HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2003, 04:24 PM
Clueless, but trying
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
P51 Upgrade strategies?

The ezone posts have given me cause for concern over the flyability of the GWS Mustang in its stock form, so I'd like anyone's input on:

- Is stock (300c) ok, and if so which GWS-type battery should I buy as a least cost option?

- If the GWS battery isn't enough to fly confidently, do you recomend the Etech 2s2p or 3s2p as the "next step up"?

- Assuming I can only afford to buy a battery upgrade with charger, or a motor/esc upgrade, which do you think would provide the best results and/or best bang for the buck?

The original draw to the hobby for me was the same as 90% of us, flying a WWII warbird. I'm 2 years into the hobby, and think its about time!

- Greg
Orcoz is offline Find More Posts by Orcoz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2003, 11:56 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined May 2002
911 Posts
Use the search tool...

A ton of info on the Mustang. I think the answer to your questions could easily be found. I have been browsing the threads for info on the Mustang as well. Just dig in a little deeper
DesertRC is offline Find More Posts by DesertRC
Old Jun 28, 2003, 12:02 AM
Joined May 2003
615 Posts
Brushless upgrade...
Guyffon is offline Find More Posts by Guyffon
Old Jun 29, 2003, 03:58 AM
Uh Oh Jungo
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2003
784 Posts
Re: P51 Upgrade strategies?

Quote:
Originally posted by Orcoz
Is stock (300c) ok, and if so which GWS-type battery should I buy as a least cost option?
The stock 300C is OK albeit a little sedate after awhile. You might want to re-time it. After it wears out, I would replace with either a Graupner 6V S300 or the new GWS 350 motor (they are similar).

I use 8-cell (9.6V) 730mAH pack made from Sanyo AAA NiMH cells. I think GWS has an equivalent pack.

Quote:

Assuming I can only afford to buy a battery upgrade with charger, or a motor/esc upgrade, which do you think would provide the best results and/or best bang for the buck?
Depends on how much you have to spend. If you can afford brushless I'd say go for it otherwise the Li-Po option (less expensive) would make it fly nicer (lighter) and longer.

Quote:

The original draw to the hobby for me was the same as 90% of us, flying a WWII warbird. I'm 2 years into the hobby, and think its about time!
Yes it's about time. I've only been flying for 7 months

Oh one thing this bird is very sensitive to balance so you should try and get your CG right at the maiden.

You may want to be slightly nose heavy at first maybe 1/2" front of wing spar. Now that I've flown (and crashed) it a little more I like it at the stock 6mm front of spar position.

Lateral balance is also really important as it will spin out of loops if one side is heavier than the other. Suggest trying your first loop really high up otherwise if it spins out you won't have time to recover.

Don't ask how I know.

Happy Landings!

Jeff
ParkJeff is offline Find More Posts by ParkJeff
Old Jun 29, 2003, 09:28 AM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,131 Posts
Mustang...

I have 2.

Flys just perfect, dead stock.

I also built one without gear and rudder, and timed the motor. Flys about the same.

Like all warbirds, its cg sensitive. Get it right, and its a super easy flyer. Get it wrong and you might not survive the landings to get it right!

Make absoloutely certain that your control throws are per directions... get this wrong and you'll regret it! After you get some flight time, you can increase deflection for some truly fast rolls, loops etc..

Like a true idiot, for my first flights I just fingertip balance it and toss it in the air. If off, I adjust the battery postion and try again. This does not always have happy results
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
Old Jun 29, 2003, 10:33 AM
Clueless, but trying
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
Thanks!

I've read the posts before, and have heard/seen all sides of the P51 comments. I guess sometimes you just like to re-ask the questions to get a fresh consideration. Thank you for indulging me

I'll begin tonight. I want to start out stock (sedate sounds good to me) but will go to an e-tech lipo eventually. From there I'll also add a MPJet 2525 from Splash at e-flightline.com.

Here's the list of "Upgrade Strategies" for my build:

* Starting out stock with the following adds/changes
- Rubber band and dowel connection for wing
- Dubro control quick links
- Velcro hatch and battery
- CA hinges (EDIT - I used GWS hinges and they're fine)
- No rudder
- No landing gear
- Packing tape on belly and leading edge
- Hitec 555 and HS 55's
- 8 cell 730mah 9.6 pack (EDIT - I went straight to Lipo)
- Build or buy a CG machine
* Will next upgrade to Lipo
* Will then take it up to the MPJet

Quick question, should I hollow out the battery bay for the lipo's now? If so, how much to cut out and where? Anyone have a pic?

