SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:59 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
that happened to me in 2004. with my first glider at the local site. flew my middle phase in very strong winds. couldnt get it down, everyone laughed as i noticed a blizzard rolling in. half way through the sudden snow fall i managed a "arrival", ran and hid in some bushes till the storm blew itself out. 15 mins later the air was dead and the hill was covered in 3 inches of snow!
I think they laughed the most as they were calling out the final minutes threatening if I had kept them out there for a failure there would be no relenting. I did make it and we all laugh when it gets brought up
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Off to HHAEFI we go!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:15 PM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
I think they laughed the most as they were calling out the final minutes threatening if I had kept them out there for a failure there would be no relenting. I did make it and we all laugh when it gets brought up
times like these that make flying real fun! lol
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:45 PM
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Sep 2012
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchitagain View Post
Hmmm, interesting, but what did you have to modify on the RP ?
I had to flip the mounting horn and make the slot in the rudder a little bigger so that it would slide in and not bind up. Pretty easy nothing crazy ha ha
muhkaydenz is offline Find More Posts by muhkaydenz
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:41 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
It's been awhile since I've posted a video but here's my flight I had with her on Monday, 1st time with my Contour Roam on the RP. She sure was heavy, but it was a fun flight!

1st Flight of my Radiain Pro with a Contour Camera (5 min 8 sec)
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:38 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,067 Posts
That was a good video rcoconut. Your flying was steady and smooth, and I liked the narrower field of view the Contour has as compared to the GoPro. That narrower field of view makes everything look more real and the horizon is not so curved.

An aileron to rudder mix is great for general flying, but for shooting video, you might find it fun to experiment with turning it off and using aileron with opposite rudder in the turns. That way you can do flat turns and keep the horizon level in the video. I've contemplated using an aileron-to-opposite-rudder mix to do that job but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Nice video.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:15 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
hi guys.

weather has been really bad here on the south coast of england, today has been the first good day for flying the radian pro.

so i left the girlfriend at home for an hour while i went flying just for a bit till i got too cold.
i got to the beach and stepped out of the car, brrrrrrrrrr, it was still cold.

pulled the plane out of the car and rigged up slightly exited to get flying.

once all sorted i launched into the steady breeze and flew a few laps of the feild, slightly showing off for a family that stopped to watch when something caught my eye.....

i dont know how i missed it before, maybe it just never occured to me while flying rc, which is weird because i do it all the time in the full size gliders.

as i looked to my left, into the wind, there were several seagulls soaring in the breeze and marginal lift on the seafront.
well i didnt think it would be strong enough as the slope of the shingle beach is very shallow but i had to give it a go.

power on and into the wind i flew and as i joined the gulls i cut the power, flicked the camber and hovered there for an hour powerless amongst the birds.

reminded me what its all about and how much i missed it after flying a stryker all this time. i knew i was getting bored of the stryker, but never thought it worth buying a powered glider.

im so glad i did. from now on ill be looking for every possible sources of lift i can find.
love the challenge.
Haven't flown mine yet. Picked up a NIB PNP at an auction for $100! What radio are you using. I have a Spektrum DX7s and wondered if you had any tips on a full house set up? Thanks.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:19 AM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Haven't flown mine yet. Picked up a NIB PNP at an auction for $100! What radio are you using. I have a Spektrum DX7s and wondered if you had any tips on a full house set up? Thanks.
i uploaded lizardmans dx8 setup from a link someone gave me in the last page. i believe he has a dx7 setup too.
then i programed in some flight modes myself.
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:56 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
That was a good video rcoconut. Your flying was steady and smooth, and I liked the narrower field of view the Contour has as compared to the GoPro. That narrower field of view makes everything look more real and the horizon is not so curved.
Ditto! Kudos to the GoPro design team and to their marketing people the GoPro seems to be the "gotta have" camera these days. It is a pleasure to see good video without exaggerated fishbowl distortion and tiny subject detail.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:52 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
Quote:

