HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:56 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
I seal mine, prpbably not a big deal doing 3D but it soes make the the controls more effecient, it dowes not alow air preasure to escape through the hinge gap. It will help more in precision flight than 3D.

An extreme example for me was a sky bolt biplane that I built years ago, the hinge gaps were not perfect and it would not loop with out screwing off in another direction untill I sealed the gap.

I suspect that all the guys flying precision and IMAC will seal their gaps. Sport flyers amy not be so pickey.

You chose who you want to follow.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:32 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I seal mine, prpbably not a big deal doing 3D but it soes make the the controls more effecient, it dowes not alow air preasure to escape through the hinge gap. It will help more in precision flight than 3D.

An extreme example for me was a sky bolt biplane that I built years ago, the hinge gaps were not perfect and it would not loop with out screwing off in another direction untill I sealed the gap.

I suspect that all the guys flying precision and IMAC will seal their gaps. Sport flyers amy not be so pickey.

You chose who you want to follow.

Dennis
Hi Guys....

I "usually" seal mine, but I just use the appropriate color of Ultracote, (we all buy the appropriate colors for repairs....right??) as it is thinner than benderm, and is only sticky when heated...And....if you mess up while applying it, all you have to do is hit it with the iron and lift it up to re-apply. The 21st Century trim iron is great for this, and is inexpensive.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 19, 2010, 09:11 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
I'm hoping to find some servos tomorrow for this bird @ the Thunderbirds swap meet. Anyone in the southwest Michigan area should check it out.~

http://www.kazoothunderbirds.com/

Blessings!
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Feb 19, 2010, 09:37 PM
Jesus Freak
USA, TN, Knoxville, Cedar Bluff
Joined Feb 2005
866 Posts
Check out the price on the servos this plane was designed to use at 3dhs.com. I don't think you'll beat that price anywhere. Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post
I'm hoping to find some servos tomorrow for this bird @ the Thunderbirds swap meet. Anyone in the southwest Michigan area should check it out.~

http://www.kazoothunderbirds.com/

Blessings!
byHISgrace is offline Find More Posts by byHISgrace
Old Feb 19, 2010, 09:50 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Very true! 3DHS was sold out when I pulled the trigger on the SC. You can't beat this price any where on the net. ~ http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=2127

Blessings!
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:10 PM
Jesus Freak
USA, TN, Knoxville, Cedar Bluff
Joined Feb 2005
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post
Very true! 3DHS was sold out when I pulled the trigger on the SC. You can't beat this price any where on the net. ~ http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=2127

Blessings!
They show instock now but don't forget to call/email/pm the man himself even if an item shows no stock.
byHISgrace is offline Find More Posts by byHISgrace
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:31 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
I used to seal my hinges with blenderm but now use clear covering. It applies easier because it doesn't stick to itself like tape. AAnd as Draknkep mentioned, after applied, it doesn't attract dirt like tape either. I usually forget to do this until after the servos are in place so I just do it in two lengths that overlap slightly.

As with everything, there are pros and cons. It can be difficult to see which side is the clear covering vs the clear backing. The easiest way to tell is to hold them up to the light and see which has a satin look - that's the covering. Another tip is to apply scotch tape on either side of the covering and then pull them apart so the covering comes off with one and the backing with the other - effortless.

Good point, Ben, about being careful to do it right. I'll have to ensure it doesn't induce any servo strain.
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
Old Feb 20, 2010, 01:11 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Sealing mostly causes problems on planes smaller than 50" that use HS-65 and smaller servos. Even the HS-85's on an AJ Slick do much better overcoming some extra drag. The 225's on this plane can overcome some extra drag too.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 20, 2010, 07:26 PM
Joined Aug 2008
14 Posts
Which brand Hobby City 4s battery do you guys like? which "C" rating?

What is the best all around battery 3200? 3700? for the 57" Extra?

Thanks!
Cptmorgan is offline Find More Posts by Cptmorgan
Old Feb 20, 2010, 07:43 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
I like the Rhino 4S 3700mah 25c.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 20, 2010, 08:04 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Until I get more funds I'm using two Rhino 4S 30C 2150's in parallel. These things are crazy strong. The set is a bit heavy but they hold an incredible 15V+ under a 66A load! That's just amazing to me.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Feb 20, 2010, 09:54 PM
Clovis, CA
Joined Nov 2007
89 Posts
Got the SC combo coming to my house this Monday from the Addict's sale. Thanks Ben.

With the Torque 4016-500, the amp draw for a 14x7 APC prop on 5S is 60-65amps in reference to Extreme Flight RC website.

I was wondering if a 5S 20C 3000 will be good enough for this motor.

Hobbycity has the Turnigy 5S 20C for $26. http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=9263 . I think the price is crazy. I don't want to order it if the amp draw is too much for the battery. Last thing I want is a hot swollen pack.
indi00 is offline Find More Posts by indi00
Old Feb 21, 2010, 09:57 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indi00 View Post
I was wondering if a 5S 20C 3000 will be good enough for this motor.

Hobbycity has the Turnigy 5S 20C for $26...I don't want to order it if the amp draw is too much for the battery. Last thing I want is a hot swollen pack.
60A is right at 20C. Usually you can discharge in bursts slightly higher than its constant C rating. The voltage sag at that load will rob you of some power too. It should be flyable with throttle management, but there's not much safety margin in that setup. Personally, I think I'd spend a little more $$ to get either a slightly larger 20C pack (3300-3600mAh) or bump up the C rating. Do it once. Do it right. I've paid quite a lot of "stupid tax" trying to save money on cheap components.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:25 AM
Goes to eleven!
Bellingham WA
Joined Mar 2009
1,084 Posts
Does anyone know the Ultracote colors for the Blue/Yellow/White?
Got a hole in each wing underside from the landing gear folding up.
Not much damage as luckily the blind nuts holding the gear pulled through.
Gear and wheel-pants are fine too.

Grass landed a little hard! - pretty floaty on landing approaches - got to fly it to the ground!

Thanks for the help!

Joe
JK13 is offline Find More Posts by JK13
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:38 AM
Clovis, CA
Joined Nov 2007
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn View Post
I've paid quite a lot of "stupid tax" trying to save money on cheap components.

kendall
Thanks for knocking some sense into me. Last season I lost 3 51" AJ Slicks due to radio lock outs. One was a total lost. Two got fuse replacements. I always fly two to three mistakes high. I hate the dreadful feeling of staring at my sticks hopelessly while my plane slams the ground.

I was flying with "subpar components". I had a DX6i, AR6200, Turnigy 80amp, GR45, 4S 20C 2200 zippys, APC 14X7 on the Slick. Talk about bad combos. The weak link is everywhere.

So this season, I'm trying to avoid the stupid tax.
Got a Futaba 8FGE, 2x 4S 40C 3000, 2x 4S 40C 3000 Zippy ready to go. I'm not liking the 4S 3000 because it is too heavy for the Slick to do 3D for my skills. The 4S 20C 2200 feel just right. Might have to go with 4S 40C 2200.

Crossing my fingers because I really hope to crash the SC with dumb thumbs only.
indi00 is offline Find More Posts by indi00