HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2014, 05:00 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
Still Rolling Left

Left roll has continued to be an issue with my MM since maiden. Test flights following repairs after my crash still required 10 clicks of right trim to maintain level flight.

Lateral balance seemed indicate the left wing was heavy so 2oz of lead was added to the wing tip. Aileron trim was neutralized on the first test flight but had no effect at all and it continued to roll left until 10 clicks of right trim was added.

Wing and horizontal stab are perfectly in line and the rudder is straight. left and right wing tips and incidence appear the same.

I'm at a loss to understand what is wrong or out of rig. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dick

edit: .........just happened to think maybe the motor mount might not have enough right angle - would that account for the fact the added weight might not have had any effect?
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Oct 20, 2014 at 05:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2014, 01:10 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2013
467 Posts
Right thrust

I was going to say check the thrust angle. It needs right and down. In the 2Bfly review, they had the same problem and corrected it by shifting the battery. Check out the video. Lateral balance doesn't have a drastic effect on roll trim. It usually rears its head at the top of a loop. I do fly mine with a couple of clicks right rudder, adjusting the tailwheel for straight roll. Also check for a loose or cracked motor mount.
mark l is offline Find More Posts by mark l
Last edited by mark l; Oct 21, 2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:08 AM
Joined Mar 2013
467 Posts
Right trim

Dick, I watched that 2Bfly review again and it should definately help you. Click on review and go to the sixth page. It's a 2 part video review and the cogent points are in part 2. They had exactly the same problem you are describing.
Last edited by mark l; Oct 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 03:29 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
Okay, reviewed the vid again and I can't see how moving the battery over to the right would have any affect at all. I'm going to check the thrust angle first chance I get.

Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Oct 21, 2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 08:04 PM
Joined Mar 2013
467 Posts
thrust angle

Lack of sufficient thrust angle should result in a throttle sensitive roll. If you're adding 10 clicks right trim at 3/4 throttle, it should roll right when the throttle is decreased. Your repair might have thrown the balance of the fuse off. The battery movement might do the trick. I'll be interested to hear about what you find. You gotta admit, their description of the problem does sound identicle to yours.
Last edited by mark l; Oct 21, 2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:55 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark l View Post
Lack of sufficient thrust angle should result in a throttle sensitive roll. If you're adding 10 clicks right trim at 3/4 throttle, it should roll right when the throttle is decreased. Your repair might have thrown the balance of the fuse off. The battery movement might do the trick. I'll be interested to hear about what you find. You gotta admit, their description of the problem does sound identicle to yours.
Yeah, I admit it sounds similar but it seemed they didn't say that much other than shifting the battery. I'll look at it again.
Following the repair it still wanted to roll left - identically to the first three flights before the crash.
I think I'll fly it at cruise throttle straight and level, reduce power and see if it rolls right.

I'll let you know soon as I find anything but it may be a few days yet.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:13 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
Since the added wing tip weight had no effect I guess it won't make any difference to remove then... ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2014, 06:21 AM
Joined Mar 2013
467 Posts
tip weight

How much is it?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 09:08 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
It was almost 2 oz.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:59 AM
Joined Mar 2013
467 Posts
tip weight.

Not sure. Is it out of balance laterally with the weight in?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 01:48 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
I just did another lat balance and now the right wing is heavy. I need to remove the weight and start all over....

Thanks, I'll get back soon as I have time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2014, 07:53 PM
Joined Mar 2013
467 Posts
Mm

Wrecked another GeeBee. Started back in on my Mr. Mulligan gas conversion. New firewall's in, working on a new dummy radial and waiting for the engine mounts. the 20cc is going to fit nicely inside the cowl and looks like the spark plug cap will be the only thing protruding. Should be a screamer with about the same power to weight as the original(full scale).
Old Nov 10, 2014, 08:44 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
.........what happened to the GB?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2014, 07:20 AM
Joined Mar 2013
467 Posts
GeeBee demise

Dumb Thumbs. Hadn't flown it in months, flying an unfamiliar pattern and stalled it turning downwind for an approach. Nothing exciting....could probably fix it but I don't think I will.
Old Dec 08, 2014, 07:55 PM
So many planes, so little time
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Mar 2013
198 Posts
Toys for Tots

Mark, I was hoping to run into you yesterday at the Toys for Tots event. I was there with Mr. Mulli at the ready, but since you weren't there I took out the T-craft instead. (two 6 minute flights or one 12 minute flight) I did meet your friend Phil and some other guys who knew you. Good folks down there!
JustBuyIt is offline Find More Posts by JustBuyIt
Site Sponsor