HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:04 PM
Opt
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2010
407 Posts
I'm using the bare module rather than a rtf transmitter with built in voltage reg etc.
should otherwise be the same thing though

Just checked on google maps and the range is more like 350-450m :/
Opt is offline Find More Posts by Opt
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:16 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleted View Post
Hi Guys,

I bought the 5.8ghz 200mw system for my quad about a month or two ago as my introduction to FPV. I am using these spironet antennas from HK.

I don't seem to be getting anyway near the range I expected (1km). At the most in a clear LOS area like the beach I get around 150 - 200meters before the signal starts to degrade. I get the same range if I fly at a sports field as well. From what I have read I should have been able to get at least a few hundred meters with the stock antennas and around 1km with the spironets.

Are the HK spironet antennas no good or is there something else I am missing?

Thanks in advance.
I have the same setup as you RC305 and 200mw with sproNet form Hobby King and I thought I'd get more range. The farthest I got was 3,000ft. I have my antenna mounted on the end of an arm on my quad.
I ordered a Dragon Link and I also want more video range so I'm going to order a 1.3 400mw system.
jasper7821 is online now Find More Posts by jasper7821
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:27 PM
Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper7821 View Post
I have the same setup as you RC305 and 200mw with sproNet form Hobby King and I thought I'd get more range. The farthest I got was 3,000ft. I have my antenna mounted on the end of an arm on my quad.
I ordered a Dragon Link and I also want more video range so I'm going to order a 1.3 400mw system.
I would be happy with that range as that is all I am aiming for for the moment!
Could you please post a pic of your setup on your quad? Maybe placement of the vtx and rx is key?

Can any of the gurus advise why the range would be so different and any help for me to get a bit further out that 200 meters?

Thanks
deleted is offline Find More Posts by deleted
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:32 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I bought the 5.8ghz 200mw system for my quad about a month or two ago as my introduction to FPV. I am using these spironet antennas from HK.

I don't seem to be getting anyway near the range I expected (1km). At the most in a clear LOS area like the beach I get around 150 - 200meters before the signal starts to degrade. I get the same range if I fly at a sports field as well. From what I have read I should have been able to get at least a few hundred meters with the stock antennas and around 1km with the spironets.

Are the HK spironet antennas no good or is there something else I am missing?

Thanks in advance.
i'm willing to bet anything that it's the positioning of your antenna on your rig, when i first tried mine (200mW 5.8) w/blue beam antennas (more or less the same as your spironets) i got maybe 100m before i started losing signal. After I installed legs on it and let the antenna hang down way below the rig i was getting 1km
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:35 PM
Joined Apr 2007
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
i'm willing to bet anything that it's the positioning of your antenna on your rig, when i first tried mine (200mW 5.8) w/blue beam antennas (more or less the same as your spironets) i got maybe 100m before i started losing signal. After I installed legs on it and let the antenna hang down way below the rig i was getting 1km
So to clarify you mounted your antenna upside down on your quad ie. below your quad? Does placement near other electronics on the quad matter as well?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:37 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
So to clarify you mounted your antenna upside down on your quad ie. below your quad? Does placement near other electronics on the quad matter as well?
it does help if your tx is further away from your electronics, and yes my antenna is pointing straight down at the moment. the bulb i guess you could say is about 6" from the bottom plate of the hex, so no matter how much i tilt in any direction i always get clear LOS to home.

having said that, i just finished my 900mhz tests today on my hex (i have both 5.8 and 900 mounted on it) and i was able to tx video through a lot of trees with the 900, so the 5.8 is likely going to be removed

luckily i have good size clearance legs, the 900mhz cloverleaf is BIG
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:40 PM
Joined Apr 2007
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
it does help if your tx is further away from your electronics, and yes my antenna is pointing straight down at the moment. the bulb i guess you could say is about 6" from the bottom plate of the hex, so no matter how much i tilt in any direction i always get clear LOS to home.

having said that, i just finished my 900mhz tests today on my hex (i have both 5.8 and 900 mounted on it) and i was able to tx video through a lot of trees with the 900, so the 5.8 is likely going to be removed

luckily i have good size clearance legs, the 900mhz cloverleaf is BIG
Thanks for your input - I will try this placement although I don't have a lot of clearance below.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:43 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Here's a few photos.
I had it mounted upside down on the arm. I tried to get more range and I moved it to the rear on a piece of brass plate so the antenna was several inches in the air. That way made it worse and I only got about 500ft or so if I remember correctly.
So I moved it back onto the end of the arm and the farthest i can get is 3,000ft and that's with the RX on a pole about 8ft above the ground.

With the TX sitting on top of my monitor that's on my tripod I only get about 800ft or so.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:44 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
I also had it mounted here and got terrible range.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:50 PM
Joined Apr 2007
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper7821 View Post
Here's a few photos.
I had it mounted upside down on the arm. I tried to get more range and I moved it to the rear on a piece of brass plate so the antenna was several inches in the air. That way made it worse and I only got about 500ft or so if I remember correctly.
So I moved it back onto the end of the arm and the farthest i can get is 3,000ft and that's with the RX on a pole about 8ft above the ground.

With the TX sitting on top of my monitor that's on my tripod I only get about 800ft or so.
Thanks for the pics - that really helps. I was thinking of moving to the position you have in your last picture (right at the back) but won't bother given you have had no luck.

I will try upside down at the end of one of the arm.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:26 AM
FPV addicted
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jul 2010
422 Posts
Also check the channel selection DIP switches on both vTX and RX. Their wrong position is often the cause for short range. For channel 1 they must be all 4 to the ON position ( the manual has some mistakes about this). You can check very quickly if the position causes the short range by flipping all 4 mini knobs (from either vTX or RX) to the opposite direction (right now you might be on channel 8)
futurebreeze is online now Find More Posts by futurebreeze
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:13 AM
Joined Apr 2007
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurebreeze View Post
Also check the channel selection DIP switches on both vTX and RX. Their wrong position is often the cause for short range. For channel 1 they must be all 4 to the ON position ( the manual has some mistakes about this). You can check very quickly if the position causes the short range by flipping all 4 mini knobs (from either vTX or RX) to the opposite direction (right now you might be on channel 8)
Thanks but I am already on Channel 1. Might try channel 3 if the vtx placement change yields no joy.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:21 AM
Living in the south of France
Joined Aug 2011
483 Posts
I'm getting 600 meters at home( 800+ on the model field) and now that i have put table tennis balls on the aerials to protect them i only get 500 meters, this is with 'terry build' 4 lobes or my home built 3 lobes, there's no difference.
paulinfrance is offline Find More Posts by paulinfrance
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:24 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,208 Posts
table tennis balls = white plastic, i.e. 99% chances to be white due to titanium oxide, the most used white pigment in industry.
titanium oxide = conductor, thus absorbing microwaves, proof this by placing a ball in mw oven, if warm then I am right.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:41 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,312 Posts
hi,

use a separable acryl-ball ... no dampening! like this http://www.ebay.de/itm/Acrylkugel-Ku...item92b23776bf

cu Thomas
Thint1 is online now Find More Posts by Thint1