The build is half the fun!
Greg
Last edited by Orcoz; Aug 08, 2003 at 12:24 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 10:58 AM
Uh Oh Jungo
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2003
784 Posts
Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Thank you for indulging me
No problem. That's why we're all here.
Quote:
Quick question, should I hollow out the battery bay for the lipo's now? If so, how much to cut out and where? Anyone have a pic?
Yes it's easier to hollow out batt bay before you glue the fuse halves together. I took out enough for 2/3A cells but found that they were too heavy for my tastes.
Didn't take a pic of mine but have a look at this link which has some photos and was helpful to me. It isn't for Li-Po but gives you an idea of where to cut. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=92392

Let us know how you go.

Jeff
Old Jun 29, 2003, 12:02 PM
Tulsa, Ok
Joined Feb 2003
9 Posts
Another observation....be SURE your battery pack is secure (I use velcro), especially if you hand launch. This happened to me on second flight. Launched with a healthy toss, it was porpoising wildly and super touchy on the elevator...barely got it back down in one piece. The battery pack had shifted all the way back, up against the reciever! Also, I think the stock aileron throw is WAY too much for first flights, 50% seemed much better, but maybe its just my skill level. Have Fun.....Dave in Tulsa
David Sybenga is offline Find More Posts by David Sybenga
Old Jun 29, 2003, 01:39 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined May 2002
911 Posts
Rubber bands?

Why are you guys using rubberbands?
What's wrong with the standard mount?
DesertRC is offline Find More Posts by DesertRC
Old Jun 29, 2003, 02:04 PM
Joined Feb 2003
61 Posts
I am still using the standard mounts but rubber bands allow the wing to move on a "cartwheel" landing and it usually results in no damage. The stock P-51wing tears away from the fuse at the bolt mounting point and can break the fuse at the same time.
jpmoffatt is offline Find More Posts by jpmoffatt
Old Jun 29, 2003, 09:35 PM
Clueless, but trying
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
jpmoffatt has got it right, from reading through the early posts of Guapoman and his "GWS P51 Mustang "Sue"' thread, belly landing is hard on the bolt.

Another question... if I build a balancing machine (parallel wood dowels on a block) how do you go about balancing for lateral?
ParkJeff.... thoughts?
Old Jun 30, 2003, 01:19 AM
Uh Oh Jungo
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2003
784 Posts
Quote:
how do you go about balancing for lateral?
Hi,

Some good ideas in this thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ateral+balance

Hope it's helpful. Personally I do it on my fingertips although I wouldn't suggest it.

Jeff
Old Aug 07, 2003, 06:13 PM
Clueless, but trying
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
My Maiden was a SUCCESS!!

Ok,
I am a really s l o w builder (work kindof got in the way too) but I finished the plane last weekend and then stared at it all week wondering if I really wanted to wreck something that I've spent so much time thinking/working on.

Well, its amazing what a really crappy day at the office will make you do! I came home charged the battery (went with the 2S etec) and off to the field.

I got there at about 8:30pm and there was zero wind... nobody around at all (perfect). My heart felt like it was going to pound right out of my chest as I powered up and gave it a toss. It simply flew out level and then on step rose gradually. I'm still a chicken*hit, so I just flew right hand ovals for about 6 minutes and brought her down. Landing was perfect too! Then I ran around in circles, by myself, doing the "raise the roof" motions with my hands. As my 6 yr old daughter would say..."dork".

I can't tell you all how thrilled I am. 2+ years in this hobby soley because of a desire to fly a WWII warbird and last night that dream came true.

Can't wait to go again tonight
Old Aug 07, 2003, 06:27 PM
GBZealous
Western Mass
Joined Jul 2002
409 Posts
Congradulations Orcoz!!..all the preflight preparation payed off!!!
Morphisnb is offline Find More Posts by Morphisnb
Old Aug 07, 2003, 06:29 PM
Crash Now, Ask Me How!
Austin, Tx.
Joined Jun 2003
111 Posts
Oh boy...we better not tell him about the Corsair, ME-109, Spitfire, and the plethora of non-GWS ww2 birds available. If Orcoz did all that for a successful P-51 maiden, someone needs to get to his field and set up a webcam for his next successful build.
Tuffbird72 is offline Find More Posts by Tuffbird72