SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:58 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,298 Posts
Can we get a ball park eta on the Pro? I believe it will be able to everything the Naza can do for Multicopters, is that true? Will there be code for tricopters? Naza is missing that.
Will it accept a GPS input?
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:35 PM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Can we get a ball park eta on the Pro? I believe it will be able to everything the Naza can do for Multicopters, is that true? Will there be code for tricopters? Naza is missing that.
Will it accept a GPS input?
Yes we plan for it to be a 'must have' product for people needing hands free fixed wing aircraft operation at a good price. ie suitable for aerial photography and other such applications. Yes we will have GPS input (also airspeed). We are also developing another GPS product which I'll talk about more later on. For tri-copter we are testing the tri-copter with our BL-3GRC Gyro right now, so we do plan to support this.

Mark
IceManPro is offline Find More Posts by IceManPro
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:27 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManPro View Post
Yes we plan for it to be a 'must have' product for people needing hands free fixed wing aircraft operation at a good price. ie suitable for aerial photography and other such applications. Yes we will have GPS input (also airspeed). We are also developing another GPS product which I'll talk about more later on. For tri-copter we are testing the tri-copter with our BL-3GRC Gyro right now, so we do plan to support this.

Mark
And how about a ballpark eta on the pro? This year? 1Q13?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:13 AM
Chesapeake, Va
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
BL-3G Iceman

Hey everybody,

I ordered my Iceman last Wednesday. It arrived Saturday talk about service. That was fast!
I am impressed with it so far Side by Side comparison.

The Guardian: (recieved quiet fast also)
It came in a hook hanger plastic package, the unit is in a flimsy not even square plastic cover, with instructions from an inkjet printer, and it cost $79 dollars. Which is not bad if it keeps the cost down on the unit. But it just appears cheaper made, and no USB cable.

The Iceman:
It came in a neatly packaged box with a "Quick Start Guide" poster. The manual is well thought out and organized, and a mini disk with the latest software package. The Iceman it self is in a hard plastic box that is square all around with concise labeling on the out side of it. It comes with all of the cables to include the USB cable. Most of all I love the price $59 and would be willing to forgo the book and the mini-CD to keep the price as it is. I liked it! A lot! Especially the Iceman itself and the Quick Start Guide! But I have not compared them both side by side in setup and operation.

I could loose the manual and the CD and get it off of the website. These are nice to have items. If it keeps the overhead and price down, I would ditch the manual and the CD.

I will try to compare the two in a side by side setup and operational comparison by this weekend. Stay Tuned!
RotorHeadH53 is offline Find More Posts by RotorHeadH53
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:34 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,298 Posts
They are not comparable units. The Iceman doesn't have inertial sensors and can not maintain a heading, or know its position in space. It is just a 3 axis gyro with excellent software and flexibility. The Pro version will be able to do everything the guardian can do, plus much more, at a much higher price. As far as sensors go, the Iceman is more comparable to the $38 Eagle A3 Pro. However it has far superior software and support which easily make it worth the extra $20.

Is my understanding correct here? Please correct me if I misstated, but this is an apples and oranges comparison, except for the packaging critique.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:45 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,594 Posts
That is correct.

They are both excellent products but they are different. The Blue Light is a very professionally designed, manufactured and presented 3 axis rate gyro but it does not have the auto levelling capacity of the Guardian. It has astounding configuration flexibilty and software support though.

I have both and like them both.

Neither are in the same class as the cheap 3 axis gyros - particularly the primitive HK Orange one. But hey they aren't as cheap either!

There's something for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
They are not comparable units. The Iceman doesn't have inertial sensors and can not maintain a heading, or know its position in space. It is just a 3 axis gyro with excellent software and flexibility. The Pro version will be able to do everything the guardian can do, plus much more, at a much higher price. As far as sensors go, the Iceman is more comparable to the $38 Eagle A3 Pro. However it has far superior software and support which easily make it worth the extra $20.

