HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
Discussion
Trying to get off the Ground

Hello All...I got a S107 for Xmas and had such a great time with it, for the New Year, I got a Blade 120 SR. Now I can hardly get off the ground again
I am having one terrible time trying to trim this baby. I give it full aileron to the left and it still drifts right. I center all the trims and no joy. Is there a way to get back to factory settings or something. Any help appreciated.

Thnx
MrKNY is offline Find More Posts by MrKNY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:08 PM
Beginner Pilot
United States, CA, Wheatland
Joined Dec 2011
205 Posts
KNY,

you can click the buttons on the controller and when it gets back to "centered" there will be a long tone. You'll know when you hear it.

Going from coax to the 120 SR isn't as easy as some make it sound, but it is doable. I highly recommend you do Radd's School of Rotary Flight, it made this hobby much more enjoyable with MY 120 SR.

Good luck and have FUN!!!
kenfrisbee is offline Find More Posts by kenfrisbee
Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:35 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
1,829 Posts
Don't over-control it, and make sure you give the gyros time to calibrate. The moment you plug the battery in, set it down on a level surface (Instructions say to do this within 2 seconds) until you hear the servos jitter, signaling everything's ready to go. If the gyros aren't calibrated right, weird things can happen.
Rampage is online now Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Jan 06, 2012, 03:44 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKNY View Post
Hello All...I got a S107 for Xmas and had such a great time with it, for the New Year, I got a Blade 120 SR. Now I can hardly get off the ground again
I am having one terrible time trying to trim this baby. I give it full aileron to the left and it still drifts right. I center all the trims and no joy. Is there a way to get back to factory settings or something. Any help appreciated.

Thnx
Inspect the servo and see if there is any hair or debris caught in it. Unfortunately, that's common with linear servos. Also, clean the metallic strip beside the servo, that's what it uses to tell where it is.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
Thank.....Thanks.....

Still flapping my wings...not off the ground yet...still open to suggestions
Old Jan 06, 2012, 05:37 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,243 Posts
Reset your transmitter to zero trim, then re bind the helicopter and let it sit for about 10 seconds before you try anything.

Easiest way i have taught my mates to fly my 120SR (most of them with no rc experience whatsoever, not even cars) is i hold it in my had and ask them to throttle up till its just about the fly out of my hand then i give it a bit of a push up and they are hovering, how long depends on their co-ordination, but i think this might be a good technique for you to learn how it handles in the air. I found it hard to take off from the ground the first few flights cause it would tilt this way and that due to me spooling it up quite cautiously. Now, i just bang up the throttle to get it up quickly, with a little right aileron and i can do it straight up everytime.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
On the coaxial I was able to trim while in flight. I'm finding this very hard with the 120. Should I land and make trim adjustments, or do it while in flight?
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:56 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,744 Posts
I wouldn't try trimming most of the small helis I have in flight, unless I was outdoors with a lot of room. Forget everything about the S107. It doesn't apply any more.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:10 PM
Almost expert level crasher
Canada, ON, Perth
Joined Apr 2011
170 Posts
If you're trying to trim so that it behaves well on the ground before take off, that won't work. Forget decent ground handling. Get it up in the air about 6 feet and see what needs doing to get a stable hover.
Mikey1 is offline Find More Posts by Mikey1
Old Jan 06, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, MO, St Peters
Joined Apr 2011
412 Posts
If it's drifting to the right, you may simply need to lengthen the pushrod for the aileron. Unscrew the plastic connector to lengthen, or simply pull (bend) the rod apart.

It should be a stable hover when you get it right, and should not drift at all

Did it ever hover? Or did it happen after a crash.
sirs69 is offline Find More Posts by sirs69
Old Jan 06, 2012, 10:59 PM
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
Re-binding (which I thought was not necessary with the stock tx) helps after each new charge. Yet, as soon as I crash (which I am doing a lot of..of course) , I'm back to square one. Guess I'm going to have to get out of the living room. Please tell me that another tx is not going to make any difference.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:26 PM
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
34 Posts
KNY,
a different TX should not make a difference and you should not have to re-bind it regularly- just once. Can i ask- after you bound it and you popped it up to hover, did it hover reasonably stable all by itself? if all your trims are centred, it should sit reasonably stable in a hover without much input.
RCGP is offline Find More Posts by RCGP
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:59 PM
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
I usually get into a hoover after re-binding, yet I always get back and right drift. Then after one or two crashes, its all over the place again. I've never been able to hoover without input.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 01:43 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,453 Posts
if you get drift you need to adjust the links to the swash
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS READY TO FLY
always check the links

aft and right means the links are to short and need to made a turn or 2 longer
adjust one link at time with 0 trim till it stops drifting
best to do this indoors or when there 0 wind
then you can use your trim for adjusting flight in varying levels of wind
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Jan 07, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
Looks like I can't just be a flyer, and will have to get into the mechanics if I ever want to get off the ground (:-)).
Question: While the heli is idle, should the swash be seated level, or at a slight upward angle towards the nose? Is this why I may need to adjust the links? And if so, do I need any special tools?
Closed Thread