SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:16 AM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,715 Posts
I probably won't upgrade my EVSE, but I may end up buying a new 220 v (level 2) system so I can charge fast if needed, and have a backup for the 110v EVSE, and be able to charge at both ends (home and work) without having to pack up the ESVE every day.

The leaf should work well for my driving situation.

Dan
Dan Baldwin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:48 AM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Until there's a decent break through in battery technology (or Mr. Fusion is invented) money spent on hybrids and EVs would be much better spent on clean diesel. Speaking of which why can't I get a diesel engine for my airplane?
In a word .. Viscosity. The Hindenburg was diesel powered, but it never climbed to freezing altitudes, or flew in sub-zero environments. Some years back, a lady scientist needed to be rescued from Antartica in the middle of their winter, or would face death down there in the frozen darkness.

We (USA) took a C-130 and modified fuel .. heated fuel lines and systems .. lots of brave heroic stuff .. to fly and land and take off in the middle of winter. I doubt that any other aircraft could even be considered for such a feat .. comparable to landing a helicopter on Everest.

If your fuel won't flow, you will have an early landing experience . If you take off at 40*F ambient and climb to even 10,000 feet .. you've lost 30*F already .. notwithstanding any other factors like wind chill .. moving a big chunk of metal through the frozen atmosphere at flying speed. Even guys on four wheels using bio-diesel have problems with fuel flow with freezing temperatures.

But for a Tropical aircraft, that little 1.3L Opel with the two stage Borg Warner turbo (LP HP tandem) would be a fun build. Fly it freezing .. all warranties are void

Opel Eco-Speedster (1 min 24 sec)

So as to GM, they are still screwin' the pooch .. they had this 113 mpg technology over 9 years ago. They literally crushed 99.9% of the EV-1's they built, and are now doing a matress dance with A-123. Geese Louise .. Pani's 3rd generation 46 gram 4,000 mAh 16850 comes out next April (the 3,400 mAh's successor) and can do 2C continuous. And btw ..Tesla .. Zero fires.
TayNinh68 is offline Find More Posts by TayNinh68
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:22 PM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Or the US Post Office LOL!

Here Here .. where I live, there Is NO USPS mail delivery service .. period. I have to pay $100 a year for a PO Box, and go into town for my mail, like a hundred years ago. If 130 million other households had to pay a hundred bucks a year, the USPS would be a Profit Center .. and wouldn't have to depend on all the crap discounted bulk mail, that surely you all await, like a piranha behind your mail slot six days a week Right?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:50 PM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic View Post
Those well-heeled individuals are making the technology possible which will eventually make it available to the not so well-heeled individuals. It's simply how major technology changes happen. Do you remember when the first 42" plasma TV's were $15? Look at where the 42" plasma and LED/LCD prices are now.

The lesson here - educate yourself before accusing others of drinking the Kool-Aid. Then thank them for paying the penalty for being an early adopter so the rest of us can purchase the technology for less $$$ in the future.
+10 .. exactly, and I remember that plasma pricing too. More recently, a 256G SSD cost $399 a year ago .. on sale for $149 recently. Yes, us early adopters pay the freight so the price comes down for the masses later on. I remember paying $3.50 for a single CK722 transistor .. now you get millions on a single little chip for a few dollars. I'll admit to making a few purchasing decisions with Jack, but never with Kool-Aid
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:54 PM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
In what country was that?
He forgot the K .. 15 grand .. on evibay.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:38 PM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Who Whuddah Thought ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic View Post
CNG is my first choice. I looked at the Honda Accord which is/was the only available CNG vehicle to consumers a few years back. Then it was only sold in three states and there were no consumer filling stations near me. I believe it's available in more states now and I hear more CNG vehicles are on their way. Phill is available is available for filling at home, but installation cost is quite expensive.
Since this thread has migrated from the GM/A-123 debacle somewhat to include alternate fuels including CNG .. here's a brief little diversion .. a CNG locomotive (the second engine) hauling Coal. That's fracking incredible ehh

**RARE ex-Natural Gas Locomotive!!!**RailFanning-Ex-BN SD40-2 #7149 Natural Gas Locomotive (2 min 34 sec)

I'll get back On Topic .. Trust Me .. That was chicken feathers storing Hydrogen .. Right?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:15 PM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler View Post
EV makers as I understand, are limiting quite severely that depth specifically to ensure long life.
I recall reading somewhere, that one of the reasons for the Volt's abysmal range performance is at least in part due to GM's decision to limit battery usage and charging to within the 25% to 85% range, resulting in only using 60% of cell capacity. With such a conservative usage profile, the batteries should provide more cycles of usable lifetime, can be re-charged more quickly, and address "bricking" and combustion concerns by using LiFeP04 battery chemistry.

Looking at miles of a range versus cost .. that makes the Volt more expensive than the Tesla "S". Certainly I want all the commercial production EV's to be successful in the marketplace, but even first adopters are gonna look at price/performance when making the jump to an EV. Telsa, Nissan, and GM are all using different battery chemistrys' .. Let the Games Begin
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:07 PM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Got Chicken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Make an electric car with a 'fuel tank' that can be refilled in 5 minutes and has 400 miles of range and doesn't need to be replaced in 80-100K miles to the tune of $50-75K and I will be the first in line to buy it. If this technology is 'only a short time away' I haven't seen it, despite researching fervently and a strong desire to own an electric car. Mark
Hey .. lets not forget about fuel cells guys .. not made by A-123, but they Are Electric. Arguably, the supply infrastructure is the same clusterflock as CNG except for one glaring difference .. Hydrogen can be made On Site in the remotest of locations by simple electrolysis using solar or geothermal power.

