Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 17, 2012, 10:18 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCV6 View Post
10 no and 4 yes but wouldn't feel comfortable asking for gas money.

With CodeJock's point, Surely that would depend on the agreed arrangement between the seller and the manufacturer. I know if we get equipment and there are issues with it unless there is an agreement in place that specifically states it's shipped back to the manufacturer at their cost, we pay the shipping costs.

I see many vendors have a set of terms and conditions that the buyer has to agree to before the purchase will go through.

Mark
You bring up a good point- It's what's agreed (agreement between buyer and seller) before the actual transaction that is important. Some vendors do have a posted "no cost to you" in the event of damage right out of the box or DOA, while others mention having to weight the contents, take pictures, etc. etc.

Personally, I've had to do 1 return to Hobbypartz for a puff Lipo after 3 charger cycles. Instead of actually requiring a physical return, they did require very detailed pictures, but did come through with a new Lipo.

At this point I'm convinced that those that feel strongly online vendors should pay for return postage don't feel comfortable asking their LHS to pay for gas. There were some valid points made, but really is this because the LHS is face to face while the online vendor is miles away and at the other end of an email, or phone?

I find while most people (net in general) that are hot heads, impatient, etc, when you meet them in real person are quite pleasant and civilized.

Maybe this explains partly why we require much more of our online vendors, but are relaxed towards our LHS.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2012, 01:49 AM
Builds better than he flies
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCV6 View Post
10 no and 4 yes but wouldn't feel comfortable asking for gas money.

With CodeJock's point, Surely that would depend on the agreed arrangement between the seller and the manufacturer. I know if we get equipment and there are issues with it unless there is an agreement in place that specifically states it's shipped back to the manufacturer at their cost, we pay the shipping costs.

I see many vendors have a set of terms and conditions that the buyer has to agree to before the purchase will go through.

Mark
Interesting Mark, I hadn't really thought about it that way (being a consumer and not a vendor).

Then I suppose the same rules do and should apply in any consumer/supplier arrangements. If there are T & Cs relating to the return of faulty articles that states that the vendor or consumer covers shipping/postage costs then we should all be double checking them before ordering to be sure of our statutory rights prior to engaging into a contract. So, I would now suggest that the poll should've contained a fourth option: "RTFM"!
CodeJock is offline Find More Posts by CodeJock
Old May 18, 2012, 02:24 AM
The END.....ha!
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,902 Posts
As some have pointed out in the past, T's & C's aren't necessarily the "be all and end all" and quite often can be argued and depending on how they are argued agreements can be mutually reached or can be demanded with a whole bunch of foot stomping and dummy spitting (I prefer the mutual agreement path). I just think it's a real good idea for people to probably read what the vendor is listing as their terms so the customer knows what they are getting themselves into before making decisions. If the vendor has some rules and the customer doesn't like them, then I'm sure there will be another vendor somwhere with more agreeable rules. Saves a whole lot of grief.

Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Last edited by KCV6; May 18, 2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: To clarify for those that require it.
Old May 18, 2012, 06:36 AM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Last edited by sgtdirt; Jun 07, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 18, 2012, 01:05 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
Maybe this explains partly why we require much more of our online vendors, but are relaxed towards our LHS.
I doubt it. When you visit a local hobby shop, you have the part in hand for inspection. If you are buying a lipo, you can open it on the spot and see if it's puffed, no hobby shop that I've ever seen would object to a quick test and inspection before leaving the shop. Same goes for inspecting parts, kits, etc. Failure to check before you leave makes the transportation costs the responsability of the purchaser.

When dealing with places on the other side of the world, it complicates things dramatically. They can ADVERTISE that they check things, but the reality is that they can send junk out the door and you're on the hook to accept it or pay to ship it back. Hobby king's advertisements are funny. On their customer support battery Warranty section, they claim that all lipos are checked before leaving. I would love to see that in action. LOL.

Too bad Hobby King doesn't offer web cam viewing of their operation. That would be a hoot. It would be neat to watch your order being packed and shipped.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Last edited by Joe 1320; May 18, 2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old May 21, 2012, 01:37 AM
Builds better than he flies
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
I doubt it. When you visit a local hobby shop, you have the part in hand for inspection. If you are buying a lipo, you can open it on the spot and see if it's puffed, no hobby shop that I've ever seen would object to a quick test and inspection before leaving the shop. Same goes for inspecting parts, kits, etc. Failure to check before you leave makes the transportation costs the responsability of the purchaser.

