Old Dec 01, 2014, 05:08 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by njking View Post
thanks Al,
trust me iam resisting very much, that's why I haven't dug out my colourful collection of packing tape on this one :-D,
anyway update is the that the wing is ready, 9 inch extension added, I have cut the hinges as well, later on tonight I will put together everything for glide test, iam hoping it balances well.
by the way, I have a question, since most my planes I have got already are 4 channel and I mostly fly bank and yank on the sim, can I somehow make it so that the rudder is moved by the aileron stick on my dx6i, Iam not used to flying left stick rudder.
nj
Yes , just plug the rudder servo into the aileron channel on the receiver .

EzFlys do not glide well , so don't expect much when you do a glide test . Here are some " flying your EzFly the first time " tips I posted a few weeks ago , they may help .

Al

A few hints for that first flight - if your airframe is straight and true , your CG balance is where it should be , and your rudder and elevator are in the neutral position , it will fly .

1 . " BE 100 % SURE " that your control surfaces are moving in the right direction , and start with low rates and a little expo .

2 . Don't try to fly high or fast at first - maybe 2 or 3 meters high at no more than half throttle . Hold it underneath right behind the prop slot and toss it STRAIGHT AHEAD ( NOT UP ) with the wings level .

3 . If it pulls to the right or left ( at half throttle ) , land it and adjust the rudder trim until it flies straight at half throttle .

4 . If it noses down ( at half throttle ) , land it and move your battery back until it will fly straight ahead at half throttle . Do not adjust elevator trim if the elevator is in the neutral position .

5 . If it noses up ( at half throttle ) , land it and move the battery forward until it flies straight ahead at half throttle . Do not adjust elevator trim if the elevator is in the neutral position . If it still noses up ( at half throttle ) with the battery all the way forward , get a heavier battery or add a little weight to the nose .

Once you have the rudder trimmed and the CG adjusted , then try to fly higher and farther . The EzFly should climb with increased throttle and descend with reduced throttle . Don't completely shut down the throttle while it's in the air because it will nose down quite a bit - EzFlys do not glide well with no power . Also , it may turn slightly with increased throttle due to motor torque twisting the plane in the opposite direction of the prop rotation . Keep the turns mild at first ( as little banking as possible ) - the more a plane banks the more the wings lose lift and the plane will spiral down .

It's best if you try the first flights in a LARGE , OPEN AREA with no trees , poles , buildings , etc. on a day with no wind . If possible , fly over a field with tall grass to cushion the landings .

If you can get an experienced RC pilot to help you with the first flight , that will be the easiest .
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2014, 05:53 PM
Joined Nov 2014
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Yes , just plug the rudder servo into the aileron channel on the receiver .

EzFlys do not glide well , so don't expect much when you do a glide test . Here are some " flying your EzFly the first time " tips I posted a few weeks ago , they may help .

Al

A few hints for that first flight - if your airframe is straight and true , your CG balance is where it should be , and your rudder and elevator are in the neutral position , it will fly .

1 . " BE 100 % SURE " that your control surfaces are moving in the right direction , and start with low rates and a little expo .

2 . Don't try to fly high or fast at first - maybe 2 or 3 meters high at no more than half throttle . Hold it underneath right behind the prop slot and toss it STRAIGHT AHEAD ( NOT UP ) with the wings level .

3 . If it pulls to the right or left ( at half throttle ) , land it and adjust the rudder trim until it flies straight at half throttle .

4 . If it noses down ( at half throttle ) , land it and move your battery back until it will fly straight ahead at half throttle . Do not adjust elevator trim if the elevator is in the neutral position .

5 . If it noses up ( at half throttle ) , land it and move the battery forward until it flies straight ahead at half throttle . Do not adjust elevator trim if the elevator is in the neutral position . If it still noses up ( at half throttle ) with the battery all the way forward , get a heavier battery or add a little weight to the nose .

Once you have the rudder trimmed and the CG adjusted , then try to fly higher and farther . The EzFly should climb with increased throttle and descend with reduced throttle . Don't completely shut down the throttle while it's in the air because it will nose down quite a bit - EzFlys do not glide well with no power . Also , it may turn slightly with increased throttle due to motor torque twisting the plane in the opposite direction of the prop rotation . Keep the turns mild at first ( as little banking as possible ) - the more a plane banks the more the wings lose lift and the plane will spiral down .

It's best if you try the first flights in a LARGE , OPEN AREA with no trees , poles , buildings , etc. on a day with no wind . If possible , fly over a field with tall grass to cushion the landings .

If you can get an experienced RC pilot to help you with the first flight , that will be the easiest .
thanks al

just as an update, here is a pic for the ready plane, no electronics and controls yet, and man you were right about not gliding well, I tried that. I will keep updating and hopefully by tomorrow evening it will be good to fly, fingers crossed.

nj
njking is offline Find More Posts by njking
Old Dec 01, 2014, 06:28 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,853 Posts
Quote:
thanks al

just as an update, here is a pic for the ready plane, no electronics and controls yet, and man you were right about not gliding well, I tried that. I will keep updating and hopefully by tomorrow evening it will be good to fly, fingers crossed.

nj
Airframe looks good ! If possible , have someone shoot a video of the flight .

