scroll down and enjoy!!
http://www.la.bbb.org/Business-Repor...bby--100075745
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:53 PM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,289 Posts
I see Pete made contact on the 12th in the thread, I guess you had cancelled before then?

Actually I'm going outside for quick coffee and a durry, I'll be back shortly.

lav, the BBB has been discussed to death over in the BH forum, but you are correct, most folks should just research before they committ, then they would have nothing to complain about. Actually complaining is the one thing that will never go away. LOL

Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Last edited by KCV6; Jan 15, 2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:03 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavochkin View Post
Here some of you guys need to research your suppliers. I dug up PLENTY on the better business bureau's website. Just look at the number of complaints that were filed against them. 211 is no joke. And that is just the people who actually went through the trouble to report them. No wonder why they are not supported by the bbb. Read in full about your banana hobby site. Maybe this will open ones eyes for the future! Scroll down and enjoy!!
http://www.la.bbb.org/Business-Repor...bby--100075745

The number of people complaining on the BBB is astonishing when you considering that BH is really a small retailer compared to the major e businesses like Tower. It is one thing to have one complaint per 100,000 orders and another to 200+ for maybe a few thousand orders. In my business i measure defect rates in defects per million parts made. I qualify suppliers for our company and any business with high defect rates or high customer concerns and complaints will not be approved.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:06 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,833 Posts
Exactly!!! So you tell me whats wrong with BH's whole picture? LOL!! I wished people would at least check into things like this first. It would save many a lot of $$$ and heartache.