Got Chicken? Well, not the 400 miles range you are requesting, but multiples of the current GM Volt or Nissan Leaf mileage range.

Carbon Chicken Feather Hydrogen Storage Without Pressure (0 min 46 sec)
a short clip

From the PBS Nova Making Stuff Cleaner mini- series. The whole episode is online .. about 53 minutes. And guys, long before nano-anything, National American University of St. Louis, brought a functional hydrogen fuel cell car to the SEER '91 in Willits, California .. that's August 1991. Yep, I was there .. if there's any interest, I'll try to dig up some pics. This EV stuff isn't rocket science amigos .. it's just where you expend your development resources. The political mattress dance .. situation normal

Disclaimer: No recycled electrons were were lost or damaged making this post courtesy of a 3kw Sanyo pv array
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:26 PM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
They should invent a coal-burning automobile and eliminate the middleman. That could possibly be the cheapest of all LOL.

Coal takes waaay too long to make. Just use the wood charcoal burners like they use in the NPRK .. visa-vis Mad Max or Planet of the Apes
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:38 PM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
Well, even if they create the same amount of C02, I would like the exhaust fumes much more to be produced out of town and properly filtered, than being blown right into my face from the car before me.
Imagine a city without air pollution by cars - what a wonderful thought.

How much would you like your computer if it was powered by a little chainsaw engine inside?

Seen this commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn__9hLJKAk
Thanks for that .. should Absolutely be nominated for the CLIO Awards An Outstanding commercial. rcgroups .. like a box of chocolates .. that was a sweet one
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:33 PM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
I would really like to see these quick swap batteries. Do you have a link? Gas prices just went up again today. $5.35 for regular down the street. I might just start using some of my lipos and rig something up.

Harry
Ed Begley Jr. is down your way Harry .. holding back his grin I'm sure. He's been charging up an EV for many years .. from his roof

MNN Network Video: Ed Begley, Jr. in the Garage (3 min 36 sec)

I think Ford made a good choice in choosing him as a spokesman .. cause He's Been There, Done That .. and still is

Ford Electric Vehicles with Ed Begley, Jr (3 min 21 sec)

$5.35 .. NorCal the same .. blaming the Cheveron refinery fire. Down your way, you are only couple hours from the largest private property owner in Cali .. Occidental Petroleum. About those Lipos .. keep us posted
Last edited by TayNinh68; Oct 08, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:41 PM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
Ohmic,

So you don't remember and can't find, people in this thread that said that electric cars are a ready and viable alternative to IC cars?

Wow.
Step away from the bong. Things will start to come back.
Another jewell .. lmao .. tanks
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:13 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayNinh68 View Post
Hey .. lets not forget about fuel cells guys .. not made by A-123, but they Are Electric. Arguably, the supply infrastructure is the same clusterflock as CNG except for one glaring difference .. Hydrogen can be made On Site in the remotest of locations by simple electrolysis using solar or geothermal power.
Sort of electric, there is still a combustion reaction going on.

I dont see hydrogen being viable any time soon, storage is a real pain, you cant liquefy it without cryogenic equipment so you dont get much volume in your tank. The tanks are expensive high pressure devices (made more so by the need to survive a crash without exploding).

Hydrogen manufacture by electrolysis is extremely inefficient, couple that to a fuel cell vehicle and you end up at ~20% efficiency, not helpful unless we can get fusion power working (and cheap).

Methanol/ethanol in a fuel cell is promising, some CO2 production, but a lot less and since you make it from plants the carbon is re-absorbed. Its a liquid fuel so storage and filling are easy and is safe (compared to H2 at several hundred atmospheres of pressure). The problem currently is that fuel cells are too expensive to make and dont last very long, they are also really heavy.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:37 PM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
anytime the government has to help pay for something its due to it being a bad idea.
Yeah, all FDR's New Deal stuff really sucked huh .. paying all those guys 30 bucks a month .. $25 went home .. and all that stuff they built .. who needed it ehh?

Building Solyndra in the one of the very most expensive real estate and labor markets in the whole country has gotta be one of the most asinine uses of public funds, irrespective of nurturing green technology. Page Mill Road was part of my bailey-wick 30 years ago, and it wasn't cheap back then. So goes the grants and loan guarantees to A-123 it seems.

So I respectfully disagree .. there is a place for government assistance, if projects are properly vetted. Obviously, neither Solyndra or A-123 were, and not only pissed away millions we can ill afford, but also tainted an industry that is struggling here in the US, while other countries are jumping in with both feet, but not while doing a mattress dance in D.C., "K" street included.

These things Can be done Right .. just takes political will. Hoover Damn was built ahead of schedule and under budget in one of the harshest environments in the US. HJK then went on to hire thousands again .. building shipyards and thousands of ships during the War .. I was born in one of his hospitals.

Worth repeating .. These Things Can Be Done Right .. get people who know what the hell they are doing, and hold their feet to the fire. We ain't done yet, America

OK .. I''m Done .. please carry on
Last edited by TayNinh68; Oct 08, 2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Jun 2010
288 Posts
Removed
Aaron 1 is offline Find More Posts by Aaron 1
Last edited by Aaron 1; Oct 08, 2012 at 07:49 PM.