SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:10 PM
El Cajon, CA
Joined May 2007
319 Posts
Discussion
32" EPP Planes From Tech One

Have you guys seen these planes from Tech One at NitroPlanes?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/02a-851-su29-800mm-arf.html
http://www.nitroplanes.com/02a-852-s...800mm-arf.html
http://www.nitroplanes.com/02a-mxs-8...d-epp-arf.html
http://www.nitroplanes.com/02a-yak55-arf.html

They look like pretty nice planes. 10mm EPP, and the ARF comes with everything. Class fiber control horns, quick connects, 8g servos, ESC, motor and a prop(s) for $89.95 - $94.95. Looks like a good deal for someone who wants to get into a 3D plane for cheap. Don't know how they fly, but how bad could it be. I just ordered the SU 29. I will snap some pics of the build and some flying vids when I get it. Might be a good alternative to the SkyWing planes, which are perpetually out of stock everywhere.
dynodude is offline Find More Posts by dynodude
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2014, 04:19 PM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
677 Posts
I plan to order the Sbach 342 from the same series. But I like the graphics on the Sukhoi too!

I've been waiting for these to appear on Nitroplanes site for some time. They look pretty good to me!

Don
Digital Don is offline Find More Posts by Digital Don
Last edited by Digital Don; Feb 21, 2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 07:26 PM
El Cajon, CA
Joined May 2007
319 Posts
I thought about the Sbach also, but I already have 3 flavors of those. The SU kinda matches my Mini Crack Yak. They all look like nice planes, though.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 05:31 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,224 Posts
I have the MXS, and it is a really good bird. Assembles very fast, and does not use a bunch of carbon for strength. Nice accessory package as well. As I said, there are very few parts and go together super fast. Compared to the Skywing series, I don't think they are as great a value. Don't get me wrong, they are great fliers, but for $45 for the kit compared to $35 for the Skywing, the Skywing is a better value and a little better quality IMO.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Feb 23, 2014, 08:41 AM
Trees Are Stupid
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2013
3,935 Posts
Just got an HK Tristania...like the Techone Spirit they say. Where do you get replacement props?

HK never has parts...
BeavisUSMC is offline Find More Posts by BeavisUSMC
Old Feb 23, 2014, 09:07 PM
Joined Dec 2006
677 Posts
I just ordered the Sbach for myself and an MXS for a buddy. The models have several nice features, and the 'ARF' versions that include the electronics seem priced right.

I found a video review by Artic RC on YouTube showing all four planes in the series. He also did time-lapse builds/flights for each individual plane. There are also several other videos of the Yak-55 showing some pretty impressive flying.

Can't wait to get mine!

Don
Last edited by Digital Don; Feb 23, 2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 05:51 PM
Joined Dec 2006
677 Posts
Got a package from California today! Things look pretty impressive right out of the box. Very well packed too - triple boxed in fact!

Here's a sneak preview...

Don
Old Mar 01, 2014, 01:36 AM
El Cajon, CA
Joined May 2007
319 Posts
Mine showed up today also. As you said, very well packed and everything secured inside the box. There were a few things I noticed on this kit. One, they have cut down on the hinge material. If you look on all the hinge lines they removed a lot of EPP and left strips for hinges. Should make them pretty flexible and help eliminate warping but I'm not sure about the durability. Think I'll reinforce the outside hinges when I build.
Those control links look pretty clever. I like the way they have them secured with the bands, and the fact that you can adjust them easily after they are assembled.
Nice hardware package too. All of the horns and motor mount are grp. They also include an arm for the aileron servo.
The motor, esc and servos that come with the ARF all look to be good quality. The only other ARF I have from these guys is a Mini PopWing, and the gear in that has held up for over a year. Guess I'll just have to fly it and see. I plan on running mine on 3's. I have to get some connectors for the esc to motor since it didn't come with any. It would have been nice if they would have mentioned that. I could just solder them direct.
It feels like a very solid kit and compares well to other similar kits from different vendors I have built. Of course, it's not hard to spot the pedigree of this model, if you are looking to compare. But there are also enough differences to make this it's own plane. The EPP is thick and stiff on this so it should be pretty durable for outdoor flying. I won't be putting any landing gear on this which is ok since the gear they provide wouldn't survive long outdoors anyway.
I'm going to try to start on this this weekend, since it's raining anyway. I will try and snap some pics during the build. BTW, my glue of choice for EPP is Amazing Goop. Dries clear and stays flexible. Doesn't yellow and get brittle. It's a little trickier to work with but I think it is the best on EPP.
Old Mar 03, 2014, 11:53 PM
Joined Dec 2006
677 Posts
Finished my Sbach over the weekend and had the maiden flight today. A success!

I just posted a Mini Review.

Looking forward to seeing yours when it's completed!

Don
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:24 PM
Joined Dec 2006
677 Posts
Any progress on your Su-29 build? I'll probably order one of them too...

