HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:58 PM
TRB
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2005
91 Posts
Discussion
Battery for slow stick--lipo?

I've been out of RC planes for about 10 years, but I still have my radio. I want to buy a Slow Stick for flying at a local park.

Lipos were just coming out when I quit RC.

I used to have a 9.6V AAA pack, but I can't find it. I have a Hobbico Quck Charger MkII, so I could buy a lipo. But is it worth it? Nimh packs are heavier, but I remember my Slow Stick flying better with a camera on it anyway.
Daravon is offline Find More Posts by Daravon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:21 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
don't charge a LiPo with that charger, it does not have a balance port. I had that charger and back then, if you overdischarged the lipo, you eventually could ignite a lipo.

When I had a Slow stick, I flew a small 3S Lipo. I flew a brushless motor though. Original motor only was good enough for a 2S. Go find a Slow stick thread in the park flyer section. Figure out a battery budget and get something. $50 will get you a battery and cheap charger. $100 will get you a couple batteries and a better charger.

WELCOME BACK!
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:25 PM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
If you are using the original brushed motor....becareful.

They come in 2 versions....the 350 and the 400. The 350 can only use a 2 cell lipo or it will burn out the brushes VERY quickly, sometimes on the first flight. The 400 motor however can use a 3 cell lipo and give a long life. My 400 brushed motor had over 200 flights on it when I gave it to a friend of mine who is still using it.

I used a 10x6 GWS prop on the 400. I think the 350 uses a much larger prop, so be sure to watch that you are using the correct prop for the motor you get.

Cliff
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:29 PM
TRB
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2005
91 Posts
Does anyone know a good place to buy a 9.6V AAA pack? Is pretty much any NiMh pack equivalent?

I've been into flashlights recently, and I'm a huge fan of low-self-discharge nimh cells like Eneloops. Are these used in modeling as well? The low-self-discharge feature isn't that important, but they are really good cells besides...
Daravon is offline Find More Posts by Daravon