HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2007, 11:23 AM
Joined Oct 2005
126 Posts
Discussion
source of a tow release..?

Hi all,

I am replacing a tow release in a 1/3 scale ship - it was not closing well, and there is an aerotow the last weekend of the month (Muncie, IN).

Any sources? I need to order one asap to be ready for the trip.

Thanks!
Brent
BrentD is offline Find More Posts by BrentD
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2007, 12:54 PM
United States, CO, Delta
Joined Oct 2005
495 Posts
Tow Release

Hobby Lobby has them. Icare,Northeast Sailplanes,Soaring Usa, has them.
paul dufek is offline Find More Posts by paul dufek
Old Apr 15, 2007, 04:27 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,754 Posts
Dymond carries a really nice large throat release. (At least they did last time I checked!)
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Apr 15, 2007, 09:17 PM
SOARMINDED
United States, OK, Mannford
Joined Jul 2006
410 Posts
1/3 scale tow release

Hi BrentD,
Like S2000 said Dymond has one and I bought one in Dec. and just got it out of my supply box to do some measurements for you for a size refrence. It is 2 1/4" long and it is 1/2" outside dia. but it has a thickwall design so it isn't qute 3/8" inside Lobby one except this one has a machined front edge that a large washer slids on to. The washer sits back 1/2" from the nose of the release. The washer provided is roughly 7/8" in outside dia. I like this one because it is sealed in the back and debri can't inter the fuse. Bad thing is if you do nose it in to soft mud you might be spraying water in there to clean out the junk! The arm on it is very thick i would say like 14 gauge and it has a nice smooth gentle curve to the release arm. The cost was $9.95. They stock them. I also picked up a few canopy latches like that are on most kits sold today the one with the red body with the sliding pin they were $4.50 they also had the cockpit kits there I bought a few sets the 1/3 scale size was $6.50 for the seatbelt set made by Multiplex he only had about 10 sets of those left in Dec. I also picked up a 1/3 scale sliding window in Dymonds on packaging and that was $4.50 and it came with the tiny screws to secure it to the canopy. They had instrument handles and control sticks in Dymonds own packaging also 1/3 scale that was $9.50 looks like Multiplex stuff. I bought there instrument kit but there is no price on the kit I remember him looking it up at the checkout stand. They had a smaller nose release and I bought 4 or 5 but gave them away to other club members that were in need. I think they were small like the small one Hobby Lobby sells. If you can't find a release I will send this one to you if you get in a bind just PM . I bought it for my 1/3 scale but that won't start for another month. Plus that gives me another reason to go shopping down iin LA and maybe hit up SoarUSA They had another canopy latch that has a metal round body with a knurdle end nice quality that was $ 4.25 Anyway hope this help you or anyone else.
Jerry
GNX430 is offline Find More Posts by GNX430