HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:03 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,693 Posts
Nice flying Herc as always.
But personally I can't see the point of the crack wing, it really doesn't do the same manoeuvres as the other crack planes with the tail.
There are not really any advantages to not having a tail, and it looks like the other crack planes fly better 3d.
What gap do twisted see this model filling in their line up?
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:18 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,332 Posts
Hey Jimbo,

The Crack Wing is not in any way meant to compete with current 3D or XA planes. It's an additional product that was intended for pilots who want indoor combat or a simple 3 channel inexpensive flyer. In essence a high fun, low cost, big performance alternative for when your brain needs a break from the complexity of XA.

You'll notice that the thread for the wing is in the wing section and not the 3D section. It's just a different market to expand in to.

C
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:29 AM
United States, FL, Keystone Heights
Joined Dec 2012
627 Posts
the nitch it fills for me is FUN.

its fast and just a ton of fun to fly around. floats slow, hovers for a bit in a slight wind.. flys inches off the ground... it was 45 bucks.

i was flying it yesterday in STRONG winds. having a blast. tried to fly my CYL... no friggin way. lol. so it does give me stick time when i otherwise wouldnt be flying anything.
swampflyer is offline Find More Posts by swampflyer
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:26 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
I can see the point of the Crack Wing but it would need a load of people you fly with to get one too. To me it wouldn't have the appeal when going for a little solo fly out the back of the house. Those that make it to a lot of shows and events could have a great time with a load of these things blatting around the sky at the same time.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:09 PM
United Kingdom, Gunnerton
Joined Dec 2010
1,132 Posts
Crack Wing for FPV?

Do you think the Crack Wing would be too twitchy for use as a super light weight FPV system (i.e. with a 2g camera)? Using something with an enclosed prop is tempting for this. I quite fancy some care free, bouncing off the walls FPV.
jcansdale is offline Find More Posts by jcansdale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:11 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,934 Posts
Hey Guys,

If you have never flown a flying wing, you are missing a unique flying experience.

Back in the late 80's, I was the first to manufacture and sell a combat wing called the Gremlin.

I still have one that I converted to electric (I'll be posting a build thread very soon) and it is a blast to fly.

Flying wings might lack the thrill of 3D but they have other benefits. For one, they track like they are on rails. Second, they can go super fast yet slow down to a crawl - they do not stall. Third, to the casual observer, they appear to be a handfull to fly. However, they are docile and make you look good. Fourth, they handle wind extremely well and appear not to be affected by it. When nobody else is flying due to high winds, you will be.

That's my 2 cents worth...

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JC Spohr; Feb 13, 2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: ps - They are a great throw and go plane.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:05 PM
United States, FL, Keystone Heights
Joined Dec 2012
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcansdale View Post
Do you think the Crack Wing would be too twitchy for use as a super light weight FPV system (i.e. with a 2g camera)? Using something with an enclosed prop is tempting for this. I quite fancy some care free, bouncing off the walls FPV.
you can try. if you dial the rates way down. it certainly does fly very smoothly if you want it to.
swampflyer is offline Find More Posts by swampflyer
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:29 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Hahaa there's an idea, you have to post the video's though have you seen them stocked in the UK yet? might be another RCF order coming up for you.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:53 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,332 Posts
Quote:
It would be perfect for an small light fpv ship! Again, you guys are pulling ideas right out of our head. We were just talking about that.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:20 PM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
982 Posts
I remember when some of the guys in my club had Zaggi's... 7 or 8 years ago... It was a popular wing at that time. I remember they used to catch thermals once in a while and could fly them in a thermal for a half hour or so with no motor input at all. Is this wing capable of the same things (given you can see it and have the tx/rx range)?
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:08 PM
Joined Sep 2009
33 Posts
Zaggi's help start the e revolution.
fastlif is offline Find More Posts by fastlif
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:52 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
I remember when some of the guys in my club had Zaggi's... 7 or 8 years ago... It was a popular wing at that time. I remember they used to catch thermals once in a while and could fly them in a thermal for a half hour or so with no motor input at all. Is this wing capable of the same things (given you can see it and have the tx/rx range)?
Absolutely. Probably wouldn't need that much of a thermal either.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:29 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,437 Posts
Now I got a couple guys from the hobbytown interested in foamies, I'll get them intrested in the wing for combat.

Still looking at it wondering if it would be possible to add rudders to it. A couple 2.5g servos maybe a y harness. Hmmm
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:47 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,332 Posts
Brad added rudders on one of his. Maybe he will share his experience with us.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:50 AM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
That would be great!
I'm also thinking about adding rudder control.
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark