HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by dag214, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:17 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,040 Posts
Discussion
The Next One

This will be a thread on what my next project will be.

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:20 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,040 Posts
152" Mosquito

The drawings are about 99.9% done. I started this design as a 215" project, but decided to scale back when I saw the spinners would be about 13", and the main wheels would be 17".

The 3D part has not been started, but the CAD is so close I know it will work....

So at this point she will be 152".

DAG
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:23 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,040 Posts
Or this!!!

DAG
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:25 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,040 Posts
Or this one........
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:29 PM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,205 Posts
The Mosquito is my favorite aircraft, and I am almost to the point of building one--I think my skill is now up to making a decent model. But I don't have your ability, so I have to cheat and rely on others. I have been assembling a Bob Holman kit--have his plans, laser cut parts, fiberglass and clear parts, and picked up a set of Unitracts International retracts for this model from the UK. Will be electric, of course, and will likely do two--a fixed gear knockabout and then the really well done retract version. One of these days...Pete M
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Last edited by pmisuinas; Jan 27, 2012 at 06:58 AM. Reason: correct retract company
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:21 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2008
441 Posts
That airplane even "I" would consider building!!! love that bird!! even if it is a pesky..Bug you have to swat!
coptercptn is offline Find More Posts by coptercptn
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:33 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Nov 2009
168 Posts
Mosquito would be the #1 pick with the C130 at second and the A-7 last. I have a soft spot for multi-engine craft, Granted a giant ducted fan jet sounds awesome.

Looking back at the A7 thread and the C130 thread... This is how I answer the question now, If you want business as usual quick and fairly easy build, go with the Mosquito, though all builds have their quirks. If you want one to Really push you into something relatively new (assuming this after reading your thread :P) and full of testing and thinking, twin fan ducted A7 All the way. And something In-between, go for the C130.
asd9000 is online now Find More Posts by asd9000
Last edited by asd9000; Jan 18, 2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:36 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,614 Posts
I'd vote for the A7 first, but that's just me. I love the idea of the twin 127's in the bifurcated duct you have designed

- Birger
bdelapen is online now Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:47 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,685 Posts
In my eyes the Mossie is far and away the most beautiful, the most historical, and the most elegant of the three. The Corsair & Hercules are close behind, about neck & neck for completely different reasons.

But to watch any of them coming together would be an enjoyable education. The Peacemaker thread has demonstrated the power of Internet fora and intelligent collective discussion, and the possibility of another is a tantalising carrot!

But lets get the B36 in the air first, eh DAG???

Rock on, big fella!!!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:13 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,040 Posts
As I am sure you all know when I travel, or it is late at night when I can't make noise in the shop is when I get my design time and my creative juices flowing.

I have to define my next project in many ways. I have to take into account the easy balanced with the hard, while the spinner, and main gear on the Mosquito are huge thing to over come, the DF and main gear on the A7 are equally as huge, as is the main gear and the reversible props on the C130.

I know I will build all 3 of these planes as well as the C1 Trader over the next 5-6 years. But I will not build anything with more than 2 nacelles for a very long time, unless it is a B-58. The 6 flaps, 6 nacelles, the main gear, the sheer complexity of the 36 has taken its toll, but the dang thing is so close to done that it is now seeming like just yesterday I started it. I will also never spend the money on a project like I have the B36, just unreal the money pit it has became.....

If I was a betting man the next project is between the Mosquito and the A7. The C-130 the more I design it just screams R&D on those dang reversible props.... and that my friends is $$$$$$$$$

Thanks, DAG
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:44 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,063 Posts
All those whirley things spinning around; why not a nice vintage glider?
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:51 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
The Mosquito is what I would choose. Even the construction material will be scale with a wooden fuselage.

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:38 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,040 Posts
Last week I was a bit under the weather and worked had me slammed so i got a bunch of design time in as I didn't get much done on my 36.

After looking at these items to consider:
Cost
Design Time
Build Time
R&D
Tools I have
Tools I need
and over all time.....

I have narrowed the next project to these-
A7
Mosquito

Both will have challenges.
Mosquito-Spinners, Main Gear.
A7-Main Gear, Wing Folding

If I had to bet today it will be the A7. But I plan on getting the design of both 100% done, then deciding.

DAG
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:03 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,063 Posts
I've just been leafing through an old book of my late father's about the history of the P51. The F83 would be interesting...
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:06 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
I have narrowed the next project to these-
A7
Mosquito

Both will have challenges.
Mosquito-Spinners, Main Gear.
A7-Main Gear, Wing Folding

If I had to bet today it will be the A7......
DAG
DAG; how could it not be the DH98 Mosquito....?

De Haviland Mosquitos and Supermarine Spitfires 2006-merlins (0 min 36 sec)
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink