HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:45 AM
Video Juggernaut
Wingbreaker's Avatar
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post


Should i go out and see if the V120 will take it? I don't even think the X5 will like to fly in this. In fact, i'm positive the FAA would be grounding real helicopters in this. sucks. Can't fly this weekend. I'll have to resort to crashing my V120 in my driveway some more. I am on my last set of mix-matched 130X blades too. I ended up with one white one from the V120D05CS08 and one yellow from the D02S. I will probably try the bulleted ones next. But with how cold it is, i'm sure one of these blades will go in the first crash today! I have plenty of stock and other blades, including wood. But they are not as good. Oh well, away i go. expect some videos later if i don't crash and break the heli in the first 30 seconds, which is fairly common.
Flew a master cp and v450d03 in 30mph + no
Prob
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:58 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Spyro37's Avatar
Joined Jun 2009
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
While we're on the subject of Chargers, does anyone know the generic names of the stock mating Connectors to the following stock LiPos:

Walkera V120D02S = Walkera two pin plug
Blade Nano = Ultra-Micro UMX
mCPX = http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...g_Harness.html
Blade mCPx BL = UMX
Blade 130x = UMX


OTHERS:
- http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...index&cPath=80
- http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...lite_JST_.html
- http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...2S_Lipoly.html
- http://helidirect.com/xtreme-chargin...ed-p-23854.hdx


By generic name, I mean something like a DigiKey part number. I'm clueless when it comes to identifying Connector names.
- Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Mar 10, 2013 at 01:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:08 PM
Registered User
i812's Avatar
Joined Aug 2009
5,114 Posts
Thanks
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:18 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
Flew a master cp and v450d03 in 30mph + no
Prob
I flew my V120D02S within 12 hours before this super typhoon (equivalent to the highest grade hurricane) arrived and within 12 hours after it left. It wasn't very pleasant but it was still flyable. There were fallen trees everywhere in my neighborhood and my flying site was littered with tree branches.

Video: Hong Kong hammered by violent typhoon Vincente (1 min 35 sec)
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:32 PM
Registered User
i812's Avatar
Joined Aug 2009
5,114 Posts
I've been in a typhoon in Okinawa where I was picked up a few feet by the wind and was able to steer myself "flying" backwards against the wind. Seriously.

If I faced the wind, it was just strong enough to pick me up. I could change how high up or down, left or right I was blown backwards by changing the amount of body angle to/against the wind. It was fun (almost like surfing), not scary except for the stuff that was hitting my face. I only did it a few feet at a time, for about a minute.
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Mar 10, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:51 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
I've been in a typhoon in Okinawa where I was picked up a few feet by the wind and was able to steer myself "flying" backwards against the wind. Seriously.

If I faced the wind, it was just strong enough to pick me up. I could change how high up or down, left or right I was blown backwards by changing the amount of body angle to/against the wind. It was fun (almost like surfing), not scary except for the stuff that was hitting my face. I only did if for less than minute.
We were lucky that nobody was killed that night. It was the first time in 10 years that Hong Kong took a direct hit. When I flew just the day before, I had no inkling that thing would deteriorate so quickly. I believe it was only no. 3 signal then. But the typhoon suddenly changed its course and went straight for Hong Kong, so the signals quickly went to 8. 9. and finally 10. Luckily, it reached us at around 3-4 am so that by the next morning, the winds had died down considerably.

I think you really need to have a pocket wind meter around to know exactly what the situation is at your flying field. I find a lot of these claims of high winds are very questionable. They are not backed up by the appearance of the videos.

Other claims that I also find questionable are when people say that their mCPX or Genius CP handles wind better than a 450. There is no way they can handle wind better than a properly set up 450 FBL, let alone a 250 FBL. The reason why some would not take their bigger helis off in high wind is because they are scared of crashing it, not because it handles wind worse.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:18 PM
V120D02S, GCP
LarsDennert's Avatar
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
I was flying circuits, loops and flips today in a large empty parking lot in a park while my kids rode their bikes. A sherriff drove up and announced that it wasn't good idea and that the kids should ride on the bike path. Not a single word about the 120. It's great because people consider it a toy. He was just worried about my 5 year old.

I landed so hard trying to put it down when he drove up because i was in idle up that i popped the tail link off with a rotor strike and scuffed the blade tips.
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:07 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsDennert View Post
I was flying circuits, loops and flips today in a large empty parking lot in a park while my kids rode their bikes. A sherriff drove up and announced that it wasn't good idea and that the kids should ride on the bike path. Not a single word about the 120. It's great because people consider it a toy. He was just worried about my 5 year old.

I landed so hard trying to put it down when he drove up because i was in idle up that i popped the tail link off with a rotor strike and scuffed the blade tips.
The local cops and sheriffs here always seem to want to watch or otherwise could care less. I was flying the 250 in the same parking lot i fly the 120s in at night. Because it's wide open, well lit, and not so windy at night. The local cops always creep up slow from behind so they don't freak me out and they usually are hanging out back there just watching me fly.

If you pause the first frame in this video you can see where i cut the beginning of this out where we were just chatting. At the end he comments on how awesome it is, being the first time seeing the 4f200 out there. This was the "big" one to him

4F200 - Quick test of 2mm rocker screw (1 min 56 sec)




Otherwise, today i went to fly the V120 and one of the two tail blades just shot off as soon as i went to idle up.. Must have broke at he root because all that was left was the screw. It bent my clutch shaft too. AWESOME!
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:08 PM
V120D02S, GCP
LarsDennert's Avatar
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
I have a friend who is LAPD and also a pilot/instructor. I keep meaning to go up in his Cessna with him and have a go. He used to fly passenger jets. I think cops like all things gadgety. He owns a gift shop at the local airfield too and on a whim I bought a Syama S107 three channel when I was there a couple of years back. That's what gave me the bug for helicopters.

