HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:11 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
Discussion
Deck Flier

So I've got a fairly open area in my back deck. Fairly large deck with a large opening in the trees. about a 75' circular opening. The only issue is that its about a 20' drop off the back of the deck then the hill is about 30 degrees down hill from there . Is there a good design that I could fly out there? I live in the hills of Santa Cruz in the redwoods, so the plane would have to be able to take a decent beating/be easy to build since I dont think it would win an argument agaist one of the 100' tall redwoods .

I've only got access to Dollar Tree foam, EPS and I have a couple sheets of 3mm Depron.

Any sugestions? and please also list motor and prop set ups too.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:31 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
My suggestion is with any new plane fly in a more open area, as it seems recovery for you may be difficult if you miss the deck. You can build any small 3D plane if you are good enough at flying. The plane I fly in my back yard is a 24" nutball. I can contain it in 1/2 of a 'sports' court without much difficulty so 75'(double the area) should be no problem. The nutball can hover in for recovery instead of landing and is incredibly easy to build.
Kurpal is offline Find More Posts by Kurpal
Old Mar 17, 2009, 05:24 PM
Soil Density Tester
United States, TX, Bonham
Joined Feb 2004
404 Posts
NutBall

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836389
TexasAce is offline Find More Posts by TexasAce