An aileron to rudder mix is great for general flying, but for shooting video, you might find it fun to experiment with turning it off and using aileron with opposite rudder in the turns. That way you can do flat turns and keep the horizon level in the video. I've contemplated using an aileron-to-opposite-rudder mix to do that job but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Nice video.
Thanks Jovan! I'm hoping the GoPro will look good since you have the option to change the field of view from Wide to Narrow. Hopefully it's narrow enough?!? We'll see though, just need to do the GoPro mount on the RP. And opposite RUDD with AIL, never thought of that one!! Will give it a try, I felt having the "normal" mix was great! Coordinated turns up at altitude really helped me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Ditto! Kudos to the GoPro design team and to their marketing people the GoPro seems to be the "gotta have" camera these days. It is a pleasure to see good video without exaggerated fishbowl distortion and tiny subject detail.
LOL, there are times I personally like the "fishbowl" effect, but it's not for me. I really do like the ease of use & the ability to change settings on the fly with the GoPro, but I have yet to get some r/c video! Thanks again though!! I wanted to video a loop so bad but like I stated in earlier posts, my wings were flapping like crazy, I was too scared to try it out, LOL
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:03 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Rcoconut,

Great video & nice flying! I also prefer the narrower FOV. What's the weight of that cam? Regarding the narrow FOV setting on the GoPro - it simply crops the image, so you lose resolution & there is less light available. It will be interesting to see how the video quality compares to the Contour.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 27, 2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:36 PM
United States, FL, Shalimar
Joined Jan 2009
310 Posts
Here's a pic of my Radian Pro "XL". She has a 111" wing span with 5'x 10mm carbon spar. Have the Super tuned up with crow, slider flaps, reflex, camber.

Just got done with the maiden flight....all I can say.....she's a keeper.

Rich
jolly01 is offline Find More Posts by jolly01
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:16 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Rcoconut,

Great video & nice flying! I also prefer the narrower FOV. What's the weight of that cam? Regarding the narrow FOV setting on the GoPro - it simply crops the image, so you lose resolution & there is less light available. It will be interesting to see how the video quality compares to the Contour.

Joel
Thanks Joel, per a YouTube vid I watched regarding the weight of the GoPro3, she comes in at 50g/1.7oz WITHOUT the case; the Contour Roam HD camera is 144g/5.0oz

When I do go with the GoPro I'll be using the Skeleton Housing for mounting purposes so just a few more total ounces to her but it sure wont equate to the weight of the Contour Roam!!!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:28 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Thanks Joel, per a YouTube vid I watched regarding the weight of the GoPro3, she comes in at 50g/1.7oz WITHOUT the case; the Contour Roam HD camera is 144g/5.0oz

When I do go with the GoPro I'll be using the Skeleton Housing for mounting purposes so just a few more total ounces to her but it sure wont equate to the weight of the Contour Roam!!!
My experience has shown that drag kills this plane more than weight does. 400 grams added to the wing spar makes it slower to gain altitude, but it still glides beautifully because there is no increase in drag. A 180 gram point-and-shoot camera facing forward adds a lot of drag and seriously cuts into the sink rate and the climb rate. If you point that camera sideways, thereby reducing drag, the plane flies much better.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:36 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,791 Posts
Quote:
My experience has shown that drag kills this plane more than weight does. 400 grams added to the wing spar makes it slower to gain altitude, but it still glides beautifully because there is no increase in drag. A 180 gram point-and-shoot camera facing forward adds a lot of drag and seriously cuts into the sink rate and the climb rate. If you point that camera sideways, thereby reducing drag, the plane flies much better.
as for pointing the camera sidways.........
Did that , this morning with my Action Shot camera by modifying the helmet attachment with a velcro around the fuselage and pointed the camera along the wing line
Here is the video

aerial video San Mateo Bridge mashland 01 27 2103 (10 min 18 sec)

worked geat no drag at all, she gained altitude no problem just like the camera was not even there
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:02 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Nice, i like watching the control surfaces in flight, how are ypu guys mounting your gopro to the top for front video? Just got my new fuse and got it all back together n trimmed, i figured ive had my gopros on everything else i fly why not this lol
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000