HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2014, 05:57 AM
Joined Jun 2013
222 Posts
Discussion
DJI Phantom hits building in downtown St Louis

Authorities are on the hunt for the pilot of a DJI Phantom Vision that crashed into a downtown St Louis office building.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...d779c2c81.html

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a flyaway.

FAA is investigating and local news is requesting witnesses to call the crime stoppers hotline.

Not good for the 'hobby'...
Cicada is offline Find More Posts by Cicada
Last edited by Cicada; May 08, 2014 at 06:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2014, 02:02 PM
Multirotors, Planes, LOS, FPV
United States, MO, Moscow Mills
Joined Oct 2013
197 Posts
Wow, this one is too close to home. (less than 2hrs drive away)
I just know now, that when I go to a local park to fly my small FPV quad, the local authorities, (Park Rangers), are going to tell me I can't fly there.
These thing's always seem to have a great ripple effect
MrMikeMartin is online now Find More Posts by MrMikeMartin
Old May 08, 2014, 02:18 PM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,193 Posts
Is it me or anytime you hear flyaway or buildings hit or flying downtown in a big city the word DJI Phatom is involved.
Michael64 is offline Find More Posts by Michael64
Old May 08, 2014, 02:27 PM
United States, MO, St. Louis
Joined Feb 2014
2 Posts
I would be shocked if it was a flyaway as they are increasingly rare. I wouldn't be shocked if this ass-hat was flying FPV relying on the WiFi connection and lost video, instead of a proper FPV solution. The WiFi is fine if you are just flying around line of site, but should not be used around things that could bring the damn feds/FAA down on us.
It's irresponsible idiots like this that are making the case for additional regulation or revocation of "privileges " altogether, which is the feds ultimate goal.
I live in STL and enjoy flying the Arch grounds and Forest Park sites, and after all the media hyperbole this case is getting here these evil "DRONES" are going to get banned everywhere, and not just at Yellowstone.
If it isn't weaponized it is not a drone ... PERIOD! only the government wants to fly weaponized drones over our airspace.
We fly Hobbyist MultiRotors ... not Drones!
You can't even sell or monetize images or video from your flights, without falling in violation of FAA rules.
I know I am preaching to the choir here, as anyone who would take the time to subscribe to this forum are not the same Morons who perpetrate this idiocy ... but I felt the need to vent.
Safe - Responsible - Flying to all of you ... while we still can.
Stryker767 is offline Find More Posts by Stryker767
Last edited by Stryker767; May 09, 2014 at 04:15 AM.
Old May 08, 2014, 03:14 PM
Multirotors, Planes, LOS, FPV
United States, MO, Moscow Mills
Joined Oct 2013
197 Posts
Stryker767

Great to hear there's another FPV'r around.
I haven't ran into much for FPV around here.
Really? you fly at the Arch grounds and Forest Park?
Amazing. I would have thought they booted all the RC craft by now.
MrMikeMartin is online now Find More Posts by MrMikeMartin
Old May 08, 2014, 06:49 PM
Joined Apr 2013
102 Posts
Wow..... a rc helicopter crashed into a building. Been happening for years.
speedin is offline Find More Posts by speedin