Al
Old Dec 02, 2014, 02:00 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Hilversum
Joined Sep 2014
66 Posts
njking, I am missing a 1x6 mm spar at the rear of the upper KMF part of the wing.
If you are using Depron shave the top of the leading edge with 240 grid sanding paper to a more wing-like design to get better gliding.
It is of no use to dry test the plane to check COG. The plain throttle depending to keep gliding.
Always use 50% power using a 2370-1700 motor/ 7x4 prop/2S battery like Al described.

If the plain is a good heigth and you release the throttle it has a not the gliding path of a real thermal glider.
But is sails reasonbly smoothly flat downwards. You might need to fiddle with the elevator to keep the glide path level certainly when it almost hit the ground due to reduced thermal lift.

Plain looks nice and clean.

Paco
JupaCreations is offline Find More Posts by JupaCreations
Last edited by JupaCreations; Dec 02, 2014 at 02:12 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2014, 02:42 PM
Joined Nov 2014
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupaCreations View Post
njking, I am missing a 1x6 mm spar at the rear of the upper KMF part of the wing.
If you are using Depron shave the top of the leading edge with 240 grid sanding paper to a more wing-like design to get better gliding.
It is of no use to dry test the plane to check COG. The plain throttle depending to keep gliding.
Always use 50% power using a 2370-1700 motor/ 7x4 prop/2S battery like Al described.

If the plain is a good heigth and you release the throttle it has a not the gliding path of a real thermal glider.
But is sails reasonbly smoothly flat downwards. You might need to fiddle with the elevator to keep the glide path level certainly when it almost hit the ground due to reduced thermal lift.

Plain looks nice and clean.

Paco
hey, yeah just sanded the top parts of the wing, it did look very square for sure, installed the motor too, the strange bit is that its a motor from an old yak 54 and I don't know what kv it is but its patched to an 18amp esc, ive thrown a 6x4 prop on for the time being, I got a bigger prop if needed,
the spanner in the works is the battery, I bought a 2 cell 1300mah battery but it turns out this esc or motor is not working with 2 cell, so I have to fly it with a 2200 mah 3 cell zippy compact, the COG comes spot on but it will be slightly heavier than a 2 cell choice so fingers crossed, waiting for a calm day, which is rare in the british winter :-)
I have tried very hard to keep within the parameter AL gave me and what I have laying about, this seems to be the best compromise.

some pics too
nj
Old Dec 03, 2014, 03:32 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,853 Posts
nj , as long as you're waiting for the weather , I strongly recommend ordering a lighter battery ( or two ) . A 2200mah 3 cell is going to make your EzFly heavy and force it to fly faster just to stay in the air , defeating the purpose of building a slow flyer .

Al

Here is a 1000mah 3 cell available at HobbyKing UK :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Or better yet would be this 850mah :

Old Dec 03, 2014, 03:37 PM
Joined Nov 2014
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
nj , as long as you're waiting for the weather , I strongly recommend ordering a lighter battery ( or two ) . A 2200mah 3 cell is going to make your EzFly heavy and force it to fly faster just to stay in the air , defeating the purpose of building a slow flyer .

Al

Here is a 1000mah 3 cell available at HobbyKing UK :

Or better yet would be this 850mah :

cheers AL
ordered both
Old Dec 03, 2014, 04:07 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,853 Posts
Quote:
cheers AL
ordered both
Excellent !
Old Dec 16, 2014, 04:02 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I have been selling these little EzFly Chuck Gliders at some of the shows for the little kids to have something to toss around. I figured I would go ahead and put them on the site.
Wingspan = 18"
Weight = 25g.
EzFly Chuck Glider

Below are the assembly instructions.
Mike
Fancyfoam
Very nice Mike ! I might get one and try to put an ultralight RC vectored thrust unit on the nose for the indoor season .

Al
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:07 AM
aka Anthony
Edmonton, Alberta
Joined Jul 2002
1,009 Posts
Ez fly Yoshi

Here is my scratch build out of dollar store foam board (basically depron) with the paper removed. Took 4 evenings, easy build, thanks for the plans! It is for my 6 year old, he has already flown my blu-baby on the buddy box but I thought it would be fun to build him his own plane together.

When I had it mostly together my wife immediately said it looked like Yoshi so it had to be, googly eyes and all. Coloured with sharpies to save weight as its a bit heavy at 8.5oz auw.
Xoltri is offline Find More Posts by Xoltri
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:14 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoltri View Post
here is my scratch build out of dollar store foam board (basically depron) with the paper removed. Took 4 evenings, easy build, thanks for the plans! It is for my 6 year old, he has already flown my blu-baby on the buddy box but i thought it would be fun to build him his own plane together.

When i had it mostly together my wife immediately said it looked like yoshi so it had to be, googly eyes and all. Coloured with sharpies to save weight as its a bit heavy at 8.5oz auw.
cute ! :d
Old Dec 17, 2014, 08:51 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
4,004 Posts
I like it but i will not tell my daughter. She saw another Yoshi flying last spring and got jealous.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Dec 18, 2014, 06:12 AM
Sunny
India, Gujarat, Surat
Joined Nov 2005
2 Posts
EzyFly Icon5 plan pdf

I need Ezyfly Icon5 plan in pdf fprmat ( A4 tiled manner).
Can anybody help me...
runik4 is online now Find More Posts by runik4