P Limit :100
I Gain: 25
I Limit: 20

Yaw pitch axis:

P Gain: 100
P Limit: 100
I Gain 20
I Limit 20

Does that look ok, or could it be better?

Cheers

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:57 AM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upup View Post
Well there is this ( also suits my style of flying MRs )

http://vimeo.com/51951048

jeff
Hobbyking does not sell that
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:58 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Halton View Post
Thanks again for your input!

I think you nailed it, I made up some crescent shaped skids from PVC sheet today, I moved the battery backwards the other day and got the CG correct, but since adding the skids, of course the weight will go forwards as there are 2 skids in front of the CG and only 1 behind..

I have moved the batter further back now (incidentally the pics you saw before were just with the battery sat on the front, just to test the motors, so yes I can see what you mean, but since then I had balanced it)

The battery pack now is a lot further back to get the CG, and is overhanging the plate by some 30 mm.

I haven't tried AL yet, just wanted to see how it would behave in the off settings. I'll transcribe my settings on my board very soon, so maybe you could check them over and tell me what you think?

I was expecting it to behave how you described, 3 feet up or so, and that's what I'd like to see it do!

Back soon

Matt
FWIW, my tri flew without auto-level. In fact I never set to to get it calibrated (when I rebuild the frame to get flying again I'll give it a shot). I got as far as switching it on when I was flying and the tri headed out left and forward so I switched it off.

I was got into trouble with it when I inadvertently turned it on. Had insufficient control to get the tri home (it was windy though). I think the stock AL settings are quite tame.

I was using all stock 1.2 FW tri settings. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5455

You'll nail it. I found it easier to take off when I just gave a good shot of throttle to "spring" into the air. I did find when I was being "tentative" that the tail (usually) would sometimes seem to lift first. Getting into the air quickly seemed to let the KK board start doing it's stuff and levelling things. In the not quite airborne mode, it does an adjustment, which doesn't change things because of the ground contact, so it does more (I think).

You'll get there!

This video doesn't show taking off, but it was where I was at.

cheers,
Andrew

Tricopter 2nd Flight (1 min 44 sec)

PS. Meant to add, your skids should change the CG, although there are two up front, they are closer to the CG so it all should pretty much balance out.
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:18 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo5 View Post
FWIW, my tri flew without auto-level. In fact I never set to to get it calibrated (when I rebuild the frame to get flying again I'll give it a shot). I got as far as switching it on when I was flying and the tri headed out left and forward so I switched it off.

I was got into trouble with it when I inadvertently turned it on. Had insufficient control to get the tri home (it was windy though). I think the stock AL settings are quite tame.

I was using all stock 1.2 FW tri settings. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5455

You'll nail it. I found it easier to take off when I just gave a good shot of throttle to "spring" into the air. I did find when I was being "tentative" that the tail (usually) would sometimes seem to lift first. Getting into the air quickly seemed to let the KK board start doing it's stuff and levelling things. In the not quite airborne mode, it does an adjustment, which doesn't change things because of the ground contact, so it does more (I think).

You'll get there!

This video doesn't show taking off, but it was where I was at.

cheers,
Andrew

http://youtu.be/SK92fhFo3QM

PS. Meant to add, your skids should change the CG, although there are two up front, they are closer to the CG so it all should pretty much balance out.
Thanks Andrew, you's looks way steadier than mine did.
Actually on one of my last hops I did nail the throttle a bit and if just rapidly started to tilt tail up first, the revs were pretty high from the tail motor, more than my prior attempts, weird.., but with my CG way forward as it was, I suppose that isn't too surprising, lol.
I can't get my head around why the CG moved so much further forward with those skids on, they aren't particularly heavy

Do you think my board settings look ok, or should I change them? Am going to leave SL for now. Will recalibrate my sensors on a level surface again before another flight attempt .