Don
Old Mar 13, 2014, 02:00 AM
El Cajon, CA
Joined May 2007
319 Posts
Finally cleared up a few projects and was able to start on this. Not much so far. Just the prelim stuff. Gotta work on the electronics next; bind RX, assign and test servos, etc. So far so good on the build, but you really have to watch the alignment on these T1 planes. That for me is where the difference really shines on a TH plane. The fit on those is very precise. On the T1, not so much. Better check it, test fit it, and check it again. It doesn't mean they can't be built square, you just have to be more careful.
Also, like your plane, mine looked like it was slid on the floor before they bagged and boxed it. And the graphics are a little "off". Other than that though, I think I will really like this plane. Gonna keep plugging along on it and shoot for a weekend maiden.
Well, back to building.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:17 PM
Joined Dec 2006
677 Posts
Looks good so far!

I didn't have any problem keeping things square because I used the 'welding magnets' shown in my review. But you're right, the fit on my Laser seemed somewhat more 'precise'.

On the other hand, the TechOne Sbach with electronics was only ten bucks more than the Laser airframe only. I can definitely live with that!

Hope the maiden goes well!

Don
Last edited by Digital Don; Mar 13, 2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 07:29 PM
El Cajon, CA
Joined May 2007
319 Posts
For sure, you can't beat the value of one of these. And, there is a lot more to like about them than there isn't. I'm pretty much liking those nifty little control rod ends they have. I hope those can be separately purchased. Big plus for the GRP horns and motor mount. Another nice touch is the servo layout. Looks to be very easy to change one out if necessary. Also, I like the holes that are pre-cut for wire routing. Makes for a clean install.
So, all in all, I like this plane. Last thing left to do is fly it, and I'm gonna do that tomorrow.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:24 AM
Joined Dec 2006
677 Posts
Good luck with the maiden!

The links do make assembly and adjustment much easier. At first, I was concerned that they might slip, but that hasn't happened at all.

I flew mine tonight at a place where the guys hadn't seen it yet. They couldn't believe it only cost ninety bucks!

Overall, I'd have to say that a lot of thought went into the design of these planes.

Don
Last edited by Digital Don; Mar 15, 2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 01:36 AM
El Cajon, CA
Joined May 2007
319 Posts
Got to finish this up finally. Over all, the build on this went well. One issue, as noted earlier, is making sure everything is square. Unlike some of the more expensive kits where everything fits nice and tight, this is a little less accurate. Not real bad, just something to watch during assembly. Mine came out very straight.

I really like the hardware in this kit. The control rod ends are a breeze to assemble and adjust, and are very well secured. The rods come pre-cut for all the controls so it really doesn't get much easier. If the control ends become available through NP, I will definitely pick some up for my other planes. The motor mount and control horns and guides are made of GRP and are very sturdy. Just rough them up some before you glue them.

The foam on this model is thick and stiff. When it is assembled the airframe is rigid and solid. The servo cutouts are nicely laid out and will make replacement a non surgical event. There are even some nice pre-cut holes for routing your wires through. I was able to make a little cut, and stash all of the excess inside the torsional stiffeners underneath. Very clean. While the foam is dense and seems very durable, the other issue to be aware of is the hinges. As anyone who has built EPP planes knows, one of the first things to do when you unbox a kit is to fold and weight the controls to loosen the hinges. Tech One has put cutouts along the length of all the hinges, I assume to pre-loosen them. Good idea except that they need to turn the heat down on whatever cuts the hinges and cutouts. The hinge foam is very brittle and mine actually cracked when I folded my hinges back. I should have known then to reinforce them, but didn't. This resulted in the rudder tearing off at the hinge on the second flight. Since then I have gone back and reinforced all of the hinges. I use a thin layer of Goop, then add a piece of Blenderm after it sets. Bulletproof now. Will do this during the build the next time.

The stock power combo works well. The servos center good and work smoothly. With the provided arms there is more than enough travel on all of the controls. The only thing you will need to buy extra for this kit are some connectors for the motor/esc. The esc comes with program instructions but I plugged mine in out of the package and it worked fine. The motor and prop combo work good together and provide plenty of power for 3D if it is calm out. I flew mine with some 850 2s Hyperions and had plenty of power to hover just above half stick. As good as it works though, I wish Tech One would offer these planes with the 2206 motor and a 12 amp esc so it would run on 3s. I put a 3s set-up on mine and it really wakes this plane up. Much better for outdoors in light wind.

As far a flying goes, I can't really give an assessment of "hardcore 3D". It is, however, a very capable plane that flies all of my tricks and looks good doing it. I"m quite sure a more capable pilot could do every trick in the book with this plane. I was able to knife edge and hover quite easily. For being rather heavy (my AU on 3s is 240 grams) it is a very floaty plane. It will handle about 3-5 mph of wind.

All in all, I am very pleased with this plane. I think it would be a great model for someone just starting as well as more advanced pilots. I personally plan on using and abusing this plane as a learning tool as I fearlessly pound its EPP hide into the ground while attempting to advance my 3D flying skills. Well worth the $89.00 to do that.

SU 29 1 (4 min 50 sec)

SU 29 2 (4 min 17 sec)