I'm guessing a 200 is the largest I would fly at a non RC venue. After that it seems like a dedicated field with rules makes more sense given the potential for injury and damage. I live in the Los Angeles area. The fields here seem to be either private or filled with plankers that give heli pilots a bad time. I'd rather drive out to the countryside to fly something big.

What's everyone's experience with this kind of stuff? The 120 is as fast as bigger birds but has limited range (with my eyesight anyway)
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:19 PM
Folding Spacetime
navigator2011's Avatar
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
2,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsDennert View Post
I have a friend who is LAPD and also a pilot/instructor. I keep meaning to go up in his Cessna with him and have a go. He used to fly passenger jets. I think cops like all things gadgety. He owns a gift shop at the local airfield too and on a whim I bought a Syama S107 three channel when I was there a couple of years back. That's what gave me the bug for helicopters.

I'm guessing a 200 is the largest I would fly at a non RC venue. After that it seems like a dedicated field with rules makes more sense given the potential for injury and damage. I live in the Los Angeles area. The fields here seem to be either private or filled with plankers that give heli pilots a bad time. I'd rather drive out to the countryside to fly something big.

What's everyone's experience with this kind of stuff? The 120 is as fast as bigger birds but has limited range (with my eyesight anyway)
I also live near Los Angeles, and I do most of my flying in my front yard in the early morning before there are lots of people and dogs about. The biggest I have flown is my 450 Pro. Many times, cars will stop and just watch me doing flying circuits over my lawn. To be honest, I am never quite comfortable flying the 450 because it seems a hair too big. I like the V120D02S because it is quiet, non-intimidating to pedestrians, and won't do too much damage to itself or anything else in a crash. Also, the V120 is capable of 3D flight, so I can learn from it before trying things out on the more expensive 450. I am preparing to maiden my newly assembled 250, and hoping it will become a good yard flyer, too.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:41 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
I suppose the cops would be impressed by the 3 bladed head.

I have been flying in small mini soccer fields and basketball courts recently. Where there are a few people with children around, I prefer to fly a 100 sized CP. I only fly my 120 when there are only one or two adults around. I rarely fly a 250 in those fields.

However, I have seen a person in his mid fifties flying quite competent 3D in one of those fields. Also, I heard that some use to fly large nitros there as well. However, I don't think they did anything more than hovering. They left such a mess though that no one wanted to play football there afterwards because there was fuel on the ground everywhere. This is typical Hong Kong "consideration of others" style.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:47 PM
Video Juggernaut
Wingbreaker's Avatar
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I flew my V120D02S within 12 hours before this super typhoon (equivalent to the highest grade hurricane) arrived and within 12 hours after it left. It wasn't very pleasant but it was still flyable. There were fallen trees everywhere in my neighborhood and my flying site was littered with tree branches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYRDHr1fwFc
glad to hear you are ok. yeah, i figured the 120 would be just as good. I was just saying this as someone stated earlier that the new walkera controllers might be lame under wind effect which is not the case. Your point pores it even more. This is my last post defending the new line of walker stuff. I just wanted to share how impressed I am with such an economical product. I still like my align, blade and clone stuff too. My 120 and 8s will be here soon. can't wait to give them a go.
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:40 PM
Registered User
microrcfiend's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Jun 2012
1,619 Posts
It's fair to say the v120 and 130x are different animals and slightly different budgets (down to less than £30 now) but it does say something there doesn't seem to be a single person on the planet with both of them who would rather fly the v120.
microrcfiend is offline Find More Posts by microrcfiend
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:19 AM
Controls Engineer
lasakro's Avatar
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 07:20 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
I have finally been able to make some videos with a camera on a tripod. I have been flying in a concrete mini-soccer field lately and I prefer to fly 100 sized CPs. I have flown my V120D02S there before but I would never fly my Master CP. I am concerned about the possibility that it might fly out onto the streets nearby. Having said that, some modelers used to fly 550 to 650 sized nitros there (hovering and slow flight only). They made such a mess with the heli fuel on the ground that nobody wanted to play football there afterwards. This is typical of Hong Kong people. A number of other fields had been closed because modelers left a disgusting mess afterwards.

My preferred model is the Super CP which is shown in the first two videos. There is some bogging of the motor but at least I could prevent a crash most of the time. The most important thing is that it is proving to be the most durable heli I have ever flown. The Devo 7e is a little gem which only costs $30-40 more if it is bundled with the Super CP. Moreover, it is able to support the Deviation firmware.

Walkera Super CP Drunken Flight 1 (1 min 42 sec)


Walkera Super CP Drunken Flight 2 (2 min 32 sec)


Here is a video of the V922 on the same day which I did not push as hard as the Super CP. The main problem is that it does not have a programmable transmitter so I was unable to make the heli more aggressive.

WL Toys V922 Drunken Flight (1 min 24 sec)
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Mar 12, 2013 at 09:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion new heli from walkera HIKO400? xyzy2 Micro Helis 15 Jan 12, 2012 12:16 PM
Sold Align 70A ESC W/BEC from 500/550 class Heli NEW! HD Hucker Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Oct 13, 2011 01:37 PM
Discussion Ultra Durable Diamond Mini Gyro 3 Channel Indoor Ready to Fly RC Remote Control Heli LittleG Coaxial Helicopters 32 Jan 14, 2011 01:55 PM
Discussion Walker 4#3 throttle problem Ė new heli Ronon Micro Helis 2 Jan 24, 2009 05:22 PM