Cheers

Matt
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:24 PM
Highland, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,124 Posts
Quote:
Will recalibrate my sensors on a level surface again before another flight attempt Matt
Most tri's don't hover "level" even with CW / CCW props. Normally one side is a few degrees low caused by the side thrust of the slightly tilted rear prop. Try to simulate this attitude when doing "sensor calibration" then auto level should hold position better.
cyhyam is offline Find More Posts by cyhyam
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:25 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,418 Posts
My tricopter's motors all spin the same direction, and it causes the Tri to hover at an angle. If I reverse all 3 motors, it tilts the opposite way.

If you want it to hover level, you need to have the front motors rotating in opposite directions.
AcroFPV is online now Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:31 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,914 Posts
My front motors are CCW/CW so should be ok right? I'll try again after recalibrating, then if it's more stable with correct CG I'll get a better idea...I guess, lol.

Thanks guys

Matt
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:37 PM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
That's not a real crash test. Let's see it drop down onto concrete from about 200 feet up in the air.
Hi That was not the reason to post the video but I dont know a multirotor that could take that type of punishment

amazing IMHumbleO

Jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:43 PM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCO2010 View Post
Wow ! That thing is super strong but ,don't get me wrong...I wanna fly my quad without crashing and this thing will make me a bad pilot...that's just me ...
I have already achieved bad pilot status ..keep up will you

Jeff
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:49 PM
Highland, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,124 Posts
Quote:
My front motors are CCW/CW so should be ok right? I'll try again after recalibrating, then if it's more stable with correct CG I'll get a better idea...I guess, lol.Matt
Having the front motors countering each other helps a lot, but the rear motors torque is not countered by another so there will still be some torque (yaw) which will be countered by the rear motor tilted slightly in a hover. When the yaw is canceled the resultant is a slight tilt in the model.
cyhyam is offline Find More Posts by cyhyam
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:00 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
912 Posts
Quote:
It may not be a temperature issue. Do you have a value of zero for the yaw in the receiver test menu? If not, adj your sub trims on the tx till it does. Also check that one of the motors is not tilted as that may cause it to yaw.

Since every quad is different, best way to get the optimum PI settings for your quad is to lower the igain to 0 for all channels and raise the Pgain until you see the quad oscillate quickly. Then lower the Pgain by 5 until it stops. Then start with an igain value half of the pgain and do the same until it wobbles then back it off.

On my quad which is about 500mm I have all my limits set to 20.
I turn my quad upside down on a flat surface and see if the props (motors) are in the correct plane. Check at two different angles. One in line with the boom and one perpendicular to the booms. A motor/prop that is out of alignment will cause a lot of induced yaw.

Sudsy
Sudsy is offline Find More Posts by Sudsy
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:05 PM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyhyam View Post
Having the front motors countering each other helps a lot, but the rear motors torque is not countered by another so there will still be some torque (yaw) which will be countered by the rear motor tilted slightly in a hover. When the yaw is canceled the resultant is a slight tilt in the model.
could also try tilting the front motors slightly to one side worked for me on my Tri

Jeff
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:42 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
I'm having PI issues too. What I'm seeing is tune P, set I to 50% and NOW I get high speed oscillation and some jumpiness in height ( 6 inch jumps up or down on occasion ) so I turn down P. I also keep raising I, now at higher than P and still can't induce low speed oscillation or hold an angle.
If you're not getting low speed oscillations by tunring up the Igain then leave Igain at half of what the pgain is.
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:49 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
If you're not getting low speed oscillations by tunring up the Igain then leave Igain at half of what the pgain is.
I'm also not getting angle hold, it will drift back quickly to "level" over 5-10 seconds. My understand is that properly tuned it should hold the angle it is given with a proper I value.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Aug 2012
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyibox View Post
anyone's tested Y4 setup with success?
I tested the Y4 setup, but it was very disappointing. It flew, but yaw authority was almost non-existent.
The good news is that it will be quite easy to convert your copter into a VTail. This is how my VTail flies:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68787338/VC-VTail.mp4
RC911 is offline Find More Posts by RC911
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My T-shaped multirotors