HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2013, 02:33 PM
United States, CA, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2013
20 Posts
Discussion
Jumping into the deep end of the hobby, could use some helpful input.

I don't know if I should even put this here or how it'll be received, but when I get back from deployment I'll be able to work on a project that I'm really excited about (combat pay should be pretty awesome). I really want to do something one off. I understand it'll be a huge under taking. And I'm sure there will be some down talk about it (putting it nicely), but what I want to do I don't know if anyone has ever done it before (except maybe manufactures in the toy heli market).

Anyway, I want to build a 500 class electric or turbine 'futuristic' attack heli. I want to design and construct the fuselage from scratch and give it a realistic weapons system. I know I'm jumping into the deep deep deep end way early but If I just try to slow progress through the hobby, I'll probably get bored. Then again, going to deep might frustrate me out of the hobby.

So what I'm trying to ask or get input on are the following: should I work the design around collective pitch or fixed pitched, flybar or flybarless, and what base heli should I use for the guts? Also, Fiberglass, Plastic, Aluminum, or Carbon Fiber for the fuselage? I like the idea of CF because it's super strong and durable (if done right), fairly easy to work with (from what I've read), but it's expensive.

Almost forgot to mention controllers/transmitters. I don't know jack and finding 'dumbed down' info hasn't been easy.

Thoughts, suggestions, gripes, opinions, whatever you got let's have 'em.

Thanks to all who comment
calmb4dastorm is offline Find More Posts by calmb4dastorm
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2013, 06:49 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,756 Posts
Well your taking on a large project and we don't know what your flying ability is.

First fiberglass will be your friend for the fuse. Nothing is worst than CF fibers floating around. Plus CF jams radio freq.
Second would be collective pitch and fbl. FP is less control and you are going to need max control. For the money the beastx would be the most stable, but for this project you may want gps so you can hit a switch and it will stay exactly where you put it and fly on it's own. For that I would get the DJI auto pilot with gps http://helidirect.com/dji-wookong-wk...on-p-27167.hdx
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:47 PM
Joined Mar 2013
20 Posts
Thank you for the input! I had no idea that CF would interfere with the radio frequency. Good to know. Also, I've been reading a lot about the gps/autopilot system. Mostly that people are either suggesting using them or actually using them. I'll try to find some info one them. got a good thread I should read for this? Finally, my skill level at the moment is fairly raw/limited. Only been flying for about 3 weeks. Not long, I know. However, after a posting another thread, I've decided I need to get a new heli to start working on. May even get one of these simulators I've heard about. Good thing about this deployment coming up (minus the money) will be that I'm maintenance and my Platoon Sargent is also into RC Helis (he kinda introduced them to me). If all works out, while I'm not working I'll have plenty of time to practice, research and educate, and work on the design.

Any thought's on an ideal transmitter?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:18 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,756 Posts
Transmitters are fighting words lol! I use Futaba. Solid locked in no brown outs. But most will suggest spektrum they give you more features for the money.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:15 PM
Joined Mar 2013
20 Posts
Haha. I figured the topic of transmitters would be a matter of preference. But like I said I know nothing. All of the 4 helis I've burned through had their own in-box transmitters. I just know that (I'm way guessing here so correct me if I'm wrong) I will need throttle up/down for alt and yaw or roll left/right, and forward/reverse and rotate/turn plus I want something (button or trigger) that can turn on/off certain lights and camera (I'm thinging just record but real time would be cool. not sure if possible). Also, like I stated I want to have a useable weapon system, so I'll need at least one button/trigger but ideally up to 3.

I don't even know if something like this exists.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:27 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,756 Posts
14 channel futaba super 8 or the newest 14 with telemetry http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAVCP&P=0
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:47 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,023 Posts
I am also a Futaba flier... I've been using Futaba radios since the 80's and I've never, ever had a problem due to lost or dropped signal. Flybarred helis are getting harder and harder to find because FBL is "the in thing" right now but FBL heads are more expensive - never understood why a simpler design with less parts and less complexity is more expensive. FBL heads also need an expensive FBL controller while flybarred helis do not.

Did I mention you should get Futaba?
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:58 PM
Joined Mar 2013
20 Posts
mhills51 and Mike_Then > I'll look into them later tonight. After looking at 2 spektrum transmitters, the info was definitely a bit overwhelming. However, 3-0 Futaba is giving me the impression that Futaba is better. lol. Chances are pretty good that until I move up from the helis I have, the transmitter issue will probably be over my head. I definitely need to try to find somewhere with definitions and explanations of a lot of stuff. Primarily what the more "expert" or "professional" transmitters do, GPS/AutoPilot (altho the name is kind of a giveaway, I think), and mostly the detailed mechanics involved in engine to gear to shaft to prop and everything that governs everything. Thank god I'm already a wheeled vehicle mechanic. lol.

Anyway thanks again to everyone who has posted with respect!
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:59 AM
Joined Mar 2013
20 Posts
So I checked out Futaba and...... Wow. I don't know if I'm just attracted to shinny things or not but those transmitters look pretty awesome. lol. I now realize that it's probably way too early to be looking at transmitters. lol.

I really appreciate all the input so far. Thank you. I guess my next step is to get a hold of a collective pitch, flybarless heli or a simulator to start becoming a good pilot. Not sure where to go there. The classifications really make no sense to me.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:39 AM
bclong211
USA, SC, Columbia
Joined Jan 2007
71 Posts
artillery for your heli project!

Check this one out!!!
RC Helicopter Rocket Launch System "DCRLS" (6 min 40 sec)
bclong211 is offline Find More Posts by bclong211
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Devo 8 for sale.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:03 PM
Joined Mar 2013
20 Posts
^ I've seen that actually. Kind of one of the reasons I'm taking on this adventure. I may try to get in contact with him/her so I can see how he worked the electronics. It's been years since I've launched/made a rocket! I've actually been trying to talk my wife into letting me get one so that I could show her the awesomeness. So far no luck.
Last edited by calmb4dastorm; Mar 24, 2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:28 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmb4dastorm View Post
^ I've seen that actually. Kind of one of the reasons I'm taking on this adventure. I may try to get in contact with him/her so I can see how he worked the electronics. It's been years since I've launched/made a rocket! I've actually been trying to talk my wife into letting me get one so that I could show her the awesomeness. So far no luck.

I'm also thinking about a small caliber bb gun mounted to the nose with a CO2 canister as the propellant. AirSoft would probably be cheaper but from my experience with AirSoft the pellets are near impossible to get on target. Granted, I never fired any of the more "professional" grade weapons either.
Sent you a PM.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans