HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2013, 01:57 AM
Joined Oct 2013
3 Posts
Discussion
Novice and Best multirotor.

Hi All,
I am sure this will have been discussed but I am a novice at blogging as well as RC so please bear with me.
I am in Queensland, Australia and am looking to get into aerial property photography as a second business, (I am a real estate agent). I don't really want to spend more than around $4000 for a complete RTF package and would like advise on some options, (the ability to upgrade at a later date would be good also). It seems that the GoPro Hero3 or new + model is the way to go for the camera?
Are quadrotors less stable than 6 or 8?
I have loads more questions so maybe someone can point me to other beginner blogs/sites to answer them rather than post lots on here?

All help much appreciated

Thanks in advance.
Newtoo is offline Find More Posts by Newtoo
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2013, 02:32 AM
United States, ID, Pocatello
Joined Apr 2013
590 Posts
Dont jump in the deep end of the pool before you can swim.

Start small and progress through the hobby.

A rtf micro quad should be your first buy, blade nano, walkera ladybird, etc.
_Milo_ is online now Find More Posts by _Milo_
Old Oct 03, 2013, 02:43 AM
United States, WA, St John
Joined Jun 2012
614 Posts
Well hopefully I'm not reading your post wrong but you definitely don't want to start out on a $4000 multirotor. Consider getting a hobby grade multi first, learning the controls with it, and then step up to a professional grade one when you are ready.

However I really think you are limiting yourself by just looking at RTF options. You would be able to build an amazing multicopter that would be able to do the heavy lifting that good aerial photography requires, at under half of your max budget. Maybe even a quarter of your budget if you shop wisely.

It's my opinion that the multirotor platform is still in its infancy. The RTF Hobby grade options out there are good but not great. The professional options out there are incredible pieces of engineering but they are prohibitively expensive ($6000-$16,000) So with some careful product selections and decent construction you can build a multi with 90% of the capability of a pro rig at a fraction of the cost.

As far as Tri vs Quad vs Hex vs Octo, each has it's advantages and disadvantages. Stability on all those platforms can be rock solid though and shouldn't really be a consideration when choosing between them.

Short rundown of my opinion on these.
Tri-Large distance between rotors is great for AP, no rotors in the shot. Very high yaw rate for maneuverability. No redundancy, added complexity with a servo (minor downside)

Quad-Most common configuration, easy to make or buy frames. More difficult to keep the props out of the shot for AP. Mechanically very simple.

Hex-Greater lift capacity with redundancy. Complex wiring, more complicated hub. Impossible to keep props out of frame with a hub mounted camera so camera must be mounted under the frame.

Octo-Very similar to Hex except adds greater redundancy.

Also some people simply prefer to go for a larger motor on a simpler configuration to get the lift capacity they want, while others like to have many smaller motors doing the same job. It's all a matter of preference.

Good luck to ya, whatever you decide to do.
Jimmy the Heater is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy the Heater
Old Oct 03, 2013, 09:26 AM
Professional UAV Services
Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,445 Posts
You are not legally allowed to do it without a license and operators certificate anyways and if you are just getting into multirotors then you wont get anyone to sign off on your training.....

I don't want to offend but do us all a favour and hire a professional like myself, we are not that expensive if you are just looking for some advertising shots (normally we charge around $200 - $500 for a single flight for real estate photos) and we are qualified and insured, PM me if you want more info.
Redemptioner is offline Find More Posts by Redemptioner
Old Oct 03, 2013, 10:16 PM
United States, WA, St John
Joined Jun 2012
614 Posts
Ahhhh didn't know that was the case in Australia. I'm sure the OP is gonna be glad you brought that to his attention. That would suck to spend 4k only to find out you can't legally fly it.
Jimmy the Heater is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy the Heater
Old Oct 04, 2013, 04:10 AM
Professional UAV Services
Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Ahhhh didn't know that was the case in Australia. I'm sure the OP is gonna be glad you brought that to his attention. That would suck to spend 4k only to find out you can't legally fly it.
Yeah mate, and real estate usage is one of only a few areas CASA is watching. You start having a bunch of advertisements showing aerial shots or one complaint from a neighbour any they will be on you like "white on rice" and the fine is nothing to sneeze at.

I have a couple of regular real estate clients and one of them has been contacted 3 times from CASA (good to see CASA is keeping good records...lol).
Redemptioner is offline Find More Posts by Redemptioner