When dealing with places on the other side of the world, it complicates things dramatically. They can ADVERTISE that they check things, but the reality is that they can send junk out the door and you're on the hook to accept it or pay to ship it back. Hobby king's advertisements are funny. On their customer support battery Warranty section, they claim that all lipos are checked before leaving. I would love to see that in action. LOL.

Too bad Hobby King doesn't offer web cam viewing of their operation. That would be a hoot. It would be neat to watch your order being packed and shipped.
This was pretty much my original point that when purchasing from your LHS you can inspect the parts for defects and suitability before actually completing the transaction. My favourite LHS is very good and the owner has no problem with me checking things (LiPo's, kits, parts etc) before I purchase them.
CodeJock is offline Find More Posts by CodeJock
Old May 21, 2012, 01:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
27 Posts
I'm confused about this poll and the numbers shown. If each member gets only one vote then the numbers are way off. There are only 9 resondents to this thread yet the numbers indicate like 16 or 17. Is it possiblr to vote each time you log in or only once.

Including myself this thread has posts by rcalldaylong, Magrat, Countilaw, KCV6, sgtdirt, CodeJock, Joe1320, and Jeffhines2673. That is nine respondants so how exactly does the voting work?
edsmith Top Spin is offline Find More Posts by edsmith Top Spin
Old May 21, 2012, 01:52 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsmith View Post
I'm confused about this poll and the numbers shown. If each member gets only one vote then the numbers are way off. There are only 9 resondents to this thread yet the numbers indicate like 16 or 17. Is it possiblr to vote each time you log in or only once.

Including myself this thread has posts by rcalldaylong, Magrat, Countilaw, KCV6, sgtdirt, CodeJock, Joe1320, and Jeffhines2673. That is nine respondants so how exactly does the voting work?
You can vote without posting or post without voting.
Old May 21, 2012, 08:19 PM
Suspended Account
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Jan 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsmith View Post

I didn't vote, I felt there were not enough options. So don't count my Non-vote.
countilaw is offline Find More Posts by countilaw
Old May 22, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,066 Posts
What's gase?

How about a 4th choice:
Yes, but only half.
And a 5th:
No, but my LHS should give me 10% off the next purchase.
Brian_ is offline Find More Posts by Brian_
Old May 22, 2012, 05:24 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
What's gase?

How about a 4th choice:
Yes, but only half.
And a 5th:
No, but my LHS should give me 10% off the next purchase.
LOL! gas. of course. I tried going back to edit it 30 secs after posting and couldn't change it. so that's that.

anyways, I didn't consider that because I really wanted to compare apples to apples. So hence gas = shipping cost.

I know there's the argument of it's the LHS so I can test, touch, see the product, but I'm talking about things that you can't test and can't know right away.

let's take Lipos...you take home, solder it fly it and it puffs....
or ESC's that DOA (obviously you can't test ESC's at your LHS or it would be difficult to do so)

For those instances, if the majority don't feel their LHS should pay for their gas, then I'm curious why those same people would then turn around and expect online vendors to pay for shipping. And then the argument about online vendors that are worlds away and shipping cost is high, or sometimes more than the item itself...to that I say, sure, that's not any different than if you went to a LHS that was really far away...either because that LHS had what you wanted or it's cheaper than your backyard LHS.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:36 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
Old May 22, 2012, 10:46 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdirt View Post
can i ask which poll your getting your info? in YOUR poll, the MAJORITY say NO, vendors should not have to pay for return shipping.

i don't understand the poll. what company are you referring to when you state "worlds away" what are you trying to prove?
btw, i gave you two U.S. vendors that did not charge me anything when they had to ship me good parts because i had received defective ones. also, as it's been stated before, i can usually get a discount voucher from my LHS if i purchased a defective part, lipo or gear. i think i have proven that this is the great way to operate a business. i get a big eating grin when things work out painlessly.
very good! keep at it. Again, I'm sooooooooooooooooo excited and soooooooooooo glad it's working for you.
Old May 22, 2012, 11:21 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
Old May 22, 2012, 11:26 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts