SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Oct 2010
227 Posts
Help!
GPS blinking purple on startup! What to do? (Tried all tips)

Hi

I today installed my GPS for the first time (after waiting for a final, working firmware). Everything looks good now

So - followed all instructions as far as I understood

# Flashed both with newest FW (from yesterday)
#Calibrated HFP Acc, Temp (HFP was connected to USB, no GPS "mated").
# Mated HFP and GPS
# Connect HFP to USB and start Compass Cal - link to website
# okay, connect power - 4 beeps from HFP - purple blinking GPS!

tried variants: Connect GPS to USB, etc.
Tried both cables that came with the antenna - one makes the HFP not rec. the GPS (only 2 beeps) - the short one works, 4 beeps.!

I got it working one time, that the Setup Util. shows me the compass orientation at least when turning, but I am completely stuck getting away the purple light!

By the way. WHEN to connect the HFP and WHEN the GPS to USB? Cant find that anywhere!

EDIT: I now cant even get the setup util compass to turn, it says connected, but nothing happens! (Except Satellites going from 10 - to 0 and HDOP from 1.3 to 0 too - when connected)

When trying the calibration method (throttle up right) the HFP responses with red led, but afterwards nothing happens, even the seutp client doesnt tick a mark (any mark), only says connected top right, yellow letters.
ed.ge is offline Find More Posts by ed.ge
Last edited by ed.ge; Jul 11, 2012 at 02:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:04 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
Make sure your GPS (flat square antenna) is connected to the GS407 port on the HoverflyGPS. The Purple LED can be several things.

1. SD card not present
2. Not connected to the HoverflyPro
3. GPS not connected.

It's also possible that you just need to wait longer. It takes up to 10 seconds from the time the HoverflyPro starts until the time the HoverflyGPS stops flashing purple.

I would start with the setup client. This takes a while (10 seconds or more) to finish initializing after it says connected. If the GPS Connected box is never checked then your GPS is not connected properly.

Make sure you updated the HoverflyGPS with the same version firmware as the HoverflyPro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed.ge View Post
Hi

I today installed my GPS for the first time (after waiting for a final, working firmware). Everything looks good now

So - followed all instructions as far as I understood

# Flashed both with newest FW (from yesterday)
#Calibrated HFP Acc, Temp (HFP was connected to USB, no GPS "mated").
# Mated HFP and GPS
# Connect HFP to USB and start Compass Cal - link to website
# okay, connect power - 4 beeps from HFP - purple blinking GPS!

tried variants: Connect GPS to USB, etc.
Tried both cables that came with the antenna - one makes the HFP not rec. the GPS (only 2 beeps) - the short one works, 4 beeps.!

I got it working one time, that the Setup Util. shows me the compass orientation at least when turning, but I am completely stuck getting away the purple light!

By the way. WHEN to connect the HFP and WHEN the GPS to USB? Cant find that anywhere!

EDIT: I now cant even get the setup util compass to turn, it says connected, but nothing happens! (Except Satellites going from 10 - to 0 and HDOP from 1.3 to 0 too - when connected)

When trying the calibration method (throttle up right) the HFP responses with red led, but afterwards nothing happens, even the seutp client doesnt tick a mark (any mark), only says connected top right, yellow letters.
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:46 AM
Joined Oct 2010
227 Posts
Okay here is what I found out:

I need to use the 4 pin cable to get it recognized in the setup utility. (Found an article in your zendesk about a specific 2523 module ... )

And HERE is what sucks: With the 6pin cable setup doesnt work but HFP beeps 4 times. With the 4 pin cable setup works, but HFP only beeps 2 times.

Purple as ever! (my face too)

EDIT 2:

And HERE (!) is what I found out furthermore. When giving the HFP more power than 6V, everything works. I flew with my 6.1V BEC and the HFP for more than a year now - and I can understand that the GPS needs more when mated - but if so, please STATE it in the manual!

This was a lucky moment I had with a spare 2S Lipo lying around...otherwise it would have been the whole RMA all over again...
ed.ge is offline Find More Posts by ed.ge
Last edited by ed.ge; Jul 12, 2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:41 AM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
You can power HFP right from your flight batteries. You don't need a bec
JZSlenker is offline Find More Posts by JZSlenker
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:12 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZSlenker View Post
You can power HFP right from your flight batteries. You don't need a bec
Yes that’s one of the nice things about the HFP it has a built in BEC that’s good with a 3s or 4s LiPo flight battery – I have used both and it’s perfect for GPS. The Sport does not have this feature.

Yes that’s one of the nice things about the HFP it has a built in BEC that’s good with a 3s or 4s LiPo flight battery – I have used both and it’s perfect for GPS. The Sport does not have this feature.

The HFP is not reliable with only 6v input voltage and is not safe to fly that way.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:41 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
Yeah the HoverflyPro requires at least 7v. This is in the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed.ge View Post
Okay here is what I found out:

I need to use the 4 pin cable to get it recognized in the setup utility. (Found an article in your zendesk about a specific 2523 module ... )

And HERE is what sucks: With the 6pin cable setup doesnt work but HFP beeps 4 times. With the 4 pin cable setup works, but HFP only beeps 2 times.

Purple as ever! (my face too)

EDIT 2:

And HERE (!) is what I found out furthermore. When giving the HFP more power than 6V, everything works. I flew with my 6.1V BEC and the HFP for more than a year now - and I can understand that the GPS needs more when mated - but if so, please STATE it in the manual!

This was a lucky moment I had with a spare 2S Lipo lying around...otherwise it would have been the whole RMA all over again...
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:10 AM
Canada, NL, St John's
Joined Sep 2011
238 Posts
So this is no good in a Pro and GPS setup? (link here)

I'm glad I didn't use my new wiring harness hey !! Guess I'll go back to using the one from dpcav.com

Anywhere else we can get these at a resonable price?
Razzil is offline Find More Posts by Razzil
Last edited by Razzil; Jul 13, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:44 PM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
No, you need to supply the board with at least 7v. The easiest way is just to send it your 3 or 4 cell flight batteries voltage.
JZSlenker is offline Find More Posts by JZSlenker