SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:55 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,629 Posts
I don't think so. I'm sure this boat's gonna be as wet as the original and there's not a lot of room inside for the stuff required to make it work. I also think I'm gonna have my hands full sailing her.

I'll be looking into making at least some guns fire on Macedonian and if I can figure out a repeating system - one of Constellation's pivots.
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:41 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,629 Posts
A couple of weeks with a nasty chest cold and now prepping to move have cut into working on the model, but I did sneak some time into attaching fairleads for the bunts and leechlines on the square tops'l.

There weren't any reef points on the square when I was aboard, but the holes were there.
Last edited by JerryTodd; Jun 17, 2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:59 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,629 Posts
I'm moving. Moving 10 pounds of stuff into a 2 pound bag actually, and it's been a major pain in the, well, you know which part.

The models are in their new location, and if I can get my shop moved, I can do something to them.
Last edited by JerryTodd; Jun 17, 2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old May 27, 2014, 01:09 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,629 Posts
Jib sheeting

This one is going to St Michael's with me to be displayed at the Maritime Museum's model expo. I don't have her ballast mounted on her fin, or a steering system set up as yet, so she'll just sit and look pretty.

On another note: Back in #207 I was looking at an idea for handling the sheets on the over-lapping sails. DanL, somewhere, suggested turning the servo around (I think, it sounds like something Dan would suggest). Well, I finally got to taking that suggestion and preliminary tests look very very promising.

In the attached drawing the sail-arm servo happens to be mounted with a 2.5" arm with two "slave arms" of 4.5" length on either side. When the arm is rotated to it's 90 limit on one side, pushing the slave arm with the sheet attached outward, it nets, in this case, about 5.25" of sheet pulled in, potentially doubled to 10.5"
Mean while, the opposite sheet is completely slack - which is what I'm after.
The sheet relies on the wind to pull it out when the arms are slack/centered, but that shouldn't be an issue.
Multiple mounting holes at the ends of the slave arms will allow more than one sail, with different sheet length requirements, to be controlled from the same arm. Of course, the length and pivot points of all three arms need to be adjusted to get the most from the set-up as well as fitting in the hull. This example would be about 9" wide with both arms spread, well within the 12" in Constellation or the 10" in Pride.
I could even add a non-overlapping sail, like Constellation's spanker, to the servo arm itself.

I'm hoping this will solve the plethora of overlapping sails on Pride and even Constellation, it sure looks like it might.
Last edited by JerryTodd; Jun 02, 2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: added more related info
Old Jun 02, 2014, 11:35 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,629 Posts
Tried the system out in Constellation and it appeared to function as hoped. A spring or bungee to return the arms to center would be nice, as the wind isn't always enough to haul out the slack sheet. A cleat mounted on the arms near their pivot points would make adjusting the sheets' length much easier too.
Old Jun 03, 2014, 09:07 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,408 Posts
Neat design, well done Dan and Jerry.

You might think about a fairlead to keep the line away from the servo arm's brass post. I could envision slack (due to seas or slatting sails), flipping a line over the brass post.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Jun 03, 2014, 09:28 AM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,629 Posts
There's a few refinements to be made. in Pride I'm thinking the whole arrangement may be installed sideways from the above example to make access easier.
Old Jun 05, 2014, 10:05 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,629 Posts
I posted pics of the Expo in St Michael's in Dock Talk
Old Sep 27, 2014, 02:51 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,629 Posts
I drew up a set of flags in 1:20 scale for Pride after doing up a set for Constellation
Name: Pride_flags.jpg
Views: 11
Size: 169.9 KB
Description: