HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,387 Posts
Video
W.T. Preston Crane Work

Now that wife's knee surgery is over, it's back to the build. Now working on the mechanism that turns the crane boom. On Preston, an 8-foot wheel is rotated left and right by a small steam engine. Preston's 80-foot crane boom is attached to this wheel, called the Bull Wheel. I'm using a 12 VDC 10 rpm gear motor to turn the bull wheel. The movie shows a preliminary test to see how realistic the rotation rate looks. The turning motor sits behind the steam donkey operator's cab. An endless cable runs from the steam engine drum, through guide blocks and around the bull wheel. I'll control this gear motor with an ESC. This will give me precise control over rotation speed. At full speed, the boom will slew left and right at 0.8 rpm. I think it looks about right.

Mike in Edmonds
hookpilot is offline Find More Posts by hookpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:44 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
950 Posts
Looks great so far!
question though, is the steam winch warping drum mounted horizontally like in you video? also, the spee looks pretty good, If that is the maximum sped (on 12 V) then personaally I would have it a touch faster. about 1 Rpm would probably give a ood speed, thats 30 seconds to go from one stopper to another, which will actually feel really slow when you start usingthe crane. I have used the continuous turning servo's with drums mounted on the spline for crane applications. also have used them for the turning gear, my space restrictions didnt allow for a large enough gear on the crane base for the right reduction. but they deliver very nice controll of speed and cheap application (14.99 in some places). Your model looks great, I am going to have tpo read through the whole build I think

Cheers
G-O
Guard-Officer is offline Find More Posts by Guard-Officer