HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:42 PM
Registered User
Ricomon's Avatar
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
456 Posts
Another option would be to put a smaller canopy on it. I have a Blade MCX canopy on one and a CX Nano on another, and there's no way to get a flybar strike.

Rick
Ricomon is offline Find More Posts by Ricomon
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:14 PM
Team WarpSquad
Daryoon's Avatar
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,691 Posts
The landing skids of the y911 (v911 clone) has a nice battery cage:



Add an eFlite/Blade/Parkzone type connector:


Easily pull out the battery leads. Connect and the battery wire slides back into the canopy to be concealed. No cutting of the canopy necessary.

The Turnigy 160mAh fits like it was design for it. It even gives a click. But then it holds so well, I have to push forward to get it out. LOL


Wonder if we can buy the skids separately. It's feels more durable than the v911, which I am always breaking. I think the battery wires are thicker gauge too.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Last edited by Daryoon; Oct 10, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:26 PM
GOT WINGS
siriusflier's Avatar
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,666 Posts
The Y911 battery holder also holds the turnigy 160mah and stock 9958 batteries snugly
siriusflier is offline Find More Posts by siriusflier
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:29 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Perhaps is only my Y911 but in mild crashes the battery gets lose which never happened to my V911. Yes, skids are stronger and flat (no slips at one side) but having the battery lose each time is a pain. In the other hand, I dislike the original skids so thin that having the heli overnight standing up results in a "wide open legs heli" next morning. I now keep it in a case.

By the way, Hobby King USA now has the 9x in stock. I just received an email.
jfdpl686 is offline Find More Posts by jfdpl686
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:31 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricomon View Post
Another option would be to put a smaller canopy on it. I have a Blade MCX canopy on one and a CX Nano on another, and there's no way to get a flybar strike.

Rick
Ive been looking for a canopy like that. First I saw the MIA, but they never responded to my questions about size. Then I saw in one of your posts the Nano, but you have 2 models... Which one is the best fit?
jfdpl686 is offline Find More Posts by jfdpl686
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:56 AM
Bash crash hopefully no splash
Flyingboats's Avatar
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdpl686 View Post
Perhaps is only my Y911 but in mild crashes the battery gets lose which never happened to my V911..
I had the same problem before I realised that I wasn't inserting the batteries fully. Now I lift the small retaining strap slightly while pushing the rear end of the battery end, and they lodge firmly into place. Don't think I've had a battery come out subsequently, despite my best attempts!

Removing them I hook the retaining strap with my index finger nail, then push the battery out with my thumb.
Flyingboats is offline Find More Posts by Flyingboats
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:48 AM
Registered User
LittleMo's Avatar
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricomon View Post
Another option would be to put a smaller canopy on it. I have a Blade MCX canopy on one and a CX Nano on another, and there's no way to get a flybar strike.
I have been thinking about a paper canopy but that doesn't solve strikes that hit the tail boom.

If I fly backwards with full elevator at high speed then let go of the sticks, SMACK!
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:20 AM
Registered User
Ricomon's Avatar
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdpl686 View Post
Ive been looking for a canopy like that. First I saw the MIA, but they never responded to my questions about size. Then I saw in one of your posts the Nano, but you have 2 models... Which one is the best fit?
The E-flite is a perfect fit. Just trim a slight amount to clear the pushrods and put two more holes for the lower mounts. The CX Nano is rather narrow. I trimmed the sides to clear the pushrods, but I still had to splay the fuel tanks way out on the rear mounts to eliminate pushrod binding, and the front is just sitting there. The CX Nano won't fit on the yellow 911 because of the different location of the mounting posts.

I have some other canopies on the way. I'll do a comparison of all of them when the new ones arrive.

Rick
Ricomon is offline Find More Posts by Ricomon
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:27 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingboats View Post
I had the same problem before I realised that I wasn't inserting the batteries fully. Now I lift the small retaining strap slightly while pushing the rear end of the battery end, and they lodge firmly into place. Don't think I've had a battery come out subsequently, despite my best attempts!

Removing them I hook the retaining strap with my index finger nail, then push the battery out with my thumb.
I didn't notice it! Thank you very much. I'll try today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricomon View Post
The E-flite is a perfect fit. Just trim a slight amount to clear the pushrods and put two more holes for the lower mounts. The CX Nano is rather narrow. I trimmed the sides to clear the pushrods, but I still had to splay the fuel tanks way out on the rear mounts to eliminate pushrod binding, and the front is just sitting there. The CX Nano won't fit on the yellow 911 because of the different location of the mounting posts.

I have some other canopies on the way. I'll do a comparison of all of them when the new ones arrive.

