HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:27 PM
John
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
2,002 Posts
Ok, we all agree the Xoar is better, but why? As in my case they are both the same wieght and size/pitch. If they suck, why do I see them in larger models so much?
jk6672 is offline Find More Posts by jk6672
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2014, 02:01 PM
Team Extreme Flight, JR, BandE
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
2,097 Posts
jk6672, there are other things than just weight/size/pitch. Some manufacturers over or under size their pitch, the airfoil on the prop, the chord, how it flattens under a load.....these things can all differ a bit and cause some difference in their performance.
Jeff
jwilliamsrc is offline Find More Posts by jwilliamsrc
Old Nov 11, 2014, 04:28 PM
3D Addict
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6672 View Post
I'm sad to report I wasted my money on the Falcon propeller. It looks nice, but it doesn't stack up to the Xoar electric prop.
I took the MXS out this morning with the Falcon propeller on. I didn't bench test, I just wanted to see how it performed. I honestly thought I was going to have a big grin on the first flight, but I didn't. I ran three pack through it and it didn't have the speed, or pull out power the Xoar did. I was rather surprised since i noticed better performance on my TH profile planes going from a GWS to Gemfan carbon fiber prop.

When I came home I weighed the propellers. To my surprise they both weighed exactly the same, 20g.
so on to the static test. I used a fully charged TP 4S 2700 740c pack.

Falcon: 44a and 666w
Xoar: 44a and 720w

Why the difference, I don't know, but I do know the Xoar performs better in the air.
I love Xoar props ... they seem to have a little lower pitch "feel" compared to APC's, but the light weight and perfect balance is tremendous. Have been tempted to go carbon, but other than bling factor it looks like spending overkill.
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast
Old Nov 12, 2014, 01:16 AM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,012 Posts
yea I tried a lil carbon prop on the EF Laser 48" and really not much of an advantage over the APC, Although it does look very nice

BTW....I replaced my mid-aired MXS with the Laser. Not real happy with that choice. MXS is a lot more fun
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Nov 12, 2014, 01:58 AM
John
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
2,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY View Post
yea I tried a lil carbon prop on the EF Laser 48" and really not much of an advantage over the APC, Although it does look very nice

BTW....I replaced my mid-aired MXS with the Laser. Not real happy with that choice. MXS is a lot more fun
Get both
jk6672 is offline Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Nov 12, 2014, 02:15 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,206 Posts
Quote:
Fly it harder and the plane will come to you. Max out the elevator throw and put some brute force and speed into your maneuvers. That's what the Laser really likes.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Nov 12, 2014, 02:52 PM
3D Addict
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
1,103 Posts
Quote:

Well maybe I'll try that because I just totaled the Laser ... and I just had it dialed in. I was doing stupid tumbles too low and far away

dam it, maybe I need to take a break.
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast
Old Nov 12, 2014, 05:58 PM
FLY ANGRY
Joined Jul 2008
5,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6672 View Post
Get both
Thats the plan, as for now the 91" has been keeping me more than content
Old Nov 12, 2014, 05:59 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeast View Post
Well maybe I'll try that because I just totaled the Laser ... and I just had it dialed in. I was doing stupid tumbles too low and far away

No, just fly a little more carefully for a week or two. The only thing that sucks more than crashing is crashing two in a row. Just make a deliberate effort to slow down and fly more deliberately. It's tough because it's in a 3D pilot's nature to push it.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 06:05 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
4,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeast View Post

Sorry to hear that. I have both and I'm a little more partial to the Laser right now. But the MXS is a little more violent.
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Nov 12, 2014, 06:07 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,206 Posts
Ooops! I forgot to add..........

Old Nov 12, 2014, 09:22 PM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Apr 2012
660 Posts
Nice doc.....nice.....
TheMagician007 is offline Find More Posts by TheMagician007
Old Nov 12, 2014, 09:43 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,206 Posts
The last thing you want to see when you look out of the peephole on your front door are those glowing red eyes.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:06 PM
FLY ANGRY
Joined Jul 2008
5,012 Posts
Unfortunately Ive had a couple VF's