SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:06 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
I broke mine. Full speed backwards into the grass.

I bought about 4ft of 2.5mm solid CF and made a bunch of spares!
Yeah thats what I plan to do as well, no sense in paying $7 for just one boom

I decided I dont like the kbdd tail rotor outside...

mcpx bl (3 min 41 sec)
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:29 PM
United States, MI, Grosse Ile Township
Joined Feb 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xartzmax View Post
Hi everyone. First post here

My first heli is Syma S107C. (like Mattrc and Windy Miller) I'm perfectly comfortable with it and now feel the need for a more powerful and responsive CP heli. Been looking for an upgrade. Thinking of two things. Blade mCPX v2 or mCPX BL with DX6i (<-will that radio give the maximum of those helis? or do I need DX8?)

Can you help me with the choice here. Most important question for me is which is the latest? BL or the V2? mCPX v2 is cheaper but seeing the power of BL it's hard to resist. How do the flight times stack up? Seeing the videos I think mCPX v2 has little more edge here. My intention is to keep it for a long time. If there is a difference at all, which would be more durable? Could it be the smaller mCPX v2? Is the brushless motor really a big difference and worth the money? And finally which has the fewest problems that require fixing, right out of the box?

Sorry for hijacking the thread, wanted to know your experience, specially seeing Matt and Windy has similar SYMA S107 experience like me

Thanks in advance
From the little time I've flown my mcpx bl indoors it has been very tough to fly since the only other heli I've flown is the syma. If you really want a cp heli I would go with the mcpx bl but put it on beginner settings and fly it in a BIG area so there's nothing to crash into. I'm going to fly mine when there is a nice day on beginner settings and il tell you how it flies. (By the way I have a dx6i and it works perfect for the mcpx bl)
mattrc is offline Find More Posts by mattrc
Last edited by mattrc; Feb 28, 2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:51 PM
Joined Apr 2012
96 Posts
MCPX BL Tail Fin on a MCPX?

Hey guys, little question. I've had a MCPX for about a year. I ordered a tail fin, I liked the yellow, and its a MCPX BL fin. I figured it would go right on but I forgot for a half of a second that this is the world of RC HELIS!! It seems like the tail fin wants to go on a bigger/thicker tail shaft. My MCPX is original stock.

So is the tail boom on the brushless thicker? Than the original MCPX?

Paul
PCaola is offline Find More Posts by PCaola
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:00 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Nvm
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:31 PM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
Thanks a lot Jboy90277 and Matt

So basically if I setup the radio with beginner settings I will be OK until I get used to it right? Is there a big difference in maneuverability between mCPX v2 and MCPX BL? Even if there is, can it be compensated via the radio?

Waiting impatiently to see your results with rapid transformation from S107 to mCPX BL Did you find it hard to fly indoors with recommended settings or Beginner settings?
xartzmax is offline Find More Posts by xartzmax
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:45 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xartzmax View Post
Thanks a lot Jboy90277 and Matt

So basically if I setup the radio with beginner settings I will be OK until I get used to it right? Is there a big difference in maneuverability between mCPX v2 and MCPX BL? Even if there is, can it be compensated via the radio?

Waiting impatiently to see your results with rapid transformation from S107 to mCPX BL Did you find it hard to fly indoors with recommended settings or Beginner settings?
going from a 3 channel to a CP heli will be fine as long as you don't plan on flying it in a small area and have good patience.

I would suggest flying over grass until you get really comfortable with the new controls and throttle hold.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:25 PM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
Thanks indoorheli I have both patience and a big front yard What is your recommendation about the choice of the radio? minimum for mCPX BL is 6 channels right? What am I going to lose if I get DX6i instead of DX8? DX8 offers more mixing than DX6? What more advanced features does it offer? And for that matter what about DX7? Sorry I'm a noob about advanced radios.
xartzmax is offline Find More Posts by xartzmax
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:35 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Either one would be a good radio and both will get you in the air nicely. But if you plan to be in the hobby for a while I would suggest buying the best radio you can. You might not need all features now or later, but it is nice to use them if you ever want to.

Anyhow the most noticeable differences to you and a bnf cp would be that the dx8 has back lighting, throttle activated timer, 3 positions switches, software up-gradable, more model memory, and downloadable settings from other dx8 owners. It also has better gimbals but you might not notice how smooth they are if you dont try a dx6i

As you advance with your flying the dx8 has even more upgrades in the dx8 over the dx6i that you can benefit from
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2013, 03:41 AM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
I am surprised I haven't broken my stock boom yet. Though it shouldn't be long now.....
I just put a new one on and it lasted 2 flights. My heli has decided to be a complete pain in the and have a mind of its own and plow itself into the ground whenever it feels like it.. I think I'm on boom 3. I just made a solid one.