Rick
The Eflite it is! Thank you sir. I even think it's easier to get.
jfdpl686 is offline Find More Posts by jfdpl686
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:41 AM
Registered User
Ricomon's Avatar
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
456 Posts
Here's a close-up shot of the trimming and holes requires to mount it. On the yellow 911 the fuel tanks just butt up against the rear mounts, but it's still quite stable.

Rick
Ricomon is offline Find More Posts by Ricomon
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:06 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricomon View Post
Here's a close-up shot of the trimming and holes requires to mount it. On the yellow 911 the fuel tanks just butt up against the rear mounts, but it's still quite stable.

Rick
Not only the info but even what to do. Thank you. I'm ordering it right now; In fact I'm getting two, because I want to paint one.
jfdpl686 is offline Find More Posts by jfdpl686
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:34 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
140 Posts
Hello all!

First of all; hi, new here

Just bought my very first RC heli (besides the coaxial 3CH I bought years ago); a V911! It just arrived and I took it through its maiden flight through the house. A couple of questions, since I'm rather paranoid with new stuff so definitely with this

- Getting the battery in is hárd, is that right? The battery holder seems to be very much on the small side, and since you can only hold the canopy this poor piece of plastic gets quite the beating, is this alright? It's hinging a bit around it's 4 support points.
- I accidentaly moved the swashplate while a battery was NOT inserted, is this bad for the servo or something else? I'm asking this, thinking about the story that moving a street barrier ruins its engine. It flew "ok" (I think so, don't know what ok is..) afterwards.
- Is it correct that it's pretty difficult to fly in a straight line? I got a rather narrow corridor in my house and while I could fly through it, it was with a lot of aileron use to bank, resulting in going up and down because of my horrible two-thumb coördination Something to practice in!
- The heli is not superstraight when standing on his skis, I don't suppose that's a big problem? I just noticed that one ski has small bumps under it, the other one hasn't, might be caused by that. Maybe I should file of the bumps since the serve no purpose.
- On 1 battery I kept losing connection once I crashed and throttled down, is this normal? Turning the remote on and off fixed this immediately.


Anyways; LOVING it already! Thanks for the help.
bmoorthamers is offline Find More Posts by bmoorthamers
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:00 PM
Registered User
HuskySpade's Avatar
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoorthamers View Post
Hello all!

First of all; hi, new here

- The heli is not superstraight when standing on his skis, I don't suppose that's a big problem? I just noticed that one ski has small bumps under it, the other one hasn't, might be caused by that. Maybe I should file of the bumps since the serve no purpose.
Welcome! And congratulations on your purchase of the V911. I assure you that once you get ahold of the bird, she will serve you well.

Anyways, I wanted to answer one of your questions.

Those bumps on the skids DO HAVE A PURPOSE!! Do not file them off!! Because of the laws of natural physics, the helicopter has a tendency to drift because of the torque caused by the blades while they're spinning. Those intentional bumps are additional weight added to counteract that natural drift.

I thought the same thing when I got my first V911, but fortunately, thanks to MakDaddy, he enlightened me and told me the purpose that those bumps serve. Glad I didn't file them off!
HuskySpade is offline Find More Posts by HuskySpade
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:09 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Are you sure? I thought those were to aid on the lift off. Seeing the Y911 it doesn’t have them. I think some people remove them without much problem and the heli remains tilted when flying.

Regarding the other question… I fly mine in a narrow corridor (3ft wide) and it’s difficult mostly for the wind effect against walls and ceiling. I tried once with a mini CP and it was harder. I’ve notice the same is true flying close to walls or furniture.
jfdpl686 is offline Find More Posts by jfdpl686
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:16 PM
Registered User
HuskySpade's Avatar
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdpl686 View Post
Are you sure? I thought those were to aid on the lift off. Seeing the Y911 it doesn’t have them. I think some people remove them without much problem and the heli remains tilted when flying.
Thats what I was told and maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps you're right and it doesn't make a big difference. I've chosen not to file them off because WL Toys obviously put those there for a reason.

I guess the conclusion is: file at your own risk!
HuskySpade is offline Find More Posts by HuskySpade
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Jiuchon 9C002, a Solo Pro clone? SoloProFan Micro Helis 103 Feb 29, 2012 03:24 PM
Discussion Interesting Solo Pro? Clone gordonzo Micro Helis 46 Nov 30, 2011 04:15 AM
Question Which 100 sized heli after Solo Pro? Tuc Micro Helis 16 Jun 13, 2011 02:52 PM
Sold $100 !NEW ARF Storm 250 (Trex Clone) With Align Upgrades, Tons of Extras! $100!! RChelisrule Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 May 31, 2011 01:26 AM