HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
Discussion
Need help on building my own foamie! NOOBIE HERE

Well hello. I have just joined this forum and well lately ive been really in to rc plane flying. Now other then construction assembly and supplys, everything electronic so motors, servos( minus the setup with the ailerons, elevator and rutter and how to attach them to the ), ESC's etc I am practically clueless on construction, modeling and assembly plus the materials to use and when to use them. Id like to please know things such as (ive tried researching on the internet but no luck or at least nothing for a beginner to understand):

1. What the measurements of everything should be (from the wingspan to fuselage) and the form factor of it (the shape) plus the positioning of the objects

2. How to make the ailerons and elevator out of the foam from cutting it and like attaching it to the servo's (I understand people use like wire that attaches to the servo from but that's really it, i dont understand how they make it like a hinge, im clueless there )

3.Where to position all of the servos, and dow rods (I dont even know when i should use them, the dow rods)

Things like this i just dont know how to do. Im sorry for doing this. I just PLEASE want like a link to a pdf or a video to show me everything from a-z and also how I can use it for other models. NO, i dont not want a kit plus I dont want to spend a lot. Thanks you so much.

Oh and one more thing please, Can you guys reccoment a site where I can buy all of the tech (transmitter,receiver, brushless motor, servos, esc) all for a good price and reasonable quality, plus I live in Canada Quebec so I hope they ship to there. THANKS A WHOLE BUNCH AND SORRY FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS! Im a noobie
Orza is offline Find More Posts by Orza
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:53 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
this would be a lot easier if you bought a kit....... chances are if you make one without any experience it will fly horridly. you need some decent modeling skills to build something from scratch. id suggest a plane from www.twistedhobbys.com. brad offers international shipping so you could get it no problem. also, buying a kit with a power combo is going to be cheaper than buying separately, unless you feel like buying crappy electronics from HobbyKing and waiting a month for it to come.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:08 PM
USA, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined Dec 2010
213 Posts
Yes, scratch building is not for noobs (I was there once ). Unless it's a profile plane, it will be very difficult.

+1 on twistedhobbys.com. Excellent EPP 3D planes if that's what you're looking for.

As for electronics, you would be very lucky to be able to order everything from one seller, which is why twisted hobbys offers power combos! But if you do want to piece together your own system, some good websites are hobbypartz.com, epbuddy.com, quantumhobby.com, and of course hobbyking.com. Beware of hobbyking though, it usually takes forever to get your items.

If you want tutorials and stuff, check out the noobie forum or the scratch building forum. Those places should be able to fill you in on the details you asked about (hinges, control horns, electronics placement, etc).

If you want some good free plans for an EPP 3D plane, check out sdparkflyers.com! I've seen quite a few videos of those designs in action, and they're great flyers! Or leadfeather's EPP yak 55 is good too!

You can also buy sheet foam, hardware, and glue at rcfoam.com.

Happy flying
3dflyboy1 is offline Find More Posts by 3dflyboy1
Last edited by 3dflyboy1; Aug 08, 2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:18 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
When you say you're a noobie does that mean you don't have any experience flying rc? You may want to check out the foamies (scratchbuilt) section of the forum. You'll find plans for trainers like the blu-baby and ezfly as well as tips on building planes. This section is for 3D foamies (which are not quite for beginners). You're going to have to do a good bit of reading and research if you're going to try and build something with no flying experience, it won't be easy. A kit will certainly help a bit as they come with the necessary hardware, have some of the work done for you and will have decent instructions outlining how to go about building it. There are also some fairly cheap trainers that come prebuilt like the hobbyzone champ or hobbyzone firebird stratos.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:25 PM
USA, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined Dec 2010
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
There are also some fairly cheap trainers that come prebuilt like the hobbyzone champ
Yes! +1 for the hobbyzone champ! Great little bird.
3dflyboy1 is offline Find More Posts by 3dflyboy1