HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:13 AM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Kevin: From what vendor are you sourcing these Nano Tech 300mah 35C lipos?

Tnx

RD
Over here for about $6

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28444
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:55 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Maiden successful. I got two flights in with no issues so far. Had 3 more packs, but the Sun was setting fast and I didnt want to risk loosing orientation.

Landed 3 times and bounced it each time. Is it best to land with power? Overall, smooth as silk, and pretty to look at during those flybys.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Dec 05, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:13 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Maiden successful. I got two flights in with no issues so far. Had 3 more packs, but the Sun was setting fast and I didnt want to tisk loosing orientation.

Landed 3 times and bounced it each time. Is it best to land with power? Overall, smooth as silk, and pretty to look at during those flybys.
Yup, the best way to make the Mig look good landing is to get that nose up a bit on approach, leave a bit of power on, and just grease her in on a glide slope. After a few tries, it gets very easy!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:40 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,751 Posts
Quote:
Maiden successful. I got two flights in with no issues so far. Had 3 more packs, but the Sun was setting fast and I didnt want to tisk loosing orientation.

Congrats on the maiden! Yeah, it's best to land with power. If she's bouncing after touchdown, you're mostly likely landing too hot. To bring her in slower, you need to bring the nose up & carry some power all the way down. About halfway through the downwind leg, reduce throttle to about 50%. Ease the stick back & bring the nose up to slow her down. Reduce power a bit more as you turn to base. Keep the nose up to manage your speed. Reduce power a bit more as you turn to final. Be sure to hold the nose up during the turn to keep your airspeed in check. On approach, manage decent-rate with throttle & manage airspeed with elevator. You should be descending visibly nose-high at this point, bleeding off airspeed. As she settles into ground-effect, smoothly reduce the throttle & ease the stick back. You want to have the stick nearly all the way back & the throttle closed just as the mains touch. Keep the stick all the way back until after the nosewheel touches down.

To get enough elevator authority for a mains landing, you'll need to move the elevator pushrods in at least to the second from the innermost holes & make sure the plane isn't nose-heavy.

Here's how it should look: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1405

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 05, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:13 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Thanks guys. Looking forward to trying your suggestions out tomorrow. I'll also work on stalls 3 mistakes high so I can better gauge its speed envelope.

Nice flying Turboparker.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Dec 05, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:18 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,053 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys. Looking forward to trying your suggestions out tomorrow. I'll also work on stalls 3 mistakes high so I can better gauge it's speed envelope.
Actually putting it into high alpha way up high, and playing with how slow you can fly it will indeed help you know the 'limits' when you are landing -- once you see how prettily this plane settles in and slows down, you'll get lots of confidence for when you land.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:15 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,669 Posts
Also - if you're bouncing on your landings, there are two potential causes:
1) You are landing too "flat" - that nose gear is very springy. Hit it on initial contact and you can bet you'll be back in the air every time. As Turbo and TN indicated, you'll want to get to a point where you can get your mains to touch down first and keep that nose up as long as possible to bleed off momentum. Just beware, with AS3X, the tip stall comes out of nowhere and suddenly she's cartwheeling. Ask me how I know!

2) you are landing too hot - as Turbo said. Ironically, keeping power on allows you to land slower, because you can adjust your attitude without stalling. If you have the same bad habit I used to, I'd take my thumb off the throttle from time to time when flying. If you do that, you aren't managing your throttle on landings, which means you have ONE shot at getting it perfect. By managing your throttle throughout the landing process, you have multiple attempts (as long as your strip is long enough) to get everything - speed, attitude, altitude - to fall into place.

