SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 05, 2014, 02:05 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
carguy1994ca's Avatar
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrack View Post
Glitch? Bad connection/solder joint?
Who ? Me ? Not truly LOS with the tricopter when inside the covered bridge and I was in 5,8 ghz, so video went bad. I could have made it, but I was nervous and wasn't up to par to pilot inside that confined space with bad video Nothing broken really except a landing leg, easily repairable.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2014, 02:22 PM
Registered User
Shadrack's Avatar
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,919 Posts
No, was talking to Billy about his problem.
Glad to know you had a glitch too.
I am not the only one.
We did this pic yesterday with the Mamba's.
Shadrack is online now Find More Posts by Shadrack
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2014, 03:01 PM
Sometimes I fly. sometimes not
rallymanm's Avatar
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2013
28 Posts
One of the guys in our club has built an amazing quad - his own design that fies like a planeocopter. Check out the video
Madness "Fusion" (1 min 28 sec)
rallymanm is offline Find More Posts by rallymanm
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2014, 03:25 PM
FPV it is!
Canada, SK
Joined Aug 2012
1,310 Posts
cool looking machine
Titus Gordon is online now Find More Posts by Titus Gordon
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2014, 03:29 PM
The best FPC impaler!
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jun 2012
53 Posts
Shadrack - Im in the peg too, i live close to IG field. Id love to get out with some other fpv'ers in the area. Ill send a PM.
Zector123 is offline Find More Posts by Zector123
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2014, 03:34 PM
Registered User
Shadrack's Avatar
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymanm View Post
One of the guys in our club has built an amazing quad - his own design that fies like a planeocopter. Check out the video
http://youtu.be/NR_X7OQEghI
Looks cool, but is it just a quad with a body?
Reason I ask is that if you want a "plane" quad, you should have the ability to have the motors power forward and tilt, plus have elevons, elevator, rudder, etc.
Something that you could put up high and turn off the motors and be able to "fly" so to speak.
I couldn't tell in this video if that was the case.
Shadrack is online now Find More Posts by Shadrack
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2014, 03:35 PM
Registered User
Shadrack's Avatar
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zector123 View Post
Shadrack - Im in the peg too, i live close to IG field. Id love to get out with some other fpv'ers in the area. Ill send a PM.
For sure. We are always heading out when Windfinder says it is worth it.
Send me a PM.
Shadrack is online now Find More Posts by Shadrack
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2014, 04:11 PM
Sometimes I fly. sometimes not
rallymanm's Avatar
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2013
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrack View Post
Looks cool, but is it just a quad with a body?
Reason I ask is that if you want a "plane" quad, you should have the ability to have the motors power forward and tilt, plus have elevons, elevator, rudder, etc.
Something that you could put up high and turn off the motors and be able to "fly" so to speak.
I couldn't tell in this video if that was the case.
The rear motors are tilted out at 30 degrees. I think the body and front wings give an orientation that a plane guy like me needs to figure which way round the thing is oriented. And it flies different from an ordinary quad. Just interesting I thought - kinda looks like a fast eagle with a fan tail
rallymanm is offline Find More Posts by rallymanm
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2014, 04:26 PM
"I landed it"
MEGAjig's Avatar
Canada, ON, Caledon
Joined Mar 2013
99 Posts
Help

Hello Fellow Canadian FPVers,

I have some sad news. On Saturday evening I lost 2 meter glider with FPV gear over a conservation area. I have spent the last two days walking (15km and 5+ hours) through fields, forests, and bush. The ESC on my plane fried during my first climb in a high wind setting and I lost full control over the plane (first time flying without a BEC and the ESC died). Luckily my FPV gear was powered by a separate battery. By the time I realized what was going on I was going vertical (down) right into a brown grass field and hit a small pine tree. A pretty rare and distinctive tree for this area.
I have a rough idea of where I crashed but my foot search came up empty.

So if any of you live in the Toronto (Hwy 7 and 427) area and has a reliable FPV setup and would be willing to fly over some fields to get an aerial view of the area I would be very grateful. It is a big 2m red and white foam plane, so it should be pretty easy to spot.

In the image below the light red is where I have walked (the other image shows gps tracking on my phone). The blue is for sure the boundary of where I "landed" and the red circle is a 1.2km mark from the take off point. I had clear video signal upon impact so I know I was roughly within that range. The wind was blowing from the top left of the image to the bottom right. The reason I walked where I did is because to my knowledge that is the only area where that type of pine tree grows.

Thank you
MEGAjig is offline Find More Posts by MEGAjig
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2014, 05:19 PM
Registered User
Shadrack's Avatar
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymanm View Post
The rear motors are tilted out at 30 degrees. I think the body and front wings give an orientation that a plane guy like me needs to figure which way round the thing is oriented. And it flies different from an ordinary quad. Just interesting I thought - kinda looks like a fast eagle with a fan tail
It is cool looking.
There is a tricopter that does this, but actually has the whole tilt mechanism, etc. Expensive though.
Shadrack is online now Find More Posts by Shadrack
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2014, 05:20 PM
Registered User
Shadrack's Avatar
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGAjig View Post
Hello Fellow Canadian FPVers,

I have some sad news. On Saturday evening I lost 2 meter glider with FPV gear over a conservation area. I have spent the last two days walking (15km and 5+ hours) through fields, forests, and bush. The ESC on my plane fried during my first climb in a high wind setting and I lost full control over the plane (first time flying without a BEC and the ESC died). Luckily my FPV gear was powered by a separate battery. By the time I realized what was going on I was going vertical (down) right into a brown grass field and hit a small pine tree. A pretty rare and distinctive tree for this area.
I have a rough idea of where I crashed but my foot search came up empty.

So if any of you live in the Toronto (Hwy 7 and 427) area and has a reliable FPV setup and would be willing to fly over some fields to get an aerial view of the area I would be very grateful. It is a big 2m red and white foam plane, so it should be pretty easy to spot.

In the image below the light red is where I have walked (the other image shows gps tracking on my phone). The blue is for sure the boundary of where I "landed" and the red circle is a 1.2km mark from the take off point. I had clear video signal upon impact so I know I was roughly within that range. The wind was blowing from the top left of the image to the bottom right. The reason I walked where I did is because to my knowledge that is the only area where that type of pine tree grows.

Thank you
Post this with the TBRC guys out of Toronto. They are great guys, they would probably help if they fly close to there.
Shadrack is online now Find More Posts by Shadrack
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2014, 07:24 PM
Registered User
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jun 2013
586 Posts
...
Thoren is offline Find More Posts by Thoren
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thoren; May 09, 2014 at 11:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2014, 07:31 PM
Crashing is my thing.
MayMayDay's Avatar
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
1,833 Posts
I've heard through a friend that it's all pretty legal actually. He has a friend that works in a surveying company with multis and they don't need any certification. Reason why? Most of the transmitters we use are unidirectional, which don't require licenses. Once you get into bidirectional things get a bit more complicated.

This is all second hand though, so don't take it as fact.
MayMayDay is online now Find More Posts by MayMayDay
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2014, 07:40 PM
fly by night
BCSaltchucker's Avatar
Joined Sep 2011
5,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoren View Post
MAAC is not were you want to get info on this. 0.75mw? On what band? Watts or ERP? It's a meaningless number they have quoted.

Look further into Industry Canada's web site and you will find other info such as 300mw on ISM bands without licences, secondary user and not allowed to interfere with primary users. 900MHz is not a ham band. So where are you transmitting video?

73 de Alan
of course, you are wrong too.

here is the the list of HAM bands, some of which us HAms are 2ndary users
https://www.rac.ca/en/rac/services/b...ns/allband.php

902-928MHz is indeed a HAM band

ISM is not really designated for amateur video transmissions.

here is a more accurate look at how IC looks at these frequencies:
Quote:
at 900MHz - 5.8GHz a North American license-free device is allowed 50mV/meter at 3 meters of radiated field strength. Translating this to an equivalent RF power when a 0dBi antenna is used, would be about 0.5 milliwatts ERP (0.0005 watts). If the antenna has gain then the RF power would need to be less in order to be compliant with the regulations. So, approved transmitters will include the allowed antenna; any optional accessory antennas would need to be listed in the submitted test data.
http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.ph...hz-at-4w-eirp/

so in reality
1/ no vTx can be used legally without a license (either HAM or having a IC licensed device) that more than 1mW of power, more likely a fraction one 1 mW of power. NOT even in the 900 band.
2/ it is murky for us FPVers - there is no clear designation that we can use Ham license for video transmission from a model airplane at all.
3/ a lot of the 2.4, 5.8 Bands the regulations are murky also, suggesting we have to be dynamic frequency sharing devices, the likes of which do not exist yet in FPV
4/ there is an exception: TBS sells a 25mW licensed vTx on the 5.8 band - no HAM needed. also too little power for most FPV purposes
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2014, 07:46 PM
Registered User
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jun 2013
586 Posts
...
Thoren is offline Find More Posts by Thoren
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thoren; May 09, 2014 at 11:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Canadian-ized ....eh micro_doc Foamies (Kits) 3 Sep 30, 2014 09:11 PM
For Sale Skylark EH-1 old n5ktt Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 Mar 24, 2012 06:49 PM
Discussion Eh, eh, eh. 5KW 123 pack dusty IV Batteries and Chargers 6 Dec 31, 2008 07:58 PM
Eh any other Canadian Micro Heli's out there? HBirdV.2 Micro Helis 13 Jul 28, 2004 12:38 AM
What does EH stand for in this pack? [N-600AA (EH)] Skysaurus Electric Plane Talk 1 Nov 27, 2001 11:41 AM