Herishi is offline Find More Posts by Herishi
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:06 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
820 Posts
Video coming

Jumpy and Herishi,

I hope to respond to your requests in the next week. Have video and build log photos. Just need to get posted on YouTube and get some text together.

I really love this plane. Now that I have got it flying well I am looking forward to thermalling season to begin. It is a good looking plane in the air and exciting to fly.

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:35 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Aug 2009
24 Posts
Hi there Jackson what measurement did you use for COG please and good luck with your maidens.
Cheers Paul
reefpilot is offline Find More Posts by reefpilot
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:34 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
820 Posts
CG for Ventus

Suggest 43 mm behind wing root. Then modify according to taste and soaring conditions. For ridge soaring I suggest more nose heavy than thermal flying.

Jackson
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:56 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
820 Posts
Ventus Flying Colorado Ridge at Sunset

Check out this video I just posted on YouTube

Jackson

Ventus Flying Colorado Ridge at Sunset (2 min 58 sec)
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:48 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post

Jackson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcAdG...HSivebevIZba4=
very nice, good view from tail!
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:13 PM
Christiansburg, VA
Joined Sep 2002
782 Posts
Nice job Jackson! Could you lower the camera sound? I found the wind roar rather distracting. Either way, it is very nice!
Mike
ForeverFlying is offline Find More Posts by ForeverFlying
Old Mar 22, 2012, 04:53 AM
United Kingdom, England, Harwich
Joined Jul 2011
107 Posts
Quote:

Jackson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcAdG...HSivebevIZba4=
great vid, what camera did you use? I was thinking about fitting my gopro camera where you mounted your camera as it would save having to put ballast in the tail but I wasnt sure how the airflow over the tail would be effected and how this would effect flight.

Steve
Herishi is offline Find More Posts by Herishi
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:33 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
820 Posts
Video Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herishi View Post
great vid, what camera did you use? I was thinking about fitting my gopro camera where you mounted your camera as it would save having to put ballast in the tail but I wasnt sure how the airflow over the tail would be effected and how this would effect flight.

Steve
Hi Steve,

The camera I used is the Hobby King HD Wing Camera which has a resolution of 1280 x 720 at 30 fps. You can purchase it for $35 here: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._5MP_CMOS.html

I was hoping the camera would be a bargain and am quite pleased with it. It does not have the quality or speed of capture of the GoPro, which I believe has a 60 fps capture rate. However, it is nice and light. I have it set up with a patch of velcro so I can move it from plane to plane as I choose.

Cheers,

Jackson
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:36 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
820 Posts
Wind Roar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlying View Post
Nice job Jackson! Could you lower the camera sound? I found the wind roar rather distracting. Either way, it is very nice!
Mike
Mike,

Thanks for this feedback. I plan to make other videos with the Wing Cam and will make sure the wind noise is further reduced. I actually had it turned down quite a bit from the original noise level.

I am hoping to get a video of the Ventus in a thermal this weekend. Also want to integrate shots from a land-based video camera to give the viewer an additional perspective.

Regards,

Jackson
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:25 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Mike,

Thanks for this feedback. I plan to make other videos with the Wing Cam and will make sure the wind noise is further reduced. I actually had it turned down quite a bit from the original noise level.

I am hoping to get a video of the Ventus in a thermal this weekend. Also want to integrate shots from a land-based video camera to give the viewer an additional perspective.

Regards,

Jackson
I can't wait to see how this plane thermals!
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:16 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
820 Posts
Ventus Making Low Passes

Another video posted on YouTube. This time the Ventus is making low passes over the flying field.

Jackson

Ventus Low Passes 03-22-12 (3 min 17 sec)
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:00 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
820 Posts
Ventus Programming

I have confirmed through much additional testing that the optimal CG is going to be between 41 and 43mm back from wing root.

I have a Spektrum Dx8 transmitter and have been working to take full advantage of the potential of the Ventus. Since I have a nine-channel Orange receiver in the Ventus I was able to independently program each of the flap and aileron servos.

Here's a list of what I did:

1) Three flight modes: cruise, thermal and landing.  Cruise is basically best lift over drag speed and has neutral camber; thermal is minimum sink speed and adds camber from both the flaps and ailerons, plus elevator up trim to slow the plane down; landing puts in more camber to generate both lift and drag and has elevator down trim for a steeper approach angle.  With the landing mode the idea is to drop the plane down to the landing site, then flare for final touchdown. 

2) Down elevator mixed to throttle to counteract pitching up with power.  Plane climbs at about a 10-12 degree angle hands-off now.

3) Flap mixed to up elevator to give me more up elevator authority. The elevator is scale and relatively small. Mixing flap is like putting the elevator on steroids. Very useful for getting into tight circles for thermalling. Now when I pick up a thermal indicator via wing lift, I can immediately flip into thermal mode, roll the plane into the thermal, and pull a fairly tight turn to core it.  I think this mix is also helping with a tip stalling issue I encountered.

4) Ailerons mixed to flap to extend wing camber changes associated with different flight modes.  The amount of camber change is slightly less for the ailerons than for the flaps so that the ailerons have working room.

5) Timer is set to initiate at throttle level of 50%.  This way the timer is counting down only when I am using the power.  I generally apply full power when I want to climb. I do find it useful to use moderate power when I am bringing the plane into land.

6) Differential mixed into the ailerons so they function more like spoilerons: more up than down movement.  This should reduce some of the adverse yaw in turns, the rudder takes care of the rest.

The Ventus is a flying machine these days. I have yet to do any thermal soaring due to lack of proper conditions when I was able to fly. However I have done quite a bit of ridge soaring and just flying around with the Ventus. It now has flight characteristics to match it's striking good looks in the air.

Cheers,

Jackson