HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2010, 03:46 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,669 Posts
Build Log
Oh No, ... Not Again! Ziroli Beech Expeditor D-18/C-45 PSS

Well Guy's, The stars are aligning up and the Dauntless is on track to finish her up well before the slope fest sooooo, ... I have been gathering up all the info I need for this build.

I will use the lessons learned from the Dauntless build and "THIS TIME" () I will build her light, ... no mold making on this one.

The goal is to have more or less, a GIANT floater. I will be making the fuselage and the engine nacelles using the lost foam method. Because of the size of this model, I am going to do this one a little different, ... think BBQ Rotisserie!

Anyhow, ... Rick (Sherpa) dropped off the foam for the fuselage and the nacelles (THANKS RICK ). The foam has already been hot wired to the basic blocks. I had the fuse blocks cut down the middle so I can lay in a piece of pipe down the center and that will act as the rotisserie rod. I will also be making a couple of stands with bearings for each end and a way to lock the fuselage in any position I need it to be in to aid in the shaping. Just like those engine stands that can rotate while you build your engine.

Specs;

Scale 2.4" = 1'
Length 80"
Wing Span 114"
Wing Area 1950 sq. in.
* Weight Goal under 17 pounds

Here is a couple of pictures of the paint scheme I will be doing, along with a picture of the foam.

MicroRotors is offline Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MicroRotors; Dec 30, 2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Added Specs.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2010, 03:57 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,416 Posts
Good Luck Bill ,another journey begins.
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Dec 30, 2010, 04:01 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,202 Posts
A giant floater

Sounds like fun!
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Dec 30, 2010, 04:43 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
Love the scheme. You're gonna need more lead.

Where'd Rick find that big freakin' block of foam?

Nauga,
momentally unarmed
nauga is offline Find More Posts by nauga
Old Dec 30, 2010, 05:05 PM
I failed linkage geometry
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,240 Posts
Looking forward to another masterpiece
salisbug is online now Find More Posts by salisbug
Old Dec 30, 2010, 05:58 PM
Sherpa
La Quinta, Ca.
Joined Sep 2003
1,654 Posts
Nauga,

I have a shop who has full size blocks 4 X 4 X feet. The full size billet is approximately 150.00 USD. They cut my block for the B-25 and will do just about any size you need. Their web site is http://www.xydroid.com/

The sell the machines starting at 25,000.00 USD The router and lathe combo starts at 80,000.00 USD if you want the ultra machine. Let me know if you buy one as I can store it for you.

Sherpa

who doesn't have enough money for the wire let alone the machine
Schwemmer is offline Find More Posts by Schwemmer
Old Dec 30, 2010, 07:51 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwemmer View Post
Nauga,

I have a shop who has full size blocks 4 X 4 X feet.
Don't you mean 4' x 4' x 8' ,,,
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Toy!
Old Dec 30, 2010, 08:04 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,669 Posts
Thanks Guy's, ... I think this one is going to be a fun build. There is nothing in particular that this plane does that makes it stick out, ... but it's has some classy lines to it, ... well an least it does to me. And I wanted something other than silver, blue, camo so I think this is visible for a floater and on/in the ground. To me, ... Camo and a Cajon mix, ... seems like a lot of time is needlessly spent mountain climbing!

The only tricky part I think, is going to be getting the middle wing section looking right. I thought the Dauntless had a thick airfoil, ... this beast sports 5.5" thick at the fuse! Looks like were going to have to use a little "Fugeination" (an old word I just made up ) to get it to look right because I'm not going with an airfoil that thick unless I get to fly "ON" it.

Hmm, ... speaking of a wing ... (add whistling sound)

Dave, ... look, ... it's already been wired!

Bill

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MicroRotors; Dec 30, 2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 02:38 AM
Mechanical gypsy
Spain
Joined Dec 2006
543 Posts
Cool project Bill. Would you consider extending the nose a bit to help with the CG?
chris s is online now Find More Posts by chris s
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:19 AM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,669 Posts
Possibly.

They had different versions including an extended glass house bomber version. Although this color pattern is not one of them.

I dont see much of an issue simply because their are more or less, 3 noses. The center wing section, engine nacelles and the fuselage will be one piece. Basically I will make a couple of steel, brass or lead discs to sit behind the mock up engines.

No, ... I dont anticipate any real issues with it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:59 AM
Mechanical gypsy
Spain
Joined Dec 2006
543 Posts
3 noses, I didnīt see that coming! Good thinking.
chris s is online now Find More Posts by chris s
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:06 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, OK, Henryetta
Joined Nov 2005
25,299 Posts
WOW! This is going to be a Sloper? Very cool.

Following along.

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:43 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,669 Posts
Well you know what they say about us Americans, ... Were the FATTEST nation on this planet, ... I see no difference in our PSS fuselages, ... do you?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2011, 05:51 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,669 Posts
Yesterday, I went and bought 2 sheets of .125" Masonite that is painted on one side so I could make some patterns. I started by making (2) of each, ... top and side views. I will use these patterns to hot wire the foam to it's basic shape.

Before I cut the profiles, ... I need to inlay an 1.125" aluminum tube to act as a spine. The spine will stay in the fuselage until after I wrap it in fiberglass. After fiber-glassing, ... I will pour in the Acetone, probably a half gallon will do it, ... then all the foam will turn to a messy slury and the tube will then be removed. Also I will be adding Nomex strips to the top, sides and bottom before glassing so I get a rigid fuse. This thing is big, ... just to get an ides, ... the cross section of the fuse at it's thickest part, between ribs 5 & 6 is 13.25" tall and 11.25" wide. I also need to thin the wing down, ... the plan shows 5.25" thick at the spar, ... like that's going to happen!

Bill
who still has plenty of time

The pictures show the pattern from a ladder view from the ground. Also the wing root thickness. The table is 4'x8'.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MicroRotors; Jan 05, 2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:47 PM
Team member-One day PSS Build!
Corona, CA.
Joined Sep 2003
1,452 Posts
Weeeeee! I like it Bill!
Carlski is offline Find More Posts by Carlski