Is my understanding correct here? Please correct me if I misstated, but this is an apples and oranges comparison, except for the packaging critique.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:49 PM
Chesapeake, Va
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Well I believe those are things to compare. They are both still stablizers right? Its not like comparing an engine to a transmitter, but more like comparing Cannon and a Nikon camera. The type they are and their options may be different. Its like comparing an F-14 Tomcat to an F/A-18 Hornet. One is an apple and one is an orange. The F-14 is large and can carry Phoenix missle system, more ordanance, and has swept wing system. It is older and not as technologically sophisticated to the F/A-18, but in a dog fight I would not just give it to the F/A-18. But since you have issues with apples and oranges I will cease my comparison in this forum. Thank you sir for your input.
RotorHeadH53 is offline Find More Posts by RotorHeadH53
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:56 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHeadH53 View Post
Well I believe those are things to compare. They are both still stablizers right? Its not like comparing an engine to a transmitter, but more like comparing Cannon and a Nikon camera. The type they are and their options may be different. Its like comparing an F-14 Tomcat to an F/A-18 Hornet. One is an apple and one is an orange. The F-14 is large and can carry Phoenix missle system, more ordanance, and has swept wing system. It is older and not as technologically sophisticated to the F/A-18, but in a dog fight I would not just give it to the F/A-18. But since you have issues with apples and oranges I will cease my comparison in this forum. Thank you sir for your input.
No offense sir. My post was to gain clarity for myself, as well as for others who may not understand the distinction.
We welcome any observations you have about the Blue Light, and how it contrasts with the Guardian, within the context of their purposes.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:29 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jan 2006
933 Posts
Hey "ICE MAN" Mark,

You have most of us Multi-rotor Guys hooked already so..............come on,
we are all Pals here and how about just giving us a target introduction date
for the ICE MAN PRO???????????? To make it easier for you, just fill in
the date below;

"THE ICE MAN PRO should be available for sale on_____________. We will
continue to give you updates of our progress."
Papajeff is offline Find More Posts by Papajeff
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:36 PM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
That's what I'm talking about
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:10 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajeff View Post
Hey "ICE MAN" Mark,

You have most of us Multi-rotor Guys hooked already so..............come on,
we are all Pals here and how about just giving us a target introduction date
for the ICE MAN PRO???????????? To make it easier for you, just fill in
the date below;

"THE ICE MAN PRO should be available for sale on_____________. We will
continue to give you updates of our progress."
Hi PapaJeff, Still working out the details, sorry can't give any precise details just yet..
Mark
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:19 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpalms View Post
I've not had too much time play with mine but seems pretty good so far.

Using input 6 I can turn gyro on/off but using input 7 does nothing; it stays on regardless.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Sorry to get back to you so late on this. We're aware of an issue with the gryo on/off function on input 7. In fact there is also a related issue with gyro on /off on the V2.2 s/w when selecting the up-side-down mounting option. We will fix this soon..

Mark
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:25 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jan 2006
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManPro View Post
Hi PapaJeff, Still working out the details, sorry can't give any precise details just yet..
Mark
Mark, well I gave my best shot! LOL
Hey, you can't blame an old man for trying!
Papajeff is offline Find More Posts by Papajeff
Last edited by Papajeff; Nov 02, 2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:38 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
I had channel 7 working eventually by some random quirk. Not sure I did anything different. Glad it is a bug and not a faulty unit.

I flew with the unit fitted for the first time yesterday with a bit of a breeze. Fitted to a Multiplex Easystar II which is very sluggish; makes a good trainer though. I can hear the servos chattering but couldn't see/feel any difference in flight.

I used 'gyro exact gain' and have some questions/suggestions for improvements.

Manual for v2.2 gives some scalings; are they wrong as they don't make sense whereas they did in the printed v1.17 manual.

There is no calibration for these real time channel inputs. I'm I right in assuming when you say 0% to 100% that is 1000us to 2000us

It would be nice if we could select which axis we want to adjust rather than all of them. I would like to use this function to fine tune the gain for each axis in flight. I know I can turn axes off but I would like them running; just not able to adjust them. At present gains are adjusted for all three axes.

Am I correct in thinking that the manual gain adjust doesn't work when in the above mode. I.E. the PID gain of 11 in the scaling isn't adjusted via the pot.

It would be nice to know the gain I have settled on. I can read the current pulse width on my transmitter and use the scaling (hence the questions above) but would be nice if the software could tell me.

General question time:

In the signal outputs I have for example a PWM max width of 2000 and in PWM min width of 1000us. I have also set the Bias (us) for output 3 to +100. Am I right in thinking that the physical output is limited to 2000us not 2100us

Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:50 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
298 Posts
Hi Dave,

We changed the scalings for version 2.2, so the v2.2 manual is correct. You set up the value in the Adv2 page then read off the column in the data sheet. For example with a value of 1.0 set changing an RC Tx pot or stick from 0 to 100% will vary the gain smoothly from 3.10 to 14. The calibration is done in the Adv1 page if you match your Rc Tx to the gyro inputs. The default is Futaba 1520, so normally 0% is 1100us and 100% is 1940us. Regarding adjusting only one axis, yes maybe we should have this function enabled on a per axis basis. Will give it some thought.
When in the exact gain adjust mode is used you are correct, the scaling (and the pot) on the prof1 page is not used.
Regarding the PWM min width, the physical output is indeed limited by the values the s/w finds from the Adv1 page, or by default the Futaba values as indicated above.
I'm very surprised you found little difference flying with and without the gyro on.
Mark