SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:05 AM
I need more SWAG!
RC30Flyer's Avatar
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2012
178 Posts
Question
Thinking of trying scale fuselages "AGAIN"

Hello fellow flyers! I am thinking of going to a scale fuselage on my Trex 500 ESP. However I have some reservations from a past experience. I tried doing a MD 500E with my Trex 450 V2 with disastrous results. Pod and boom setup flew smooth as silk as far as I could see, no vertical vibes, nor skid vibes. But once installed into fuselage at about a 4 foot hover it vibrated so bad that the front of the fuselage flew off, bent the mainshaft in flight without a blade strike, and the wood mounts for the mechanics were destroyed. Not to mention the whole fuselage was a total loss. I am worried that if I go to scale again, I will be disappointed with bad results. Can anyone recommend a fuselage, build pointers, headspeed I should run(was told by many that the 500 loves high headspeed) but scale flying should be reduced correct? My 500 flys excellent right now as a pod and boom. Only a slight wobble on spool up and spool down. (Was also told by many that this is normal also for the 500). Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. I am considering either the AH-1 Cobra or the UH-1 Huey from heliartist. Is there a better quality fuselage? Thank you!
RC30Flyer is offline Find More Posts by RC30Flyer
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2013, 02:48 AM
Registered User
Horseman's Avatar
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC30Flyer View Post
Hello fellow flyers! I am thinking of going to a scale fuselage on my Trex 500 ESP. However I have some reservations from a past experience. I tried doing a MD 500E with my Trex 450 V2 with disastrous results. Pod and boom setup flew smooth as silk as far as I could see, no vertical vibes, nor skid vibes. But once installed into fuselage at about a 4 foot hover it vibrated so bad that the front of the fuselage flew off, bent the mainshaft in flight without a blade strike, and the wood mounts for the mechanics were destroyed. Not to mention the whole fuselage was a total loss. I am worried that if I go to scale again, I will be disappointed with bad results. Can anyone recommend a fuselage, build pointers, headspeed I should run(was told by many that the 500 loves high headspeed) but scale flying should be reduced correct? My 500 flys excellent right now as a pod and boom. Only a slight wobble on spool up and spool down. (Was also told by many that this is normal also for the 500). Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. I am considering either the AH-1 Cobra or the UH-1 Huey from heliartist. Is there a better quality fuselage? Thank you!
Hi,

If I may recommend a "Scale" fuselage what is easy to begin with and flies nice also, is the Hughes 500 Tow defender from Heliartists

I have that same fuse and I love it.



Hughes 500 MD Tow-Defender 500 size align mechanics esp (7 min 22 sec)


It has also no raised tail what is always a tricky point of interest because your rudder linkage are longer and more complicated to set up nicely.
And the drive train will need your fully attention.

So to begin with I can only tell keep it as simple as possible.
And when you get used to it, go further

The Hughes are straightforward and not complicated and looks nice out of the box and if you want to also a good base to make it real museum quality.

By example, Keyrigger is doing that with his awesome Hughes.

Hoping this will help you further.

Kind regards,

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:24 AM
I need more SWAG!
RC30Flyer's Avatar
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2012
178 Posts
Jan, that is the exact fuselage that exploded on me with my 450 size. Is there anything you did different as far as mounting the mechanics? Attach points other than the 4 screws to the base?
RC30Flyer is offline Find More Posts by RC30Flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:48 AM
Registered User
Horseman's Avatar
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC30Flyer View Post
Jan, that is the exact fuselage that exploded on me with my 450 size. Is there anything you did different as far as mounting the mechanics? Attach points other than the 4 screws to the base?
I used m3 bolts and blind nuts instead of the screws provided with the body but on the same spots.

And reinforced the landing skid legs at the base plate and bottom body.

But your 500 size body will be better than the 450 size body's I have seen.

And my bird shakes also a bit while spooling up.

After that its just fine.

Note, there always a possibility that something go's wrong there is no warranty it will not happen sooner or later...I been there I know as you do with your 450 size...

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Last edited by Horseman; Sep 11, 2013 at 08:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:51 AM
I need more SWAG!
RC30Flyer's Avatar
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2012
178 Posts
What sort of headspeed are you running with that fuselage? Right now I am running about 2700-3000. Is there a foam ring for the boom included with the kit? Did you Mount the top of the fuse anywhere to the heli mechanics?
RC30Flyer is offline Find More Posts by RC30Flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:12 AM
Registered User
Horseman's Avatar
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC30Flyer View Post
What sort of headspeed are you running with that fuselage? Right now I am running about 2700-3000. Is there a foam ring for the boom included with the kit? Did you Mount the top of the fuse anywhere to the heli mechanics?
There is a foam ring at the end of the boom.
The top is not connected to the mechanics.
Head speed I assume about 2200 rpm.

Regards,

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 05:11 PM
I need more SWAG!
RC30Flyer's Avatar
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2012
178 Posts
I'm still very apprehensive... Also I'm not too big of a fan of the MD 500 anymore. Everything else I look at is crazy expensive. I dunno what to do
RC30Flyer is offline Find More Posts by RC30Flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 08:56 PM
AMA#313760
JLogan's Avatar
United States, MI, Taylor
Joined May 2009
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC30Flyer View Post
I'm still very apprehensive... Also I'm not too big of a fan of the MD 500 anymore. Everything else I look at is crazy expensive. I dunno what to do
If you want to try scale your 1st build and scale helicopter should be a easy to build and fly and not a lot of money to get into the air. (KISS). the MD's are real nice flyers. I have a MD530 450 size and I also did a upgrade to the mount bolts along with a few straps to make sure nothing let go in flight. the wood mounts in most 450 kits is not the best and they may have come apart while you were in the hover.

John
JLogan is offline Find More Posts by JLogan
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:05 PM
I need more SWAG!
RC30Flyer's Avatar
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2012
178 Posts
Maybe ill sell her... She is a beaut as pod and boom
RC30Flyer is offline Find More Posts by RC30Flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:17 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2008
1,663 Posts
A good and easy entry into scale flying is with some of the 550 sized scale helis (fuselages with mechanics) offered by Century.

http://www.heli-world.com/detail.aspx?ID=10766

http://www.heli-world.com/detail.aspx?ID=10765

I have built a number of scale kits from them over the years and found them easy to build with top quality fiberglass and all flew very well.

Here is a video of the 550 sized nitro kit they had out a number of years ago. I loved it and finally sold it when offered a irresistible price for it at a heli event a few years ago.

Long Ranger in 2007 (5 min 21 sec)


I sure wish I had kept it as now they have an electric conversion for those mechanics and it would then fly as well without all that smoke!,,,,,and sound more like a turbine.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 06:46 PM
Registered User
USA, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Dec 2007
952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC30Flyer View Post
Jan, that is the exact fuselage that exploded on me with my 450 size. Is there anything you did different as far as mounting the mechanics? Attach points other than the 4 screws to the base?

I had the same thing happen to me when I first tried to fly my 450 500. So what I did was install some foam on the inside of the fuselage. Be carefull to leave enough room for the mechanics. The foam dampens the vibration. It don't hurt to add a couple extra magnets to help hold the nose piece on also. That fuse fly's really well after you get the vibes sorted out. Good luck. Ed
prop bender is offline Find More Posts by prop bender
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 06:40 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2011
12 Posts
canopy explosions

Having the front of the canopy fly into the main rotor seems to be a common mode of failure on 450 size scale fuselages.

This is the impression I get from reading forum posts on the subject for three years now. I'm going to fix the front of the canopy with something like RC car body posts and clips or maybe epoxied bolts and removable wingnuts.

Something will have to be added to the magnets before I try to fly one of these. I'm also thinking of mounting the battery to the (now solidly fixed) canopy front to get the CG where I want it. Lots of foam also.

The best build log on a 450 size scale fuse was on a website that no longer exists: bigfilsing.something. I think the fuse was the blue and yellow Breitling one but the real value was the detailed photos and text.

I didn't know the 500 sized fuselages used only magnets to fix the canopy. That seems totally inadequate.
FrY10cK is offline Find More Posts by FrY10cK
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:48 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2013
10 Posts
keep the blade holder bolts tight enough so if you hold your heli sideways and give it a downward shake the main blades should only move about 30 degrees. too loose or even too tight can cause vibration. also in a fuselage i secured the top of the mechanics to the top of the fuselage because it did generate vibration. pack some foam around the boom at the tail case to secure that too. i run a head speeds from 1300 to 1800 on a 600 size kds. good luck with your build
krc59diesel is offline Find More Posts by krc59diesel
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion I'm thinking of trying roll/tilt stabilized FPV on my quad, am I nuts? Titus Gordon FPV Talk 7 Jul 02, 2013 11:38 AM
Discussion Republicans trying to defund ACORN....AGAIN!! erh7771 Life, The Universe, and Politics 78 Mar 05, 2013 11:19 PM
Discussion thinking of making a new scale 450 size fuselage darthdrk Scale Helicopters 173 Jul 23, 2011 03:34 PM
Build Log first scale fuselage what do you think mark groves Mini Helis 6 May 30, 2008 04:58 PM