HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2015, 08:01 PM
United States, FL, Tallahassee
Joined Jun 2014
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr175 View Post
I think the key is to use the same exact switch for every model and like you say get used to it. I would not be a fan for a x receiver on this mainly due to you only need 3 channels for this plane and the xseries is heavier and big. But you want telemetry so you will need it.

Dont need wizards and all that stuff on taranis. Make sure you have done the opentxu and if you ever have a question the taranis thread is extremely friendly place. Heck half the people here will probably have an eepe for you for this plane. For me not much difference between this plane and a wing. Have fun!
Do you know how big exactly? I also ordered a D4R cppm but the X4R is listed as ?x?x.? and I thought "That's exactly how much room I have!!!" Seriously though I just replaced my 2826 motor with a 2892 that is both heavier and has the bulk of its weight in the rear so this will require battery farther forward and or larger and should leave plenty of room in the rear of the cockpit for RX, or I go 5 or 6S and move the rx to the front. Either way, if it will fit in the cockpit and be smaller than an X8 I'll be ok where my new CG is. Of not, it's hoggin' time!
Focusyn is offline Find More Posts by Focusyn
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2015, 08:32 PM
Joined Jun 2014
109 Posts
Actually disregard that. I realized the servo pin layout is a good point of reference because the X, D, and V all have the same over/under pair servo connector layout and the telemetry versions are about half a servo connector wider and longer so should be roughly the size of a standard servo length and width wise, but two more powerful antennae and no reviews about losing planes due to antenna falling off. That was my concern really; the telemetry is a bonus feature, but I'll gladly sacrifice a few mm space for diversity full range antenna setup vs a single park range antenna with lots of reviews about the antenna falling off or breaking, though I will give it to you that we don't know the skill levels involved with those reviews. I mean, one did rate it lower because "it's hard to bind if you don't have experience using jumpers."
Old Mar 02, 2015, 05:25 PM
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Mar 2013
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusyn View Post
Actually disregard that. I realized the servo pin layout is a good point of reference because the X, D, and V all have the same over/under pair servo connector layout and the telemetry versions are about half a servo connector wider and longer so should be roughly the size of a standard servo length and width wise, but two more powerful antennae and no reviews about losing planes due to antenna falling off. That was my concern really; the telemetry is a bonus feature, but I'll gladly sacrifice a few mm space for diversity full range antenna setup vs a single park range antenna with lots of reviews about the antenna falling off or breaking, though I will give it to you that we don't know the skill levels involved with those reviews. I mean, one did rate it lower because "it's hard to bind if you don't have experience using jumpers."
I find a lot of rc reviews pretty bad. I have never had a frsky antenna fall off. They may be referring to those crappy lemon receivers. I had a couple of those and they burned up. The true believers told me to try more to get a better idea. They are called lemon for a reason! Maybe a D4R-II which has telemetry? ABout same size. Havent used it but any of the frsky are twice as good as the other receivers I have used with my dx6i plus the benefit of no brownouts for me.
sr175 is online now Find More Posts by sr175
Old Mar 02, 2015, 07:42 PM
Joined Jun 2014
109 Posts
Quote:
I find a lot of rc reviews pretty bad. I have never had a frsky antenna fall off. They may be referring to those crappy lemon receivers. I had a couple of those and they burned up. The true believers told me to try more to get a better idea. They are called lemon for a reason! Maybe a D4R-II which has telemetry? ABout same size. Havent used it but any of the frsky are twice as good as the other receivers I have used with my dx6i plus the benefit of no brownouts for me.
Yup. The reviews to which I was referring though were on the product page for the V series FrSky 4chan linked at aloft hobbies, and more of the same on the Hobby King product pages, and elsewhere. I had Aloft swap my order for just (2) D4R-II instead of 1 D and 1 X, because the D has the uber cheap voltage sensor and I wasn't planning on using anything unique to the X.

I got in a good dozen or so flights this weekend on the F16 with the new cyclone motor, and it flies more like a brick now, plus not nearly as fast with the 700kv downgrade. I also figured out my original 3000kv motor was not totally ruined, and that the harsh noises and ejected c-clamp and partially ejected bearing were the fault of the fan. There were artifacts from the molding on the surface to which the engine mounts, and I can't prove it but I'm pretty sure they were melting in flight then hardening on between which is why it would be fine one flight then barely move the next. I spent a really long time getting intimate with a little sand paper and no bad tendencies since then but I went ahead and ordered a new fan anyway. For giggles, I popped the bearing and c-ring all the way back in place on the cheap motor and hooked it up in a cheap 64mm fan I had around. It worked perfectly and made no noise.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 07:49 PM
Joined Jun 2014
109 Posts
Oorps didn't mean to hit submit. The new motor running the same fan but a new nano-tech 45C 2200 4S peaked at 97mph on radar with big-time dive-cheating from so high I could barely see it. Without any of that diving nonsense it peaked around 85mph. Due to the added weight and relative position thereof on the new motor, it is no longer possible to balance CG with 3S. For experimentation purposes, I balanced it with a 3S 2200 placed as far forward as the cockpit would still fit on, and it took 4 7g lead weights against the front wall to balance. Not complaining about the motor; it's made for 4-6S so I'm running it at its minimums but the 2826 flew like a dream and went at least 107mph on 3S and this one flies like a brick on 45C 4S and goes about 20mph slower.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 08:09 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusyn View Post
Oorps didn't mean to hit submit. The new motor running the same fan but a new nano-tech 45C 2200 4S peaked at 97mph on radar with big-time dive-cheating from so high I could barely see it. Without any of that diving nonsense it peaked around 85mph. Due to the added weight and relative position thereof on the new motor, it is no longer possible to balance CG with 3S. For experimentation purposes, I balanced it with a 3S 2200 placed as far forward as the cockpit would still fit on, and it took 4 7g lead weights against the front wall to balance. Not complaining about the motor; it's made for 4-6S so I'm running it at its minimums but the 2826 flew like a dream and went at least 107mph on 3S and this one flies like a brick on 45C 4S and goes about 20mph slower.
Run that 2300kv motor on 5s and it will outperform that 3000kv motor. A 4s batt on a 2300kv motor just won't spin it fast enough.

14.8v x 2300kv = 34,040rpm
18.5v x 2300kv = 42,550rpm

Of course these figures are just approximations but you get the idea. Your loosing over 8000rpm's approximately.
dpowellmeii is offline Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
Old Mar 02, 2015, 08:11 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
3,146 Posts
Quote:
Couldn't disagree more about Lemon Receivers. They have been far superior to Orange in my experience. "Lemon" doesn't mean the same thing in the Chinese culture. It's just a fruit to them, like orange is a fruit and color, but also the name of HK receivers. I only trust my own exeriences with products (never "reviews") and after using Lemons where appropriate for several years, I have yet to have a single issue.
Cubcrazy is offline Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Mar 02, 2015, 11:05 PM
Joined Jun 2014
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpowellmeii View Post
Run that 2300kv motor on 5s and it will outperform that 3000kv motor. A 4s batt on a 2300kv motor just won't spin it fast enough.

14.8v x 2300kv = 34,040rpm
18.5v x 2300kv = 42,550rpm

Of course these figures are just approximations but you get the idea. Your loosing over 8000rpm's approximately.
Yep. That was no surprise; the performance difference with the additional weight and weight shift though was more significant than I expected. I almost crashed it twice trying to peak the speed and fly straight enough toward the radar gun for a good reading. It still flies better than other jets I've over-powered though, just night and day difference from when it was lighter. I think it will need glassing and carbon to manage any more weight, so I'll do that with one of the reserve stock and throw as many volts as I can at it. I still believe strongly in the lower your kv, raise your volts, decrease your amps and increase your flight time method. It is, as would be expected, drawing far far fewer amps. I think it was peaking somewhere between 59-65 and is now in the 40-45 range.
Old Mar 03, 2015, 05:38 AM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
Couldn't disagree more about Lemon Receivers. They have been far superior to Orange in my experience. "Lemon" doesn't mean the same thing in the Chinese culture. It's just a fruit to them, like orange is a fruit and color, but also the name of HK receivers. I only trust my own exeriences with products (never "reviews") and after using Lemons where appropriate for several years, I have yet to have a single issue.
I agree on the Lemon brand. Solid receiver that I now use in my jets. I have flown two stabilized receivers and they both have been rock solid.
bps is offline Find More Posts by bps
Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Mar 2013
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
I only trust my own exeriences with products (never "reviews")
Yeh that's what we can only go on! We don't all experience the same thing but all of mine burned up but I am glad you and others have good experience! I got tired of dsm/dsmx products anyway so went frsky and never looked back.
sr175 is online now Find More Posts by sr175
Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,813 Posts
Maybe getting back to the F16 now?

Just had some updated info from Taiwan, I am told the last shipment to HP is being prepared and then that's it, from what my contact knows the factory owner is finishing up completely, no one will be getting the molds as its such an old kit now. I also got quite a bit of info which reinforces my thoughts that HP use the kit as a bit of a loss leader product in the US. Its a pity but thems the breaks! Grab spares while you can, the end of an era is near...
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM
Aaaah...........Napalm!
USA, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Apr 2004
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Maybe getting back to the F16 now?

Just had some updated info from Taiwan, I am told the last shipment to HP is being prepared and then that's it, from what my contact knows the factory owner is finishing up completely, no one will be getting the molds as its such an old kit now. I also got quite a bit of info which reinforces my thoughts that HP use the kit as a bit of a loss leader product in the US. Its a pity but thems the breaks! Grab spares while you can, the end of an era is near...
That's sad. I have a flying model now, and two kits still in the box for spares. They'll be like gold in a year or so....lol
chopperscott is online now Find More Posts by chopperscott
Old Today, 01:03 PM
Joined Jun 2014
109 Posts
I'll probably make one more order before they're all gone. Already have a couple in reserve, but wh not. This is the fastest easiest flying chuck-it-in-the-air-and-have-fun little jet ever. I flew mine a couple flights the other day in calm sunset conditions and opened up the range more. Using the Eagle Tree pitot I got readings of 112 & 121 on two flights, but after the latter it came down with cracks in the forward fuse. Too much weight too far forward I think? Didnt crash it or land hard and both cracks are all the way across like if you grabbed it by the nose and tried to rip it off with downward force. I don't like the weight of this new motor, but that is the fastest mine has gone yet. Just flew it around shallow for a while instead of flying like it's on a half pipe ramp stretching close to twice the distance, and it got quite a bit faster in the longer runs.
Old Today, 02:15 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,626 Posts
Don't worry gentlemen, something new will come along to grab your attention. Just think of how many of you learned finishing methods. Power systems, flying skills,etc. I think this is the best contribution this "kit" has provided. I was heartbroken only once for dis-continued planes. The Midwest Skyhawk.

I wonder what will be next the the free market will bring us?

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin