HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
Question
is this a good beginner /1st time flyer airplane?

been doing alot of reading on this:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...sm-rtf-HBZ7400

would you suggest getting this or something else?

and should i buy it RTF or BNF? and if BNF what controller?
AeR0_84 is offline Find More Posts by AeR0_84
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:59 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,213 Posts
Absolutely!

I bought mine RTF. Or you could buy a Spektrum DX6i transmitter for future BNF models.

I later got a DX6i with 3 receivers when it was on promo.

Either way, just get that HZ SC and fly!

BTW, log some 30 hours simulator time if you haven't done so yet.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:08 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,988 Posts
I got the PNP version and have been flying it about 8 months now with no crashes. I also fly mine with a DX6i Spektrum TX. Easiest plane to fly and land this side of the Hobbyzone Champ.

The direct competitor to the Hobbyzone Super Cub has got to be the Ares Gamma 370. It is sold by HobbyTown and flies just as great as the HZ Super Cub but costs a lot less. Check it out. Either one would be a great first plane.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:12 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,367 Posts
You will not be disappointed with the HZSC.
Was my first plane and many others also.

Unlike most of the lesser expensive trainers out there this one has actual R&D behind it and it shows.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
Absolutely!

I bought mine RTF. Or you could buy a Spektrum DX6i transmitter for future BNF models.

I later got a DX6i with 3 receivers when it was on promo.

Either way, just get that HZ SC and fly!

BTW, log some 30 hours simulator time if you haven't done so yet.
who and what was the promo price?
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:06 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeR0_84 View Post
who and what was the promo price?
I just bought my SC from the local hobby shop. $189.00
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:55 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,604 Posts
Why not? The Super Cub was #1 newbie trainer until the Champ came along and there are legitimate arguments that the Super Cub is superior, especially with the Spektrum radio and LiPo battery. It's too early to see if the Ares Gamma is going to whip up on both of them, and I really like that plane.

Hope it gets its licks in, but no matter what, the Super Cub is a solidly competent learner plane that won't let you down.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Nov 2008
488 Posts
Quote:
been doing alot of reading on this:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...sm-rtf-HBZ7400

would you suggest getting this or something else?

and should i buy it RTF or BNF? and if BNF what controller?
You are right on track my friend!! this plane fly looks real, graceful.

Edmond
Edmond Y is online now Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:16 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys, im just a bit afraid to pull the trigger and buy it for 199.99 as i am afraid its going to go on sale and i miss out..
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:35 AM
United States, OH, Amesville
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
Super Easy... Super Ugly Easy

Quote:
Thanks for all the help guys, im just a bit afraid to pull the trigger and buy it for 199.99 as i am afraid its going to go on sale and i miss out..
Hi,

A few months ago I found an old Gentle Lady kit hiding in the back of the closet. It had been there for AGES. I decided to build it. After realizing all the time and effort I was putting in, I decided to get a more rugged trainer before flying the stick and tissue plane. Good thing. I bought a Hawk Sky, and then I put that poor battered bird into trees, into the ground, and into dire straights. I turned to the forums for help, and a fellow with the handle "Balsa or Carbon" (Al) suggested that I build a plane he calls the SUPER EASY. It's made from 1 1/2 sheet of Dollar Tree foam board (costing $1 each) and a cheap combo kit ($25). You will need a Tx and Rcvr, but I managed to score those very affordably.

It was a good thing that I decided to build a few of those before I continued to destroy my Hawk Sky. Man, I sucked at flying. I put my first SE into the ground so many times you could plant a field of corn in the divots. But that's okay... I stripped out the electronics and bought more foam board. The second one lasted a little longer. But I finally managed to knock the motor loose, and it did a Texas Chainsaw Massacre on the wing. The third one is doing okay, in spite of tangling with a 14 KV power line. The fourth one is on the table, nearly finished. It doesn't feel bad to crash a plane when a complete new airframe is going to cost $2 and 2 or 3 hours of time. I've learned a lot about building, repair, and even a little about design.

You can see the thread at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767975 There are a lot of good links and advice in there. I want to thank all the people who have given me advice, encouragement, and assistance.

Ad Astra

Dan
Dan_D is offline Find More Posts by Dan_D
Last edited by Dan_D; Dec 08, 2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: improve clarity