SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:42 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
488 Posts
Discussion
'Nuther Trip To The Attic = More Goodies!!

Just got down from another scary trip "up there".

I've been fretting and wringing my hands concerning where in the world my bevy of irreplaceable engine parts went. Armed with my trusty hand-held spot light... up I went... again.

After moving boxes, opening boxes, looking and moving and digging... EUREKA!

Down I came with booty in hand.

Out of the box and onto the workbench the parts cabinet went... the smaller boxes were opened...

Wow!! I've got more engine goodies than I remembered! I found lots of 36X-type cases (two versions of 35X cases even!), new pistons and sleeves, cranks, gaskets, screws, factory needle valve assemblies, etc, etc...oh and heads!

As for the heads: I had forgotten that I have brand new straight plug 35X/36X heads, phase one 36X angle plug heads... and the last run "hi compression" 36X heads.

I'm in 36X heaven!!!

Like a proud papa... below is a quick pic I just snapped.

Hmmm..... think I'll go back up and get the Demon and Combat Cat and start removing their engines for cleaning.
LA Ming is offline Find More Posts by LA Ming
Last edited by LA Ming; Nov 02, 2012 at 10:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:09 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
488 Posts
Went ahead a retrieved the Demon. Already have it cleaned and waiting for the engine to be removed and serviced.

See? Told you I found a Demon in The Attic!!
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:07 AM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
You sure build pretty. The best I can usually attain is light, straight and right.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:13 AM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
488 Posts
Thanks tigreflyer.

Gotta' remember these are my "tribute" combat planes. That is, a tribute to the planes and builders/flyers that I admired in my youth. They are strictly "sport flyer" planes. So... I took the time to adorn them similar to the way combat planes were decorated during that era. Seemed "back then", the airplanes were more craft-oriented, colorful, and with eye-catching trim. The clear film "utility" planes didn't start showing up until the very early 70's as I recall?

As my combat planes evolved, and I was actively flying some combat, my planes were "light, straight and right" with little regard to "pretty". However, none of those planes and decor mean much to me now. Maybe I'll dig up some of my pics of some of those types of airplanes and post... you'll see what I mean!
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:41 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,688 Posts
The Mother Lode! G-man on 'Brotherhoodofthering.info' would love to see this stuff! Give him a thrill! Nice airplanes... and attitude!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:54 AM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
488 Posts
Hi ARUP!

Did a google on the "Brotherhoodofthering"... sure a lot of Lord Of The Rings websites out there! However, there was one website by that name you supplied that seemed to be filled with Ringmaster CRAZIES! I'll bet that's the site, huh?

I've got a big day ahead of me... doubt I'll be able to piddle n' diddle with my new toys until later. Once things settle maybe I will register and can drop by and say "HI" over there and give a shout to G-man.

Last night while going through the stuff pictured above, I have learned that I need more pistons and sleeves. Hmmm.
Old Oct 07, 2014, 11:47 AM
Joined Jun 2014
2 Posts
i need a back plate for 36x can u help
danm630 is offline Find More Posts by danm630
Old Oct 07, 2014, 11:49 AM
Joined Jun 2014
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danm630 View Post
need a back plate for a 36x can any help
danm630 is offline Find More Posts by danm630
Old Oct 07, 2014, 11:59 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
869 Posts
The same backplate was used on Fox 36s from 1962 to 1988, all interchangeable with each other. Started from the Blue Ribbon Fox, and Series 3 Combat Special (well, probably including the second batch of Rockets, also), continued through the Sport 36 PB engines.
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Oct 07, 2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2014, 12:55 PM
hothandle
Broken Arrow, Ok.
Joined Nov 2004
24 Posts
Mr. Ming:

What is the difference between the blackhead CS hi compression head and the latest run of 36X hi compression heads?

Hothandle??
Hothandle is offline Find More Posts by Hothandle
Old Oct 07, 2014, 03:00 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
869 Posts
I'm curious. I'll bet the anodizing is the only difference.
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Oct 07, 2014, 03:22 PM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Dec 2011
376 Posts
Nice find LA. And thats a great looking Demon!
Bob Mears is offline Find More Posts by Bob Mears
Old Oct 07, 2014, 07:31 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
488 Posts
Wow... this old thread has been resurrected! Lessee' what ya'll said...

danm630 asked:

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't have very many rear covers in my stash. Those I do have will be needed as I slowly build up the empty cases you see in the above picture.

kiwi said:

Quote:
The same backplate was used on Fox 36s from 1962 to 1988, all interchangeable with each other.
This is technically accurate, and in a pinch, one can use a rear cover from a 36 C/L (plain bearing engine originating in the early 1970s) on a 36X, but (of course) it won't be historically accurate, if that's important to you. I guess I'm not terribly picky about an engine being historically accurate in some respects, for I have wrong-era angle plug heads (their exterior was polished and have high compression) on 36X engines of earlier vintage. Just can't pass up the small gain by doing so!

Ol' Hothandle asked:

Quote:
What is the difference between the blackhead CS hi compression head and the latest run of 36X hi compression heads?
By "latest run", which high compression heads do you refer? I'm not very knowledgeable on the combat engines that followed the Baldhead of the mid-70s. IF you are talking about the baffle piston combat engines... then the last heads that were made that I know of were for the 36XBB and Duke had the die modified so there was less volume in the head (i.e. more compression). These heads have two easy spotting features:

* They were polished in the tumbler.

* In the compression area there is a flat spot on the long side of the head wedge that is a telltale sign of stuffing the head with more material to up the compression ratio.

Plus, these heads that I'm talking about were machined a bit differently as well, and are the most RIGID and less stressing of all the 36X head configurations. I SELDOM get a head bind when using these heads for an engine build. (I often get head binds using the older "correct era" heads.)

Bob said

Quote:
Nice find LA. And thats a great looking Demon!
Thanks Bob!

I'm hoping to build a Super Swoop and a Switchblade this winter. Also MAY shoot for another Voodoo if I can find me a good running Johnson CS to put on it. Guess I could put another 36X on it... but a Johnson would be cooler. (Argggh... did this 36X fan really say that???)