By the way I've found 2 new "glue" type things that Ive found to be super useful.

ShoeGoo and Liquid electrical tape. The liquid electrical tape is almost exactly the same thing that blade is using on the tail servo connectors. I just coated my solid boom with it over the tail motor wires it dries and becomes black rubber.

ShoeGoo works good for holding things in place like hot glue does so you can remove it later but i've used it to fix audio cables and all kinds of stuff. Its like rubber cement but dries harder but still flexible.
sideburn is online now Find More Posts by sideburn
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:21 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,751 Posts
Tail wag question

So, it's been interesting to see that some of these seem to have tail wag out of the box, and some don't. I've been lucky not to have a bad case of it (though every once in a while I'll see it). Is it possible that variances in the pitch of the tail rotor are to blame? I know that these can flatten out over time or after crashes, and I noticed that I seemed to get better tail hold when I increased the pitch of mine by bending it a bit.

Also, I read on the blog posted a few posts above that the main shaft was bent out of the box. Wondering if this could also be the cause.

Just random speculation as I await my parts. Miss flying this thing
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:38 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Yeah thats what I plan to do as well, no sense in paying $7 for just one boom

I decided I dont like the kbdd tail rotor outside...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxLf8...BbQ_Yw&index=1
VERY nice flying, by the way! Man, what a pleasure to watch. Smooth, controled movements, not so fast that it looks random. I can only hope that one day I can get my flips to look like that!

In the first few flips, are you pumping the collective first before you begin the rotation? I think I'm still reacting to the "drop" - i.e.:
1) start from level,
2) apply hard elevator,
3) begin applying negative pitch at roughly the halfway point of rotation,
4) hold negative pitch to maintain inverted hover,
5) repeat the process in reverse . . . .

Oh, wait, that's what I INTEND to do. In reality, it is something more like:

1) Try to maintain level flight
2) Eventually give up and settle for "somewhat stable" flight,
3) Take deep breath
4) Think about how much this is about to cost me
5) Rationalize the expense away
6) Apply hard elevator
7) Realize the heli is moving faster than I can think
8) Panic
9) Duck as the whirling Ghinsu blades make a bee-line towards my face
10) Lose sight of the helicopter
11) Apply full negative collective pitch and think "Use the force, Luke"
12) Random things begin happening at that point. But sometimes it actually hovers upside down and I smile smuggly and decide to tempt fate again with another attempt. Sometimes things don't go well. In either case, I inevitably end up at:
13) Drag my defeated, humiliated, frustrated self inside, show my wife the remains of my helicopter with the vain hopes that she will be sympathetic, but instead attempt to explain where the money for the repairs will come from.
14) Wait a few days until she forgets about it, sneak onto the computer or into the LHS, put minimum number of parts into my shopping cart to get flying again, begin to check out, stop checking out, add more, less necessary parts to my shopping cart, check out. Avoid wife for several weeks, since she is no longer speaking to me.
15) Rinse and repeat.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:06 AM
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
So... I ended up destroying the stock tail boom on my first flight.

I bought a replacement boom from my LHS but am having trouble securing it to the frame. It keeps sliding out. Any advice? I know better than to glue it in...
erdmanbr is offline Find More Posts by erdmanbr
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:30 AM
Electric, lightweight so
Joined Oct 2004
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdmanbr View Post
So... I ended up destroying the stock tail boom on my first flight.

I bought a replacement boom from my LHS but am having trouble securing it to the frame. It keeps sliding out. Any advice? I know better than to glue it in...
Ouch, indoors on a hard floor??
Windy Miller is offline Find More Posts by Windy Miller
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:40 AM
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Miller View Post
Ouch, indoors on a hard floor??
Indoors off the side of a hard table. Completely my fault. I knew I was in trouble but was slow getting to the throttle hold. I was lucky that I only had to shell out for a boom. The main gear, lower shaft bearing and head linkage all went flying. I never did find the two buckles. It took me a few minutes to find the bearing -- no worse for wear. I can vouch for this bird's durability... nothing important broke or bent.

erdmanbr is offline Find More Posts by erdmanbr
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:24 AM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Oh, wait, that's what I INTEND to do. In reality, it is something more like: ...
Thanks for the laugh, whichway. So true.

As an aside, I hope you're wearing eye protection when throwing the Ghinsu around. I always do now after reading this :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1824683
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy