SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:20 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radu7 View Post
What settings did you go with on your D650 servos on the HB800-FBL and the ALZRC 3GY V2 as far as the frequency (Hz)? I can't seem to find that info for the Solar servos (or the EXI digitals). I was planning on just starting at 65Hz and bumping it up until they got too warm and then back it back down. You would think a digital could handle 200Hz at least, but I'm seeing on the BeastX website's latest servo list that some digitals (Align DS410) are only recommended for 65Hz which I thought was odd.

Many digital servos aren't designed to work with a high frequency signal. Until flybarless systems started becoming common there wasn't much need for a digital servo to run at 333mhz unless it was a tail servo. Even with flybarless systems frequency isn't nearly as important on cyclic as it is on the tail. Analog servos like the HS-65 can function well at 50hz on a flybarless system.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:53 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,369 Posts
Quote:
What settings did you go with on your D650 servos on the HB800-FBL and the ALZRC 3GY V2 as far as the frequency (Hz)? I can't seem to find that info for the Solar servos (or the EXI digitals). I was planning on just starting at 65Hz and bumping it up until they got too warm and then back it back down. You would think a digital could handle 200Hz at least, but I'm seeing on the BeastX website's latest servo list that some digitals (Align DS410) are only recommended for 65Hz which I thought was odd.

Also, what are people using for the motor esc/throttle frequency in the Robird software? I'm assuming that has to do with the esc itself (HobbyWing Platinum Pro 40a in my case).

Thanks,
Anthony
Anthony,

Off the top of my head for the HB800 I have it set for 200Hz on the cyclics from day one without any issues. For the 3GY I have cyclics set at 1.5ms@250Hz and motor/esc set at 1.5ms@250Hz without issue. I use a cheap HK 40amp ESC.
ridge_racer is online now Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Last edited by ridge_racer; Jul 20, 2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:33 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,135 Posts
As promised some piccies of my Robird G31 / GY V2 on my Protos, not much to see unfortunately - I have managed to tidy up the wiring a bit, but there is just a lot of it perhaps I need to move on to 2 x sats.

The "floor" of the plastic framed Protos is not perpendicular to the mainshaft, hence the wedge underneath the G31
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:56 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,301 Posts
Thanks for the pictures,does the motor cause interference being so close to the gyro?I have wanted to move mine but was concerned.
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:03 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
Thanks for the pictures,does the motor cause interference being so close to the gyro?I have wanted to move mine but was concerned.
Steve
Not that I've noticed - it works very nicely
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Dec 2011
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Anthony,

Off the top of my head for the HB800 I have it set for 200Hz on the cyclics from day one without any issues. For the 3GY I have cyclics set at 1.5ms@250Hz and motor/esc set at 1.5ms@250Hz without issue. I use a cheap HK 40amp ESC.
Thanks for the info! I'll go with those settings once I get my gyros. Based on the videos of your flying it seems those gyros, servos and settings work well for you.
radu7 is offline Find More Posts by radu7
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:29 PM
RobirdUSA.com
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Looking for help with the G31

Hey guys - I've installed a G31 on my Tarot 450 and have had multiple difficulties along the way. I've worked my way thru almost all and have succeeded in getting thru the entire programming process. I am ready to maiden the heli, or at least I thought I was.

When I plug the flight battery in and initialize the system the tail servo starts oscillating back and forth. It doesn't seem to be in the center anymore and although I had previously set the tail endpoints the servo arm sits further away from center (with the rudder stick at mid-point). When the servo is oscillating like this the rudder stick has no affect on moving the tail. The tail sensor direction works intermittently.

The tail servo is a Henge MD922. The link ball on the tail servo is set to the innermost hole (nearest to the center). The cyclics are Henge MD933. The servo frequencies for both are the same: 250Hz.

I upgraded the firmware to the latest version before I started the programmimg process.

Any ideas?
SDHeliPilot is offline Find More Posts by SDHeliPilot
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:14 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
2,071 Posts
seems a lot of people are having problems with these "cheaper flybarless units" myself included..i plan from now on to stray away from them after my experience with the cx1000..seems the more expensive units have less problems reported , could be due to better quality electronics used or could just be luck..
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:18 PM
RobirdUSA.com
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Looking for help with the G31

Oh, I forgot to also mention this oscillation is happening as the heli is stationary. That is to say I am not adding any throttle (its at zero). I don't want to spool it up until I know that the tail is moving when I give it inputs.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:46 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,301 Posts
I would check your wiring, sounds like one of the gyro wires is in the wrong location.Does the gyro change to blue when it binds?Could also be a bad tail servo but the rudder control should have some affect if everything is conected right.
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:52 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_marty View Post
seems a lot of people are having problems with these "cheaper flybarless units" myself included..i plan from now on to stray away from them after my experience with the cx1000..seems the more expensive units have less problems reported , could be due to better quality electronics used or could just be luck..
I feel for you Marty,but there are a lot of us having good luck with the low-cost units as well. I'm not sure if it is just luck of the draw or set-up differences, but I have a G31 plus 2 Tarot ZYX's and 3 3X1000's and an ALZRC 3GYS as well as 2 x Beastx (yeah - a bit greedy I know) and they are all working well. A lot of people had issues with the Beastx in the ealy days, but as users got to know the quirks and how to set them up they became much more respected.

The low-cost units aren't very tolerant of vibes or static and there is a certain amount of confusion around some of the settings, but with patience and the help on here most people get there in the end.

Good luck,
Mike.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:02 PM
RobirdUSA.com
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Problems with the G31

KauaiGuy - The Status light is red when I start up in Throttle Hold. When I switch off Throttle Hold the Status light changes to blue. That action is OK.

This is the second tail servo I've had to put on during the setup. The first one got HOT and started smoking. During the setup process I was using a battery pack of 4 AA batteries and a switch plugged into the Motor port on the G31.

I'll recheck all of my wiring again to be double-double sure. Thx.

Any other ideas guys? I am determined to make this work because it is a good gyro, it's most likely something I did or didn't do.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:15 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
You were probably running 6v on gear that might not be safe on 6v. That's probably why your servo smoked. What servo were you using? Did you set it up through a computer? You provided no helpful information.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:21 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,369 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info! I'll go with those settings once I get my gyros. Based on the videos of your flying it seems those gyros, servos and settings work well for you.
It is very stable and works well for me. The video with me flying is actually with cheap analog servos (Turnigy Mg-90s) It flies better now since I can run about 70% elevator/aileron gain vs 50% with analog servos.
ridge_racer is online now Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:23 PM
RobirdUSA.com
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Problems with the G31

Boredom.is.me:

Please see my first posting, #157. I list the Henge servos that I'm using as well as setting them up at 250Hz on the software.

I have these same servos on another Tarot 450 heli using a Spektrum AR7200BX and they work fine. Same batteries,etc and I've been flying it for 6+ months without issue. The Henge servos are capable of handling 6.0V.