SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2004, 10:42 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Awesome retro slopers day

My friend Michael Richter and I had a great time out at Ellwood. We both brought only our "retro" slopers, he a Dynaflite SR-7 and me a Hobby People Firebird (Sig Ninja clone). The wind was from 12-15mph for a good hour or so, enough to get our planes moving pretty nice. Stall turns, low passes, aerobatics, it was a great time.

We have both just recently gotten our "vintage" slopers flying again after having them up on the shelf for a while. I rebalanced mine with the CG at its most rearward position (4.5" from LE) and man, did this thing fly SO MUCH better than the last time I had it out! Wow!

Michael's SR-7 was awesome as usual, zooming around in true "jet fighter" fashion and doing the highest pumps out there.

Anyways, it was just cool to be flying a couple of "dated" sloper designs, and I found them to be just as cool as could be. My Firebird is close to ten years old now (hasn't been flown much actually) but I feel like I've only really gotten into it now, for the very first time. It finally flew like the Ninjas that I admired so much when I was a kid, and spent hours drooling over the pictures of them in RCM. Yeah, I know I was clueless, but to me the Ninja will always be a sweeeeet airplane because of how impressed I was with it when I was a kid.

Anyways, if you've got an oldie but goodie up on the shelf, chuck some gear in it and huck it! It's great fun, and you may find you like the plane better than you remember

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2004, 10:44 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Oh, and I should add: Lance (hydrogin) was out there with his first sloper, a Weasel, and he was flying it like a champ. What has it been, like two weeks or something? Already doing inside and outside loops, rolls, the whole deal. Typical Weasel learning curve!!!

Steve
Old Mar 02, 2004, 10:48 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,652 Posts
"Oh, and I should add: Lance (hydrogin) was out there with his first sloper, a Weasel, and he was flying it like a champ. What has it been, like two weeks or something? Already doing inside and outside loops, rolls, the whole deal. Typical Weasel learning curve!!!"

i wish i had some wind to start that learning curve....... i get wind, then i get rain right after ..... haha thank god i have a bungee

Joe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Mar 02, 2004, 11:50 PM
Austin, Tx
Joined Nov 2003
1,052 Posts
Any video?
Its been nothing but rain here.
By the way thanks for the info on the program for video editing.

Steven
Pegasus is offline Find More Posts by Pegasus
Last edited by Pegasus; Mar 02, 2004 at 11:57 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2004, 11:51 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Got a Katie II, still in the box. Might be time to build it and...dare I say...fly it!
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Mar 03, 2004, 12:16 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Sorry Steven no video, I only had about an hour to fly and I didn't want to "waste" any of it. But I promise I will soon...hehee, my Firebird is bright red with blue and white stripes on the wing and the stab, and Michael's SR-7 is white with blue trim (as anyone who saw the SR-7 video I made last weekend already knows). They even LOOK retro!

Steve