You are probably a much better pilot than I, but for others who may read this in the future, I'll steal a line out of Turbo's many posts on this that helped me immensely and particularly with the Mig- "manage altitude with throttle, manage attitude with elevator"
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:54 PM
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined May 2002
2,880 Posts
witchwayisup you are correct I`ve been flying ducted fans for many years the way to get the best landing on a jet is to bring in with power that always gets the nice oohs aahs landings , considered this does a real jet glides in ? no unless you have a flame out or the engines suck in a bird , then you have no choice but to glide in , the same applys to a rc jets , to get a nice landing slow the mig down but with power she come in really nice , got aprox 15 flights on my little mig all the landings have been really nice , she is a hoot to fly , really like it .
mavdriver is offline Find More Posts by mavdriver
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:04 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
continuous loops?

in the promo video, the mig clearly does 3 consecutive loops, in what appears to be horizontal flight. I'm curious if everyone's mig has been capable of that out of the box?

I just bought one about a week ago, and so far after about 10 flights I don't see mine being able to do that. it will do one, but even entering at very high speed, it isn't far from falling out at the top. the one caveat is that I've been flying on 40 weather, so maybe the battery isn't reaching full performance (I am keeping the battery inside until the very last moment).

otherwise I'm happy with it and really enjoy flying it, but looking back over the promo video, I wonder if mine is quite up to snuff.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:17 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,740 Posts
I do fairly big consecutive loops with it. This way it doesn't slow down much because of the extra drag with a lot of elevator. Also I back off all the elev going over the top. The nose will drop on its own on the downside and build up it's own speed again. Gradually pull out at the bottom and do it again. What's the word " conservation of energy". This is with a 2 cell 360 Rhino batt.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:54 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
in the promo video, the mig clearly does 3 consecutive loops, in what appears to be horizontal flight. I'm curious if everyone's mig has been capable of that out of the box?

I just bought one about a week ago, and so far after about 10 flights I don't see mine being able to do that. it will do one, but even entering at very high speed, it isn't far from falling out at the top. the one caveat is that I've been flying on 40 weather, so maybe the battery isn't reaching full performance (I am keeping the battery inside until the very last moment).

otherwise I'm happy with it and really enjoy flying it, but looking back over the promo video, I wonder if mine is quite up to snuff.
I can do ENDLESS consecutive loops...But I am using a NanoTech 300mAh battery....

Here is a YouTube video of consecutive loops at the 2:30 mark...

MiG 12 1 12 (5 min 39 sec)

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:19 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I am probably guilty of holding a bit too much elevator. I'll try larger loops next time. Though it doesn't seem like it would go much higher, even in the first loop. Do you start from a steep dive or level flight?

My LHS had no spare batteries available, so I have just the single 200mAh 20C that is included, for now. I aim to get TP's or Turnigy's soon, which I expect will make an improvement.

Can anyone comment on performance with the stock battery?
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:32 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,740 Posts
Great stuff Kevin. I didn't think much of the stock batt. The 360 gives more poop and a much longer run time.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:48 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post

Check the tailpipe for wiring obstructions & be sure to use a top-quality pack. The stock pack sucks.

With the gear on, I can do endless loops with my Hyp 240s, Hyp 320s, and TP 325s. I can even do a rolling climb on the way up with the TP 325s. Without the gear, I can do two full vertical rolls on the way up with the TP 325s & still have enough momentum to get over the top of a loop. With the TP 325s, I can do huge loops & huge Cuban-eights with & without the gear. See below:

Sans gear on a TP 325 65c:

UMX MiG 15 sans gear - performance demo (5 min 18 sec)

With the gear. First pack is a TP 325 65c. Second pack is a Hyp 320 25c. Third pack is a Hyp 240 25c:

UMX MiG flight testing - Thunder Power 325 mAh 65c + Hyperion 320 & 240 mAh 25c packs (15 min 45 sec)

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 08, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:58 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Great stuff Kevin. I didn't think much of the stock batt. The 360 gives more poop and a much longer run time.

Gord.
Thanks!!!...And I think that my airplane chasing dog loves to fly more that I do!!!...He waits on it so that he can "hunt/find it" when I' done flying....Sometimes he places his paw on the wing as to say "Daddy, I stopped it for ya!!!"....I've had to repair a few wings due to this......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene