SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:45 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,911 Posts
good move, brady... if you started with just the Scout you'd probably end up with the others anyway . You'll probably get an mcx2 too

I see mention in the reviews of all the adapters people say it comes with but I can't really tell from the pics if there's anything there to connect your 1S Champ and Scout lipos... or your Super Cub EC3. When I bought my Thunder Power charger (not the pocket charger we talked about) I bought an octopus for it from my LHS like this...
http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...d_id=TGHXCHG18

It has everything you'd ever need including the EC3 connector for Super Cub batteries and even the 1S ultra micro connector for the Champ and Scout batteries... but you know I recently bought a parallel adapter for those that hooks up directly to the charger's banana plugs (where an octopus goes) and does 6 at once. I'll be using Deans in my SC... my octopus has that too.

I wish it was more clear what adapters it comes with. In the pictures I see a balance board but not the adapters/connectors I mentioned you'll need.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Jan 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:49 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,911 Posts
By the way, I have a DX4e... it's full range and yes it will work with your Champ.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyZone Sport Cub S BNF
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:56 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
450 Posts
north of 49 you recommended that charger to me. the one you have, the ac680
bradymartin is online now Find More Posts by bradymartin
Last edited by bradymartin; Jan 24, 2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:44 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,911 Posts
brady, I just saw in my email what your deleted post said ...

yes, I said alot of guys here on the various threads own and highly recommend it.. I didn't say I owned that one myself. But I did plan to buy one as a backup to the one that I do own... especially at its great price, the one I own is 3x the price so I didn't recommend it. My buddy has the AC-6. The only reason I haven't bought it is I have a beef with hobbypartz that only affects non U.S. customers so I won't be shopping there anymore. I found out about it when I, in fact, did go to the site one day to buy the AC680 and some other stuff... but that's just me and that's a whole other story. But I'm aware that it's the most recomended entry level computerized charger I've come across in the threads I frequent... which is why I passed on the recommendation to you.

Yes, I did buy the Hyperion adapter which is why I just mentioned it again... that is even better than having a single ultra micro adapter on an octopus... either way, you're covered.

As for the AC680 and adapters... I know it sounds odd, but most chargers don't actually come with the adapters (they usually do come with the balance board though). Some don't even come with a power supply... the AC680 does have built in AC though and can also be powered from a DC source. This type of charger usually comes with blank ends for your own connector of choice.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Jan 24, 2013 at 02:56 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:25 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,482 Posts
@Brady, It would be wise to pick up a balance plug so you can balance charge your batts. I have one of these and also a split (2X) so I can balance charge "in parallel" 2 batts at once of this cable below.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...6AWG_30cm.html

I looked for that (2X) that comes off the main EC3 balance plug.

OK, I found it.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Parallel.html

Are you familiar with parallel charging?

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Last edited by Chap1012; Jan 24, 2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: found it
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:58 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Crasher View Post
3536 1100kv brushless. Moiunted a 9" x 7.5" prop.
BC
I cant remember the exact specs. But 9" diameter seems really small for that motor. Do you want top speed or tons of thrust?
The 3536 1100kv is more a torque monster than a high speed rev motor. The 11 or 12" prop might match it better.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:01 PM
Joined Jan 2013
450 Posts
i dont have much experience in rc. looks like i have a lot to learn
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:16 PM
Joined Jan 2013
450 Posts
just received the plane from ups. i was wondering why not just use the stock charger that came with the plane instead of spending another $70 or so on the ac680 plus connector plugs adapters etc.? it says its a balancing charger

this lipo battery charging deal is adding a whole other dimension and is starting to turn me off of rc. i did not know it would be so complicated and looks to be a steep learning curve. i just want to fly a rc plane lol
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:30 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,551 Posts
You can use the supplied charger. It's slow but it works.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:58 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
No need to trip amigo. I know what you mean how it seems overwhelming at first. One question leads to more and more questions.

Rock the stock charger till you get sick of waiting for batteries to charge. Most important thing is make sure the plane balances at 2 1/4 inches behind the front of the main wing. Dont get discouraged with crashes. For the first flight its tough because the plane is not perfectly trimmed yet. Try to eyeball the rudder straight. For the elevator have it slightly pointing up. Say like 1mm higher than the rest of the horizontal stabilizer. That way on your first flight you can expect the plane to climb slightly. After you takeoff try to get the plane high in the air at about mid throttle. Let go of the right stick and watch what the plane does. Trim accordingly to make it fly straight and level. Once the plane is trimmed if you give the throttle full blast the plane will climb. If you reduce throttle the plane will nose down.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:58 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
just received the plane from ups. i was wondering why not just use the stock charger that came with the plane instead of spending another $70 or so on the ac680 plus connector plugs adapters etc.? it says its a balancing charger

this lipo battery charging deal is adding a whole other dimension and is starting to turn me off of rc. i did not know it would be so complicated and looks to be a steep learning curve. i just want to fly a rc plane lol
Guys who are going to stay in the hobby like to know certain information about their batteries to maintain them properly so they last. I don't lose sleep over my cheap sub $5 or $6 lipos... once you get into the larger ones like the ones in the SC they become expensive to replace. One of the top reasons to use a "smart" charger is that it will tell you how much juice (in mah) it put back into your battery... you use that info to make sure you are not discharging them past 80% capacity or they will be ruined over time... You do some test flights, gradually increasing your flight time and use the charger's info to figure out how long to time your flights so that you are practicing the 80% rule for lipo batteries. Once you have it figured out you don't need to keep doing this, but it's good to check it once in a while as your batteries age to see if you might want to adjust/reduce your timer..

If you consistently rely only on the LVC "safety" feature built into the planes and helis I know you have purchased, you WILL ruin your batteries. The factory LVC thresholds are set too low to keep batteries healthy.

That is just ONE of a smart charger's benefits. Another one is the likelihood that, as you grow in the hobby, you will likely need larger and more powerful batteries and a charger that can work with them. Once you get past the entry level Ready to Fly, Bind'n'Fly, Ready to Run etc. type vehicles, neither are likely to come with the vehicle. I was only a couple of months into the hobby before I needed a charger that could charge 2S 5000mah batteries. Once you have one with a good adapter array for it, it makes all your "dumb" chargers obsolete.

by the way, I pm'd you last night... don't know if you are set up for notification of that.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Jan 24, 2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:26 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Piece of wood and pencils to balance.[IMG][/IMG]
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:33 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post

i felt the same way when i started.....If i can offer a little advice and its cheep advise pick up one of these it will tell you all you need to know about your battery's and save you from discharging them to low....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8S-2in1-RC...item4ab9e2dbbf
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:09 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
i felt the same way when i started.....If i can offer a little advice and its cheep advise pick up one of these it will tell you all you need to know about your battery's and save you from discharging them to low....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8S-2in1-RC...item4ab9e2dbbf
Yea, I have a couple of those on the way and already have 2 of the non buzzer ones. Not sure how you plug a 1S to it though, without an adapter. My non-alarmed ones are only for 2S and up, but these alarmed ones say 1S?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyZone Sport Cub S BNF
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:14 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,308 Posts
i never fly with out one in fact i lost my last one and have been grounded till today got one in the mail and another on the way....
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919