Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:38 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,783 Posts
Discussion
HO-229 log in micro.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1754423

working on a stick and tissue ho-229. just working off of a 3 view drawing.

its 1/32 scale, assuming wiki is correct (55 ft WS) should look nice flying next to the parkzone ultra micro series.

what you all think?
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:15 AM
Hallo von Dresden
Joined Sep 2012
55 Posts
Hi Nemo, what are you going to power this with or is it pure glider?

Jens
Segelflieger is offline Find More Posts by Segelflieger
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,783 Posts
twin 7mm coreless motors with air hogs props for the foam version. and 20mm EDF (i hope) for the final version.
B.I.M. has made up some very small EDF's, there are three motors, 7mm brushed, 8.4mm brushed and 10mm Brushless. i got 2 7mm powered edfs and 4 10mm BL powered edf snd rotors to match. CW and CCW rotation on the EDF, hoping to avoid any 'torque roll' problesm. tho, right now im grounded, as my tx broke
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:09 PM
Hallo von Dresden
Joined Sep 2012
55 Posts
Too bad about the TX, any chance of fixing it?

Jens
Segelflieger is offline Find More Posts by Segelflieger
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:09 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,783 Posts
yes, in fact i got it fixed. but the TX module was giving me trouble, and it was 6ch anyways, so i sold it for scrap and bought a 14ch dsm2/dsmx module from hobbyking. its going in my new 9x. i flashed it with open 9x. its got something crazy like 32 mixes. but its still on the slow boat from china. (funny how that phrase got reversed)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:03 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,166 Posts
Which are you building KFM or ribbed Airfoil.
Ribbed at least would suggest 8 degrees of tip washout/twist. Dunno about KFM.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:32 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,783 Posts
both. the KFM did need alot of wash out. the balsa version i am buiding is destine to be a glider. again, i will need wash out, and i built some in, i just dotn know how it will work. still need to finish it.

but the kfm needed a lot.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:27 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,783 Posts
tossed my balsa glider with washout built in...not enough. im not going to mod that airframe. guess time to design model number 4, or is it 5...
i got my EDF's in, BTW, but they are a bit too small and need 10mm bl motors that are out of stock. ill be getting some little bigger edfs that should work.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:59 PM
Joined Jan 2007
113 Posts
Cool little project.
Horten Freak is offline Find More Posts by Horten Freak
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:58 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,783 Posts
so i dont lose my data, heres what i got. im still missing one page (the wing) but i am starting to reconstruct this. my glider did not fly, needed 'up elevator' not sure what the term is. wash out is what the term id use.

these are still very rough.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:17 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,783 Posts
okay... still stuck on how to consistantly add reflex? or twist to the wing to function as 'up elevator'. (some one tell me what the right word is, please.)

so im going back and redesigning it. i will be shortening the wings airfoil T.E. by 2cm and adding the last 2cm as flat bits. eaiser to make.

im eventually shooting for a kit or plans.

will probly go with mechanical elevrons with drag rudders.
or i might just delete the rudders.

eventually i want to scale this up to 1/16, or 40 inches. sound big to me! (but right for some 55mm edfs )

tomorrow i hope to do nothing all day and get something built.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:48 AM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,428 Posts
The usual term is twist (http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/nf_1.htm).

There are several ways to add consistent twist. Most involve building the wing in a jig that holds the twist. Just read through the threads here to see how others do it.

One way I've started doing is to actually build the jig into the ribs. Check out the plans on my rubber powered flying wing thread. This is quite common actually, once all the structure is in place just cut out the wing from the jig. The down side is that it takes more effort to draft the plans because you have to think through how much each rib should rotate and to align the leading and trailing edges properly.

Another problem the built in jig solves is that most flying wing airfoils have highly rounded bottoms which would make it difficult to build on a flat surface. The flat bottom of the built in jig makes aligning the ribs correctly a simple task.

Another common technique is to build the wing flat. Then once completed twist the tips to the required amount and then cover it. With this technique you'd need fairly stiff covering like balsa or foam to hold the twist. You'd still need a jig to hold the twist. Only with this technique you'd be using a separate, external jig.

Yet another common method requires you to build the jig first, then place each rib in its correct place in the jig. This obviously requires more work since you'll be building two things - one of which doesn't fly.

And yet another common method, among foam builders, is to simply place the template for the root and the tip at the correct locations with the correct twist and then place blank, uncut foam at the rib positions and then use a hot wire cutter to automatically cut all the ribs at once based on the root and tip templates. I believe this is called the "lazer method".

And finally, a less common but very effective method is to use the Paoli wing method. Build the wing flat, then cut out the elevons, then reattach the left elevon on the right wing and the right elevon on the left wing. You end up with a wing with an aerodynamic twist because the trailing edge at the tips are now inverted.
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman